applications OS X could use that Windows has

Access is quite useful as an INI file, if you need one. That is the only use I can find for it. I don't really see Access as a database system - to make it usable you have to put lots of transaction management and application servers around it, which means that you are effectively building your own DB server. It is really just a file that you can access directly using DB drivers. It is a lot cheaper and easier just to purchase a proper DB server.

R.

... although the other Database Programs may be "Suffcient" .. Access is like "the Big one" ... and i'd imagine a vast majority of courses (@ College) Deal With Access, and barely touch upon these "other" Applications!

Every VB/ASP developer I've ever worked with thinks Access is the biggest piece of crap in existence. Given a choice they would always work with some varient of SQL. You're right, though, I've seen many career/tech programs that teach Access/Frontpage together. Of course most of the job postings I've seen want SQL/Dreamweaver (for the same type of job).

Oracle has just released Oracle 9i for developers for Jaguar as a free download from their site. Check old news on macminute.com. It was announced about week or so ago.

Also postgresql and MySql both compile and run under OSX.

calliex

I occasionally run across special targeted applications that only run on windows. As far as commercial apps I can't think of one I'd like to see ported over.

There are plenty of word processors, spread sheets, browsers, etc. on both platforms.

If I had to use a PC I would sorely miss the following.

AppleScript
Tex-Edit Plus
Graphic Converter
OS X

Back