Age differences and relations

Giaguara

Chmod 760
Staff member
Mod
Just curious... how much age difference do you have to your girl/boyfriend/wife/man/etc? How big age difference do you think is "normal", "ok", "acceptable" .. and what is not something acceptable? Of course every relation is person to person but .. what do you think, what do you have and what have you had (and did it work)?

As well, is it ok for the man to have a girl 10 or 20 years younger than him, but that situation be "not ok" if the woman is the older one?

Where I grew up, the couples were generally of the same age, men being 2-10 years older. Of the friends of my parents, I think I can't really call a couple where the woman would have been the older. And among uncles etc, there were a few who had 20 years or more age difference. Those uncles with that big age difference to their wives seemed ok, the wives seemed just to be older than they really were, and no one seemed to judge their decision to be together. Man being the older one was the norm, so a 20 years younger wife seemed ok, but .. the wife being a year older seemed to be so rare.

Now .. it seems people are more used to diversity. Not only age, but as well people from cultures that would have been .. far more rare .. in many parts of Europe. A few friends of mine have had a boyfriend younger than them (not like 1-2 years but 8 or so), and the reason they split up was not caused by the age.

I have changed of what I was and thought years ago. I used to be for a long time with someone nearly 10 years older than me, and it seemed fine (as he had a big Peter Pan syndrome). Well - now this guy is getting closer to his 40 years, and is with someone half of his age. I think it is a bit .. much. But in this particular case it will work - untill she will be a bit older and grow up. When he'll probably go to someone younger again, just to avoid growing up.

For a short time I've frequented someone with even more ge difference, 13 or so years more than me. That felt just too much. Six year was something that seemed fine at the time. Now ... I'm noticing the people of my age think too old for my taste. :rolleyes: so 2 years seems pretty much ok now (he being the older one), but amazing .. I feel far less mature than I used to .. oh well. I'm feeling younger and younger, so I guess if I'll ever change again I'll prefer the younger ones.. :eek:

Awhile ago I had a short relationship with a woman 10 years my junior.The issue of age never came up.During our time together we seemed to gel pretty good,but alas my personality was eventually determined not to be compatible with hers.(note:she uses windows) Now my sister has a husband who is 18 years older than she is, they get along like two peas in a pod.

markceltic said:
Awhile ago I had a short relationship with a woman 10 years my junior.The issue of age never came up.During our time together we seemed to gel pretty good,but alas my personality was eventually determined not to be compatible with hers.(note:she uses windows)

:D heh... Yep. Mac users are a lot more satisfactory to date ...

my last one was 5 years younger, though she was mentally much older than she was physically. in the end though, that seems to be the deciding factor, if you can relate to these people on a level that is compatible, then the physical age thing shouldnt be a problem. unless of course you have to take time off work cause your boyfriend/girlfriend needs a hip replacement or something. then its just weird. :confused:

oh yeah, and i converted her to Mac!

my girlfriend is almost 3 years older and things worked fine for 5 years and surely will work even better in the future. We are going to move together. I tend to hang around with ppl that are 5 years or more older than me. Maybe that changed my way and fields of interest. However, it seems much harder for me to have a nice conversation with my friends from school. I think the fields of interest are the major compatibility "plug". Age doesn't matter at all, if you ask me.

One of my distant uncles is 20 years older than his wife, my other uncle is 10 years older...plus my friend's mom is 8 years older than her husband. Personally, I don't think it matters. Whatever you are comfortable with, and one shouldn't really care about what others think.

My wife and I met about 10 years ago (we've been married for 4 years). I am turning 32 this year (December) and she's 26 (turns 27 in January of 2005).

When we first met, we met online (actually, on a BBS that the college I was attending hosted). This was 10 years ago....sometime in January...and we actually met in person in November of that same year. Do the math.. :D We actually met in person earlier than that (1993) from a mutual friend, but didn't realize it until one year later.

For the record, we didn't really get involved until she turned 18. And it's been a rollercoaster ever since. :p Just ask our son who will be 3 in a month. ;)

My wife is 2 years older than I am and I do still get the occasional joke about marring an "older woman". Ha Ha. I don't really think that it counts though as we are still so close in age that we were in the same (graduate level) crop at the university.

The fact that even such a small difference in age in that direction can be joked about that though does point to some deep forces at work. If you think about the situation in purely biological terms a younger man marring an older woman is not very advantageous from the perspective of either one of them.

• Older males tend to have higher status in the society and batter access to resources. So it is better to marry an older man.
  • Older women have fewer reproductive years in front of them and higher risks associated with pregnancy in general. Marrying a younger woman increases the number of children and their chances of survival.

