Anything I can do about this?

jprupas

Registered
I keep loosing my connection to my wireless router after a few days.

I come home and my MBP isn't connected to the router via airport. When I re-select the network on the airport icon it tries, then says "connection timed out".

I unplug the Netgear WGT624v4 wireless router for 10 secs, select it again and it works for several more days.

1. I wouldn't care except I have network cameras associated with this wireless router and my MBP and I loose remote connectivity when this happens.

2. Here is the hardware I am using:
NetGear WGT624v4
software V2.0.6_2.0.6NA
Wireless channel 6 select automatically for me
WEP automatic 64 bit strength
A single port forwarding and single static route

3. Even the wireless cameras loose connectivity

Please help :/

If you are losing connection to everything, and not just your MacBook Pro, then you should consider that your router may be wonky...
Your router is a 5 or 6 year old model, and routers do fail over time
You could try updating the firmware, which is 2.0.13 (the latest, I think)
Or - you could do a full reset of your router, and set up for your network again.

Have you checked for other wireless networks in range, that may be interfering with your own connection? You can use something like iStumbler to look for that.

Is there any particular reason that you are not using a more secure connection, such as WPA, or WPA2? WEP is not considered a secure form anymore.

Thanks DeltaMac for the info.

I didn't know these electronic devices fail over time. I figured there were no moving parts to fail.

I will update the firmware right now.

The reason I haven't tried the more secure connections is because I tried one time and had a heck of a time getting all my devices connected. The WEP seemed to just work without headaches. Thanks DeltaMac for the info.

I didn't know these electronic devices fail over time. I figured there were no moving parts to fail.

I will update the firmware right now.

The reason I haven't tried the more secure connections is because I tried one time and had a heck of a time getting all my devices connected. The WEP seemed to just work without headaches.

I have a TIVO, 2 MBPs, 2 Network cameras and several IPhones.

There are at least 10 networks my computer picks up bc I am in a large city and dense living. No cordless phones in my house though.

Can an old Tivo handle the the newer security.

I have a TIVO, 2 MBPs, 2 Network cameras and several IPhones.

Can an old Tivo handle the the newer security? Is your wireless router rock solid and if so, what do you use if you don't mind me asking?

No, I don't classify my router (a Belkin, BTW) as rock-solid. I restart it every day or two, because it drops. It's not annoying enough yet, so I simply bear with it.
Here's a few: I'd probably get the last one, if I was looking...
http://www.consumersearch.com/wireless-routers

I can't answer your question about your TIVO, or the net cams. The other devices will be OK with at least WPA.

You can scan your neighbor's networks, to see if you need to move your wireless to another channel. The goal is to be a minimum of 3 channels away from any other visible network. That could help your connections to be more reliable.

Devices may fail because of mechanical devices, yes, but that's not the only reason for failures. Electronics may fail due to heat, or age, or voltage surges.
Ah, but you may say that you have a power strip/surge suppressor...
If that is as old as your router, it may be time to replace that, too. I have seen several that are simply designed to accept surges, and have the surge protection fail (that's how they work), but the power strip still operates - with failed surge protection. Not a good design, I think, but that's how some are built.

Think of WEP (old broken encryption) and WPA or WPA2 (the newest wireless encryption)like an old walkie talky. You are a friend can talk on the walkie talky if you are on the same channel. Treat wireless encryption like this. Make sure all your wireless devices can receive the best encryption it can do. Then make your wireless router to that top common wireless encryption to that top encryption. So all you devices can be on the wireless encryption.

Thanks guys for your advice. I really do appreciate it. I have called tons of tech support people and the apple store and no one has explained it to me this way. But it all makes sense.

I will upgrade all my devices to the highest possible encryption. Sounds like that will fix the majority of the problems. Tivo says it can handle "WPA2(Personal)"

I will scan the other networks and see what channel they are on. And yes the modem and router are kept inside a cabinet where it gets pretty hot but I like them out of sight. Maybe I will have to keep them up top in the future.

I'll report back after I do all of this. Thanks again!!!

Back