Another Switcher...Macbook or Macbook Pro?

Eagle23

Registered
Hello! I am making the switch from PC to Mac. My parents are planning on getting me a new computer for school, but I cannot decide between a Macbook or Macbook Pro. I will be using the laptop for internet, word documents, pictures, a little bit of video editing, some games, basic stuff. I plan on using Bootcamp for some of my old PC games (RollerCoaster Tycoon, The Sims, Civilization 3). I know you guys get this question a lot, but I cannot decide between the two laptops because of all the negative things I hear about both of them (the discolored Macbooks, the whine and heat issue of the Macbook Pro, etc). Right now I’m using a Dell Inspiron 8500 Notebook and it definitely has heat issues and the fan can definitely get loud. Thanks in advance for the help!

Eagle23 said:
... but I cannot decide between the two laptops because of all the negative things I hear about both of them (the discolored Macbooks, the whine and heat issue of the Macbook Pro, etc). Right now I’m using a Dell Inspiron 8500 Notebook and it definitely has heat issues and the fan can definitely get loud ...
If you are going to dwell on the negative issues that you read about (which is in a small percentage of total sold, and not a general problem), then get another Dell. I'm sure you'll find plenty of negatives to complain about...(LOL)

Anyway, Apple seems to be addressing those concerns. I read that the newest MacBooks have a slight change to the plastics, so get a new one, and not a re-furbished model. Some users report no unusual noises from their MacBook Pro, so there you go....
What's the main advantages? The MacBook has similar processors and other features for significantly less money. The MacBook Pro will have somewhat better video performance, larger screen options, options for the screen finish, and additional possible options for connection to external devices, etc

Technologically, the MacBook Pro's biggest advantage is its video card. If you plan to play new games, you'll probably want the Pro's graphics. It could also make video editing smoother and faster, but that depends on the kind of video editing you'd be doing.

As for the problems some people are having with each...I don't know what to say. It seems like the MacBook Pro's problems (heat/noise) are more normal and widespread than the MacBook's (discoloration), and also more serious.

Personally, I think the MacBook is the better value. The Pro doesn't offer much more, is a lot more expensive, and is naturally hotter/louder. But then again, I'm not on the cutting edge of the PC gaming world, so weigh my opinion accordingly.

it sounds like u wont really be playing hard core graphics games like doom and games like that

if you are just editing videos im guesing u you will be playing around in imovie and then changing formats from like mpg to avi or stuff like that then i would get the macbook (great value for money as well)

only get the macbook pro if you are going to be doing some serious video editing or planing to play brand new graphic demanding games

The Mac Book has shared memory for the video, kind of a let down when the old I Books had a 32mg video card. If you plan on doing Photo Shop ect ect then go for the Pro.

it really is just down to games really. i got someone to buy a macbook, a white one, and he said it's the fastest computer he's ever used. he can't get over just how fast it it is (1.83ghz)...

the shared graphics are still relatively powerful, but not full half-life2/doom3 with-all-the-options good is all. video encoding is almost totally down the processor. photoshop will run better on a macbook than virtually any other computer pretty much, other than a macbook pro... i would probably get the mac book. it's smaller, lighter, nicer and a lot cheaper.

hawki18 said:
The Mac Book has shared memory for the video, kind of a let down when the old I Books had a 32mg video card. If you plan on doing Photo Shop ect ect then go for the Pro.
Even with shared video memory, the Intel graphics chipset will generally outperform the video on older iBooks.

My take is this. Both computers appear to be well received. If you plan to take your laptop on the move frequently, for example, everyday to class, library, etc. I would go with MacBook. Not that a PB is not as portable, I feel not as durable as the iBook or MacBook.
Conversely, if you plan to remain more stationary with your computer, then I would go with the MacBook Pro.

Since you are given the choice of either from your parents. I would go with the MacBook Pro, because why not!!!!!

Hello! I am making the switch from PC to Mac. My parents are planning on getting me a new computer for school, but I cannot decide between a Macbook or Macbook Pro....I know you guys get this question a lot, but I cannot decide between the two laptops

Go to an Apple Store and check the two out. The MacBook and Pro are a bit different, the keyboards are different, the Pro 'does' run quite a bit hotter from what I've seen. I went to the store about noon after they've had the demo machines up for a couple hours and saw how hot the Pro is under the middle of the unit, for me it was hot enough to not consider as I use mine as a laptop. I also liked the MacBook keyboard better than the Pro model.

I bought a 2GHz MacBook and increased the memory to 1GB and disk to 100GB which was a nice price point for me. Parallels is 'very' nice for running the occasional Windows apps, certainly faster than running XP on the Dell D600 I switched from.

Go to an Apple Store and check the two out. The MacBook and Pro are a bit different, the keyboards are different, the Pro 'does' run quite a bit hotter from what I've seen. I went to the store about noon after they've had the demo machines up for a couple hours and saw how hot the Pro is under the middle of the unit, for me it was hot enough to not consider as I use mine as a laptop. I also liked the MacBook keyboard better than the Pro model.

I bought a 2GHz MacBook and increased the memory to 1GB and disk to 100GB which was a nice price point for me. Parallels is 'very' nice for running the occasional Windows apps, certainly faster than running XP on the Dell D600 I switched from.
I concir. I just got a MacBook, got the 2GHz, but upgraded to 2gigs (don't buy it from the apple store, I only paid 180 for the RAM, it was 500 at the apple store...)

The size and weight was a big thing to me, I wanted something I could take with me and the 13" is great!

Back