AHH! Help! 17" ADC Monitor wont work! Read!

drunkmac

has a mac beyond repair
I got this great 17" ADC Studio Display off ebay. I have a powerbook 12" though. So I ran out and got a DVI to ADC Adaptor. I did this and hooked it all up and my monitor doesnt do anything. When I press the power button on the monitor, it acts like a power button for my powerbook asking me which way Id like to shut down. This is aggrevating and I wanna get it working so I can try out Halo! Help me please! Thanks!

Also, I just noticed. I connected the displays and etc. Theres nothing on the monitor, yet I can roll my mouse over to it like a 2nd display. This is so depressing! I want this monitor to work! The brightness button doesnt do anything either. I have display detection turned on and it detects it, lets me choose a resolution, etc. I dont know why it wont work.

Uh oh... you may want to contact the seller of that display and check and see if it was working when the person shipped it to you.

Also, the DVI-to-ADC converter has a few extra cables, I think, like for power and USB and what-not... are all of them hooked up exactly as they should be? I don't mean to patronize, I just wanna start at the beginning and make sure everything's hooked up right first!

Yes it was working when they shipped it, it was packaged VERY well when it came. I have every little thing hooked up. Apple is sending me a new ADC to DVI adaptor but I dont think thats the problem.

Hmm... well, what resolution/refresh rate does your system try to apply to the monitor when you auto-detect it? What happens if you set it to mirror the displays? Can you try and set the ADC monitor to something that would unsoubtedly be supported -- like 1024x768 @ 85Hz? I don't know if that's possible, since the display preference pane pops up on EACH monitor and applies settings for the monitors individually, and since you can't see the external monitor, that may be a little hard to do... hmm... try mirroring the dislay and report back...

Good luck!

Find a Mac with an ADC out on the video card (just to try it) You should find out if the monitor really works, or not (regardless of what the seller told you)

I have one of these monitors, I love it.

However the DVI to ADC adapter will not work with the 17" CRT. The problem is the adapter provides a purely digital signal and the CRT display is analogue. Your power button and USB should work as normal but you won't get any video.

To my knowledge no company make an ADC adapter that sends an analogue signal, so it's an ADC video card or nothing with this monitor.

...ARGHHHH!!! So basically my only option is to buy a Powermac G4 Tower with an ADC card right?

Basically yeah or replace of the monitor.

Since it's a true work of art (I'm never getting rid of mine) I'd get a G4 Cube, they go perfectly together. You know you want to ;)

Cube is too expensive. But yeah, I went to the Apple store right near me and we checked it out for an hour. You were right MightyAtom. I am now selling the monitor on ebay. Check out classifieds for it.

Back