Apple to buy Sony? or Sony to buy apple?

Quicksilver

Find a golden apple.
Interesting mac news >> macnews.com + macrumors.com

If Sony aquired Apple i would be ANGRY, it would never be the same. But if Apple aquired Sony..... probably just another rumor.

From macnews.com

Apple soars to three-year high
March 5 - 16:40 EST** Shares of Apple rose to their highest price in more than three years on Friday in heavy volume trading. The stock climbed US$1.58, or more than 6 percent, to close at $26.74. Analysts attributed the jump to news on the early success of the iPod mini, and unsubstantiated rumors of a takeover by Sony. Apple rose $1.24, or more than 5 percent, to close at $25.16 on Thursday. This was the first time Apple's stock closed above $25 since May 2002.

This sort of rumour keeps doing the rounds.

This year, it's Sony playing the part of the white Knight. Last year, it was Sun.

When all is said and done, Steve Jobs is an egomaniacal genius. Can you see him allowing Apple to be subsumed by Sony unless he saw a way of getting to the top of Sony?

Think back to when NeXT took over Apple .. geddit? Gill Amelio certainly did.

There's certainly a lot of synergy between these two companies and they are working on a number of joint projects together, but then Apple do this kind of thing all of the time, so it's as well not to read too much into it.

Then again, I could be wrong... :rolleyes:

I doubt a buyout either way. But I do see that there could be several possible strategic alliances between the two. Sony music - ITMS - iPods. Sony Pictures - QT - Blue ray - Pixar. Sony CE devices - rondezvous. Sony PC's - PPC - OSX.

Let's not forget that it was Sony who made Firewire [a.k.a: iLink] the near-standard it is for video cameras.

If Apple could strike a deal with Sony to avoid them moving ahead with their own proprietary format for music and use the iTunes Music Store instead, it would be a dramatic step forward for Apple...

I would doubt Sony would even consider a Apple buy out, even if it was offered. Certainly, Apple is not in a position to buy out Sony. A Merger of sorts makes sense, as I am sure Sony would like a piece of the iTunes (iPod) rave.

There's far too many negatives here for any kind of coming together of these two media titans.

First of all, there's product overlap. The iPod would clash horribly with the Walkman line of products. The less said about the music stores the better.

The computer product line is another notable clash. However, in the recent past, Sony have been quite vocal of their desire to distance themselves from any dependancy on Microsoft, and would do if they could .. but they can't, so they won't.

Secondly -- and in my estimation, most significantly -- you end up with a dilution of brand identity. The result of which would be catastrophic for either party.

I think that the best chance of any kind of teamwork would be a hard-fought deal to bring Sony over to iTunes and let their Walkman brand of players work with iTunes.

Now that would be a colossal blow to Microsoft and serve the interests of both parties...

With Apple hitting highs in the stock market and it just going debt-free, it's bound to be an attractive option. But as others have said, an alliance makes more sense, and Apple execs did hint at more to come when then H-P deal was announced.

My bet is this has to do something with iTMS in Japan. Then Apple stock will hit hard after this. So sell now and buy it back after a couple on months. Then reap the benefits just before WWDC. Sell the day before WWDC then buy it back after. Apple stock is really easy to plan on if you look at the history of Wall Street's reaction to rumors.

note: I am not a professional finance person. So do not rely on my advice!

i dont see this ever ever happening. Apple could never buy out sony, and i just never see sony buying apple, ever

The only thing i could really see is a partnership between the two companies and nothing more

what i wanna see is Quicktime in Sony ericsson phones...
ive read that theyre working on it.. i want it NOW :)

yes. im aware of 3GPP and its quicktime support since the 1st day it came out. what im talking about is Quicktime in mobile phones :)
im a very big fan of apple and sony ericsson...
i dont think i need to say anything more :)

I guess this thread could be tied in here - our continuing discussion on Apple leading the way in home electronic "convergence": http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?p=294594

If something with Sony and Apple on this line would happen, I bet they could totally cream Microsoft in the market for digital hub/lifestyle/networked home media... convergence. (see the home automation thread for a few articles on how Sony and Microsoft are each going after different approaches to home media.

Yes, you're absolutely right.

I may have said as much earlier in the thread.

I think there's quite a few media-orientated companies like Sony who are growing increasingly tired of Microsoft's overtures towards their devices.

Sony aren't exactly thrilled with having to license Windows, so the idea of having to license some other proprietary format from Microsoft would probably be a step too far.

Apple have just the right balance of open standards and proprietary technology to allow for a very open arena, Microsoft on the other hand need to narrow this playing field and funnel everyone towards their way of doing things...

That's a good point.

I'm onto my third Nokia mobile, I find the others to be, well, shall we say: designed by and for the engineer and not the rest of us.

The first mobile I had was a Motorola .. its UI was awful. And most of the current crop [regardless of vendor] haven't improved one jot in 3 years.

At least Nokia know what they're doing...

Back