Apple event September 5th confirmed

Today is the day. Let's all put on our anticipation hats.

Hoping for an 80GB 240ppi touchscreen widescreen video iPod w/ a new lickable interface largely based on circle menus for under $250. (I like to keep my expectations fairly low ;))

20.00 CET afaik. So it'll be available online laaaaaaaaate at night for us here in Europe. ;) (They always take our precious time before posting it online.)

From Engadget's coverage: ( http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/05/steve-jobs-live-apples-the-beat-goes-on-special-event/ )

New iPod nano
  • fatty design
  • coverflow
  • new colors
  • QVGA resolution 2" screen
  • 24 hours audio
  • 5 hours video
  • 4gb -- $149
  • 8gb -- $199
iPod classic
  • 80gb -- $250
  • 160gb -- $350
  • ships today
  • metal cases, silver or black
  • coverflow
  • 30 hours audio / 40 hours audio
  • 6 hours video / 7 hours video
iPod Touch
  • Same form factor as iPhone
  • WiFi
  • Safari
  • 8GB -- $299
  • 16GB -- $399
  • iTunes WiFi music store
  • 8mm thin
  • 22 hours audio
  • 5 hours video
  • Shipping worldwide
  • coverflow
  • YouTube
  • Photos
  • basically a phone-less iPhone
iTunes
  • iPhone ringtone support, 99c + cost of song

WiFi iTunes coming to iPhone via software update later this month.

Also, while at the local Starbucks you can buy the song playing via the WiFi iTunes interface.

Attachments

• dsc_7656.jpg
    dsc_7656.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 3
  • dsc_7655.jpg
    dsc_7655.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 3
  • dsc_7594.jpg
    dsc_7594.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 3
  • dsc_7610.jpg
    dsc_7610.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 4
  • dsc_7628.jpg
    dsc_7628.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 4
  • dsc_7671.jpg
    dsc_7671.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 3
Starting today, the iPhone is priced at $399 for the 8GB model.

Attachments

• dsc_7699.jpg
    dsc_7699.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 0
Wow, I've never had an Apple product have it's value reduced so quickly. ;) Oh well.

Yep, quite a shocker. But sounds good for the European release - the price ought to be down already by then. :)

Then again: What should *I* do now? It's not until sometime next year that Switzerland will be getting a first iPhone. I _do_ want the iPod touch, but then again that seems like a no-good decision if I'll get an iPhone in Summer '08. :/

Darn you, Apple, for creating more than _one_ product that fits my needs. ;)

Btw.: The iPod touch is a cool 8mm thinner than the iPhone according to macworld.com [ http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/09/04/livecoverage/index.php?pf=1 ]. I almost can't believe that. That'd be almost a centimeter. I thought the iPhone _was_ just about that thickness?

Guess they got that wrong. On http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html Apple says the iPod touch's 8mm thick - period.

To all the iPhone owners, I'm trying VERY hard not to say "I told you so"...

Darned it.....ah well. :p

Is it me or will the iPod touch now compete with the Nokia N800? I was interested in the N800 but now that will probably change. :D

Hehehehehehehe...

I can actually afford an 8GB iPhone! The new Nano is still fugly, although I'm awaiting the RDF watching the special event live... :)

Why the _heck_ have they removed the notes application from the iPod touch?! :/ Guess we'll see hacks to add such features from an iPhone sooner or later, but still: It seems like a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery strange omission.

Hm... the nanos are odd/sweet and hte 160 GB model sounds sweet too.
I can find enough need to get an iPod (hm.. the 20 GB from 2002 still works, iPod mini.. I gave to my sister, so 2 x iPod shuffles that don't really count, and a nano that isn't mine.. yea, I need one?), should just decide which one and which color. :)

If they will release Skype and other encrypted voip software for iPod touchscreen, who needs an iPhone?

i was afraid that the >80gb iPod was going to be all touch, and therefore un-navigable from a pocket. but then they made a lovely new perfect 160gb(!) iPod. excellent. thank you apple. i'll have a 160gb, then get an iPhone later on....

now, just got to resist buying it before christmas. or for that matter, before i get home from work tomoro....

If they will release Skype and other encrypted voip software for iPod touchscreen, who needs an iPhone?

Anyone who doesn't just want to listen but to talk as well. The iPod touch ain't got a microphone AFAIK.

Hmmn, not bad! I have the same dilemma as fryke though, if they have skype and email done well on the touch it'll do for me, else i will wait for a European (maybe 16gb) iphone.

Why the _heck_ have they removed the notes application from the iPod touch? ...It seems like a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery strange omission.

I get the impression that Apple were probably aiming at getting the iPod Touch and the iPhone to market at more or less the same time, and the pressure to get the iPhone to market pushed it forward by several weeks.

Well, I have to admit I'm tempted to ask Santa for an iPod touch this year. :p I don't really need another phone, but a handheld web browser / ebook reader / remote access to my Mac / etc would kick all sorts of behind. :D

Once again, Apple seems to be charging ahead where everyone else is just playing catch-up.

hmm, well the touch is very cool no doubt, and I literally was entering my debit card details during the keynote, but a couple things made me think twice, and now I'm not so sure.

- No email. It has a full browser but no email? wtf
- No notes application...again, wtf? The iPod is not powerful enough for notes?
- no maps. Not a huge issue for me, but again, if it has wifi there is no good reason for this.

I'm not a fan of artificially crippling features just so they can sell more iPhones.

Back