With that in mind the standard pattern as well as the "trophy wife" thing makes lots of sense to both parties. It also makes sense that there are some social or biological pressures to discourage young male / older female pairings since objectively both are suboptimal mates. Of course there are other factors that enter the matter so that is not to say that in individual cases the scales won't tip the other way.

Another interesting aspect of these dynamics in relationships are the ways they influence patters of infidelity in relationships. For instance from the female perspective it makes sense to marry the best provider you can for your children and then sneak off to gather the best genes elsewhere. Of course from the male perspective it is not a good situation for you to spend you scarce resources raising a child that is not your own. This is part of the reason that the reaction to female infidelity is so strong (in some cultures she is put to death) while it is not so strong in the case of male infidelity. In the latter case the stakes are not so high. An interesting aside to this is that one case of female infidelity that is not as strongly stigmatized is that of stereotypical late middle aged woman and the "pool boy". In this case she is at the end of the reproductive phase of her life and there is little risk of her husband having to support a child he did not sire. And heaven forbid she would never leave her husband to marry the pool boy.

Please don't read any moral judgments in to what I wrote above I did not intend there to be any (I just wanted to illustrate some of things). This is just an interesting subject and it is fascinating to see how these somewhat indirect forces have shaped our lives over time. It is also interesting to see how the power shifts that are the result of technological advancements over time fit in, everything from contraception and paternity tests to disposable cellphones with built in GPS enter the equation.

-Eric

My grandfather is 91 and his second wife is now 58 they have been married for 21 years. But he's Hungarian so he'll probably dump her in the next few years for someone a bit younger.

My boyfriend is 13 years older than me. I used to say that being the youngest child of five kids, that I was more comfortable around more mature people. (Do the age differences in your relationships mirror being the oldest/youngest child?)

We've recently hit our 13th aniversary which means I'm now the age he was when we met. I don't really notice the age difference as much now as I did when I was only 21.

I guess there is a bigger difference between 18-28 than between 30-40.

mi5moav said:
My grandfather is 91 and his second wife is now 58 they have been married for 21 years. But he's Hungarian so he'll probably dump her in the next few years for someone a bit younger.
My boyfriends grandparents got married when she was 16 and he was 21.

They've been married for 75 years!!!!

mi5moav said:
wow, i'm sure Bush loves paying out their social security
lol Social Security barely even existed when they were working. Hell, they retired over 40 years ago!

I'm sure they get something, but because it is based on earnings + SSI taxes paid I'm sure it is very little.

TommyWillB said:
My boyfriend is 13 years older than me... We've recently hit our 13th aniversary... I guess there is a bigger difference between 18-28 than between 30-40.

Dang it man get hitched! ;) All politics aside isn't the violence done to the English language by forcing 40 year olds to refer to their boy/girlfriends of 13 years enough to justify gay marriage! Come on think of the syllables...

-Eric

lurk said:
Dang it man get hitched! ;) All politics aside isn't the violence done to the English language by forcing 40 year olds to refer to their boy/girlfriends of 13 years enough to justify gay marriage! Come on think of the syllables...

-Eric
I don't want to veer too far off the topic of this thread... but as I've said before, the day US federal law allows this is the day we'll do it!

I've got my fingers crossed that this will happen by our 15th anniversary :) ... but I also was confident that we'd be getting married in Hawaii for our 5th! :(

I guess this is not the thread for it, but I feel like saying something. Lurk brought up the topic of infidelity. (And I know it was mentioned you were not trying to bring up any moral issues, thats fine.) I am just bothered how much it seems to me that infidelity is so rampant, and its happening way too often, to the point its almost tolerated. It bothers me, thankfully its not destroying my relationship with my girlfriend. But every time I hear of it, it makes me mad. Almost makes me want to live the single life. This was not meant to be a vent, maybe indirectly it was...I just needed a place to say what I felt on this manner...I did not mean to harm anyone here, tell me if I did. I guess my view on relationships is old fashioned, or too conservative. I just dont see why one should consider infidelity and cheating as something that may happen when entering a relationship in the first place. What is breeding this lack of commitment?

TommyWillB said:
My boyfriends grandparents got married when she was 16 and he was 21.

They've been married for 75 years!!!!
"'Till death do you part" actually meant something to them, apparently. :)

I still have some road to drive apparently... we are married for 20 years this year :)

I am three years older than my Fiance. I think when it comes to what is allowable, though, of more importance than the absolute age difference, is the relative age difference. For instance, it would just be wrong for an 18 year old to be dating an eight year old on a number of levels. Even, say, a twenty eight year old dating an eighteen year old seems a little off to me. But a sixty year old with a fifty year old would be just fine. Ten years age gap in all cases, but in some it would be ok, and in others not. I can't say where I would draw the line, though.

Back