Apple's new iMac 24"

Wahay, and the first Core 2 Duo machine too - which gives me hope for the new MacBookPro I am dearly hoping they release soon so I can buy one :).

The only bummer about this (IMO) is that they don't offer a "glossy" display option on the 24" iMac. Other than that, this rocks!

I guess maybe the glossy would be good for desktops, but I'm still unsure about using it on laptops, I have enough trouble in sunlight already!

Aside from having 64 bit support, is there anything special about the Core 2 Duo processors?

Faster, not that much in terms of gigahertz, but they perform better per clock cycle I hear. Apple claim 1.5x performance increase on the previous Core Duo iMacs. For me I'm waiting for them as I'm hoping the next MacBook Pros', presumably using Core 2 Duo (Merom flavor, not sure if the iMacs use Conroe or Merom) will also iron out some of the hardware bugs.

For info on the large range of intel chips around now check this article predicting the MacPro would use the Xeon 5100 from the excellent Ars Technica: http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/promacs.ars .

Very nice.....makes my 17" iMac G5 look like a Mac Classic. :p Even still, I love my iMac G5. :D

Can't wait for the MacBook/MB Pro updates. :)

.. and I thought my iMac G5 17" was big. I think I'd rather opt for a cinema display, and be able to use it when I get a new computer. But that's me.

The new iMac's use Core 2 Duo processors (Meroms, I assume, but can anyone confirm?).

Also, Apple has made their education-only low-end model available to the public. (Raise your hand if you saw that coming!) This is good news. However, since the next model up has been dropped $100, the low-end seems overpriced now. It definitely offers less bang for the buck than the next in the line, which has more RAM, a SuperDrive, a dedicated video card, a faster processor and a remote for just $200 more. At this point, $799 or $899 seems like the right price for the low-end iMac, not $999. And why no remote? That's a bummer, since it makes it noticeably worse than a Mini.

Still, I'm glad Apple is finally offering a complete sub-$1000 system again.

And the high-end iMac now sports a true HD display. Niiiice. Man I want one of those monster iMacs.

Edit: Wait a second...didn't the old iMacs have 256MB of VRAM? The current high-end only has 128. That seems odd.

... Wait a second...didn't the old iMacs have 256MB of VRAM? The current high-end only has 128. That seems odd.

Yes, the older iMacs had 256MB on custom order only. standard was 128MB, same as today.
However, the video is a big step up in performance, and 256MB is also available as a custom order, and is an upgraded vid card, not just more video RAM.
The big 24-inch video is NOT built-in to the logic board, but is a separate video card (a Mobile Express Module (MXM) type II card), possibly upgradeable to future mobile-type vid cards ?? It would be a big job to do that, the iMac has to be completely disassembled to get at the video card, which is underneath the logic board.

I just got my Macbook less than a week ago :(.

Some people have predicted that the "consumer" lines will retain the core duo where the "pro" line gets the core 2 duo. The Mini upgrade kind of supports this, in which case it's probably not a big deal, unless, you forgot to type Pro after MacBook ;-)

Some people have predicted that the "consumer" lines will retain the core duo where the "pro" line gets the core 2 duo. The Mini upgrade kind of supports this, in which case it's probably not a big deal, unless, you forgot to type Pro after MacBook ;-)
Doesn't the fact that the iMac, the best-selling "consumer" desktop Apple sells, just got a Core 2 Duo disprove that?

Doesn't the fact that the iMac, the best-selling "consumer" desktop Apple sells, just got a Core 2 Duo disprove that?

Yeah, it definitely looks like we're repeating what the initial switch to Intel was. iMacs got Core Duo's, Mini's got Solo's standard and Duo's as an upgrade option, and both sets up laptops got Core Duo's. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple put Core 2's in both flavours of MacBook, possibly with the MacBook having the Core 2 as an upgrade option.

The should also make a dedicated video card a option for Mac Book since Apple is taking the cheap way out and using the Intel built in video option. I think a real video card should be the stanard not a option, but that is my opinion.

Back