Apple Expo Paris '04 discussion

I know I'll probably end up upgrading to an iMac G5, but man.

I can't help but think that Ives got smacked in the head hard.

Go3iverson said:
As far as squashing sales go, by not releasing the portable, they are squashing sales...PC -> Mac sales. I know tons of PC users who are completely ready to make the switch, but want portables and only want G5. Most of them gave up on waiting and bought new Dells. Yes, their loss, but Apple's loss as well.

Any reason why people are so impatient for the G5 in a Powerbook? The G4 isn't really a good laptop processor since it doesn't do dynamic CPU scaling, which is what all good laptop processors should do. I doubt the G5 supports this either.

Heat isn't the only issue with portables. Its power consumption. The 2Ghz G5 dissipates 25W at 2Ghz. It probably consumes slightly more than that. That's going to be quite a lot for a mobile processor.

I like the new G5 iMac, and I'll probably like it more in person. The price is now definitely affordable for a G5 system. With a G5 computer in such a thin case, I think the G5 powerbook will be around the corner .... MWSF baby!

I hope the next upgrade of the G5 will have a 2.0+ chip with a faster system bus.

Question though ... is the LCD the same as the cinema displays? Meaning is the resolution the same and are they high definition.

Viro said:
Any reason why people are so impatient for the G5 in a Powerbook? The G4 isn't really a good laptop processor since it doesn't do dynamic CPU scaling, which is what all good laptop processors should do. I doubt the G5 supports this either.

Heat isn't the only issue with portables. Its power consumption. The 2Ghz G5 dissipates 25W at 2Ghz. It probably consumes slightly more than that. That's going to be quite a lot for a mobile processor.

Yes, I understand that, but there are people, my boss included, who buy laptops with near top of the line P4 chips in them and are content with an hour of battery life for the added power they get when they use the machine at their desk. I agree about power consumption, I couldn't deal with that, but you have to remember, not everyone who wants to buy an Apple has been spoiled by Apple's long battery life and design. We all wait because we know something great will come out of it.

Placing my order tomorrow for the 17" with an 80Gb HDD and 512Mb of ram with integrated bluetooth...I can't wait!!!

Patience! You may be able to find one of those things to test it in an apple store even before mid September... hm, interesting design. Looks like a giant iPod..

O.K., enough about the new iMac. Go over to here to discuss the new iMac. I would like to see any news on the other exhibits at Expo.

Back