- 3 RAM slots
- 1 Firewire slot
- 2 USB slots
- Keyboard
- Mouse
- Mac OS X (no Mac OS 9)

This all for, say, 599$ or 699$.

Say: "Here you are."

People can then add a Radeon or GeForce of their liking, buy some RAM wherever and add a monitor. They can even use the one they're using on their PC right now. Ideal secondary machine to 'have a Mac, too'.

What do you think?

Naah. I doubt we'll ever see a Mac without a video card pre-installed, nor do I think Apple should release one.

Good thinking, but you're not gonna find anything with a G4 processor that cheap. It just ain't gonna happen, people. Yes, Apple can sell their machines cheaper. ANYONE who sells ANYTHING can sell their stuff cheaper, but why? They lose profit, and at a crucial point in time like this, I don't want Apple worrying about cutting corners and slashing prices -- I want them to focus on OS X and the future of computing.

Apple's prices aren't ridiculous. They're high, as are the prices of Porche, Hilfiger and Rolex. You pay a premium amount for a premium product. Is it TOO high? Nope. Apparently not.

Originally posted by ElDiabloConCaca
Naah. I doubt we'll ever see a Mac without a video card pre-installed, nor do I think Apple should release one.

Good thinking, but you're not gonna find anything with a G4 processor that cheap. It just ain't gonna happen, people. Yes, Apple can sell their machines cheaper. ANYONE who sells ANYTHING can sell their stuff cheaper, but why? They lose profit, and at a crucial point in time like this, I don't want Apple worrying about cutting corners and slashing prices -- I want them to focus on OS X and the future of computing.

Apple's prices aren't ridiculous. They're high, as are the prices of Porche, Hilfiger and Rolex. You pay a premium amount for a premium product. Is it TOO high? Nope. Apparently not.

Word. Is that a real picture of you in jail? :cool:

and it would blur the whole pro/consumer lines...

Better question:

why were you in jail??? And, did you make any new "friends" there?

Steve Jobs also claims Apple will gather 10% of market share. My guess would be that such a machine could help there... I know that Apple's prices aren't incredibly high, but they're also not incredibly low here in Europe, either. *And* such a machine would appeal to those who want to mess with their hardware. Install their own cards, RAM and the like. I personally would love to add such a machine next to my TiBook... And a PowerMac or an iMac are too expensive for a secondary computer. At least for me.

yes, but apple wants to make things simple, while also allowing for pro users to expand and tinker... thats why they simplify everything, instead of using numbers which could be confusing to the public.. when people go into the store to buy a computer, they consumer knows either a laptop, desktop, or tower... but with apple they use words instead of say HP who have numbers for their models

You'll probably be able to buy a PM G4 733 off of eBay for that price in the near future.

Originally posted by whitesaint

Word. Is that a real picture of you in jail? :cool:

Yup. San Quentin, November 1986. Cable TV theft and prostitution. Not proud of it, not proud at all.

And yes, Bubba and I have been inseparable since... ;) You're all invited to the wedding.

compared to what apple offered before the first iMac, the iMac wasn't very 'apple-ish' either.

same for the XServe.

if apple wants to make the 10% market share line, they have to target the market more aggressively. this can either happen through quality or price. quality has been good/better/best for the last few years (apart from the mhz myth/disaster), price has been good at best.

let's have a look at an ABC-analysis, which basically says that 80% of PC buyers (C) buy *very* low cost computers. apple simply is no competition there, as even the cheapest iMac II is considered a high end machine (price wise, not feature wise) in that area.

i think apple is in the (A) department and should diversify into the (B) department with such a machine.

im really glad theyre competing in the education department... theyre still not so much in the corporate world yet, besides graphical, web design or what not

I think they should, only with a 4x or 8x AGP (geeks love games) and another DDR ram slot (4). They should give a different name too, gMac just sounds like stupid
:cool:

this would never happen... apple is not going to ship a machine without a graphic card or Ram... it just wont happen...

if you are going to dream about a true geek mac, might as well make it better...

4x AGP
2 5.25 drive bays
2 3.25 drive bays
5-6 pci slots
dual g4 processors in a couple choices of configs... not just the fastest g4 out there
4 DDR ram slots
400mhz+ system bus speed

Let's say that your gMac is fine (I voted yes), <b>but</b> 3 USB would be fine (I work design out = scanner + printer + DSL, that's 3 USB ports needed) and 2 FireWire needed too (burner + audio/video stuff for instance).

Originally posted by toast
Let's say that your gMac is fine (I voted yes), <b>but</b> 3 USB would be fine (I work design out = scanner + printer + DSL, that's 3 USB ports needed) and 2 FireWire needed too (burner + audio/video stuff for instance).

Can't you just hub it?

Back