Any good tutorials on installing Boot Camp and Windows XP?

Perishingflames

Registered
I am definitely not using Apple's sucky one. It led me right to overwriting my HD last time.

Does anyone know of any good tutorials to do this?

Thanks

Boot Camp IS NOT AN INSTALLER!!! All it is is a hard disk partitioner and driver burner for Windows drivers. The driver are so Windows can recognize the internal camera, keyboard backlighting, etc.

Hmm, thank you for the factual reply. I really appreciate it. You should get like an award or something- best helper of the year.

Anyone else?

Not really factual - Boot Camp no longer provides for burning the Windows installer CD. The drivers are now installed from the Leopard installer disk.
The problem that you have experienced was not likely because of some fault with the Boot Camp setup, or the instructions provided with Boot Camp.
If you want to point a blaming finger - point in the normal direction - toward Microsoft. The Windows installer is the one that likely caused you to inadvertently restart to the Windows installer, and offered to reinstall Windows. (not a fault of Boot Camp)
When you finish the Windows install, and the system reboots to complete that Windows install (you're still completely in Windows), you will see a brief screen asking you to 'Press any key to boot to the CD' - and you should not press the 'any' key, because you don't want the installer to start again, and have it ask you to use the partition - again - so restrain your key-pressing fingers at that point. That point is where many folks unfamiliar with the Windows install, go off the path to partition hell. If one of your other partitions is a 'foreign' or non-windows partition (such as Mac OS X partition), you will run the risk of losing another partition. Such is life with Microsoft. :D

Hmm, thank you for the factual reply. I really appreciate it. You should get like an award or something- best helper of the year.

Anyone else?

What else do you want? here are the SIMPLE in instructions:

1. Buy Windows XP or Vista.
2. Buy get/use a blank CDR for when the program ask for it.
3. Startup Boot Camp "/Applications/Utilities/Boot Camp Assistant .
4. When the program starts print out the "Print installation & Setup Guide"
5. Follow the guide.

Here are website to walk you through the setup: Boot Camp Installation & Setup Guide.

Your Welcome!

I agree completely with Satcomer
You don't need to have a CD-R on hand.
Boot Camp does not burn the driver CD with Leopard, so install Windows, then, insert your Leopard DVD, and the Windows drivers will install automatically.

I have some experience with Boot Camp, only done the Boot Camp plus Windows XP or Vista about 50 times. The install has failed once or twice, but it was a Windows disk error, and not some problem with the install, or the Boot Camp.
Leopard has smoothed out the whole process in my experience, except Windows remains Windows, with all that goes along with Windows.... :)

Last edited:
Wait, so back to what Delta said, where did I go wrong installing Windows? I was sure I selected the right drive, is there something I had to do that wasn't said in the install guide?

Thanks

I offer the opinion that you went wrong by wanting to install Windows in the first place - - :D
"something I had to do that wasn't said in the guide?"
What could that be?
The correct partition to choose will be the C: drive - and you can double-check by knowing approximately what size you chose to make the partition. I like to format NTFS (Quick), then the install happens. The computer reboots at completion, and you would see (briefly) "press any key to boot from the CD" which will start the installer again, and mess up your great install. You don't want to boot to the CD at that point, so don't press a key when you see that screen, just keep hands off unless the install asks for input, or to make choices, don't make changes to the default install unless you have experience with Windows installs. Mostly - don't press a key when the Windows asks you to 'press any key to boot to the CD' - it's a poor way to initiate you into the marvelous world of Windows.... (not an Apple or Boot Camp issue), and Microsoft does all that to help you :)

Well, I am 100% sure I chose the C:/ drive that had the partition. And, it only gave me the option to format it using NTSF; I was planning on FAt, but I was never presented the option.

If you chose to make a partition larger than 32GB, then NTFS would be your only choice during the Windows install. 32GB is the upper limit for the default Windows installation with a fat32 partition.

if you're having trouble, download Fusion, or Parallels demo and see if you like it. This is a simpler way to get it running, and you don't need to partition anything. With Fusion, you'll get a single file (package) that you can move to any drive, and click on it to run windows, it's all contained in that file.

Back