Apple event September 5th confirmed

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/28/its-on-apple-event-slated-for-september-5th/

looks like it is happening. And by the looks of the invite, it will very likely be something to do with the iPod.

this is perfect timing for me -- my iPod 5G died literally yesterday (HDD is dead. I dropped it one too many times).

So what do we think? touch screen iPod would seem likely, though the videos that have been floating around show a new iPod, but still with a click wheel.

it had better not just be an iPod 5G with Cover Flow.

The invite is *very* much iPod and Coverflow themed. I'd say a new iPod is about to make its appearance. Neato! :)

Time to finally replace my G2 iPod as i can't wait for a G2 iPhone - so I'm hoping for some touchscreen fun!

I'd definitely go with the possibility of the so-called iPod Touch, as I don't really see how Cover Flow would work with a click wheel. Sure you could spin it to move them along, but wouldn't that seem kind of strange?

It makes sense at this stage to introduce multi-touch to the high end iPod, as well as a widescreen panel. If the Nano remains 4:3 I'll be very disappointed.

You don't see how Cover Flow would work with a click wheel? Spinning through sounds like a _very_ reasonable motion for cover flow to me. I guess the nanos will get that.

So...

- iPod nano (fat) will get the iPod 5G's features more or less, in a smaller package. Sounds great. As long as they're not upping the prices too much.
- iPod touch will take the iPhone's interface and media features (and part of the looks). Sounds good as well.
- Beatles catalogue on iTunes. ("The beat goes on" is a direct quote.)

Whether iPhone Europe news will come along... I don't think they'll want to take the fokus away from the iPods here. But... What about the shuffle? Will it see some evolution or revolution? Upping the space of the shuffles doesn't make much sense, I think. The form factor is "okay" for a no-frills device. But... Frills maybe? ;)

The fat Nano is a fugly design. I would sell it immediately if I were to receive it as a gift.

newipods.jpg

(I do not take credit for this image, I merely agree with its purpose.)

And yet, in a few days, you might think differently. Don't underestimate the Reality Distortion Field.

newipods.jpg

(I do not take credit for this image, I merely agree with its purpose.)

Well, somebody had better get ready, because thats a whole lotta lawyers gearing up to hunt them down over that image, hehe. ;)

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Nano get only a slight bump in terms of features, capacity and price while the main iPod line goes all widescreen touchy feely. That seems like a sensible enough idea.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Nano get only a slight bump in terms of features, capacity and price while the main iPod line goes all widescreen touchy feely. That seems like a sensible enough idea.

I agree with you - as soon as they update the Nano too much, the price will shoot up with it. Maybe iPod Games will be available for the Nano soon?

They'd be available _only_ for the nano (and 5G iPods, of course) soon. Both the iPhone and a higher res iPod video/touch wouldn't run the current games. That's why I figure the nano going 320*240 to be correct.

And no I don't work for Apple. :)

The "iPod 6G interface" video is quite probably the interface for the iPod nano 3G. (The "fatty".) The picture of the "fatty" is thought to be a fake because of the background, mostly, but resembles what the text descriptions of the device describe.

The "iPod 6G interface" video is quite probably the interface for the iPod nano 3G.

I hope so. people (+me) have been hoping for/expecting a touch screen iPhone-style iPod for 2 years. If we get the same thing as the 5G, but with interface eye candy, it will be very disappointing.

We know they *could* create an iPod that is everything we want, but they may not deliver it for fear of cannibalising their iPhone sales.

They list the new IPods on Amazon the 8gig for $609 usd hope that is wrong I am not going to pay that kind of money for a new IPod, even it has touch screen and osx on it.

yikes. do you have a link?

I don't think so anyway -- that is even more expensive than the iPhone. The new iPod cannot be more than US $400 IMO, otherwise people will simply think 'may as well buy an iPhone -- or a Zune'

Back