appProtd - what is it?

bhubha

Registered
I have a MBP - six months old - fully loaded running 10.6.8.

Occasionally it really slows down - to a stop. I look at activity monitor and see a process appProtd running and using most of my resources - sometimes as high as 200%. I use quit process to make it stop and go away and my computer speeds back up. But, the process starts back up again right away and after an indeterminate period of time - it can be minutes or hours - it goes hyper active again and everything slows/bogs down again.

I have figured out that launchd is the process that calls it up.

What is it, what does it do, and how do I stop it?

Your help and/or any info greatly appreciated.

FURTHER INFO - some time ago I installed MacAfee virus protection and shortly later I uninstalled it. I still find some references to it in various libraries - could some remnants of it still be there causing my problem. Looking at the files in some of these libraries that mention and/or are labeled MacAfee mention the term appprot.

Since I uninstalled MacAfee and do not run anything from them is there any problem deleting these folders that are labeled MacAfee?

Many programs leave "parts" all over OS x in folders like /Users/YourUserName/Application Support/ as well as other places. So I encourage using a freeware 'uninstaller' application like AppCleaner.

How did you 'uninstall' Macafee antivirus?
The Macafee uninstall process is completed through your terminal.
https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB61125
If you did not use that process through the terminal, then I recommend that you reinstall Macafee, and try that listed process, which should clear everything out.

And - as Satcomer suggests, the AppCleaner app should also work, although in my experience, it doesn't always find apps that have been partially uninstalled. It's worth a try, I think.

That process seems to be related to McAfee indeed.

From DeltaMac's link (in case the page would later get changed, and it could help also future users):

To uninstall McAfee Agent 4.x on Macintosh computers:

1. Log on as an administrator or with root account privileges.
2. Open the Terminal window.
3. Type cd / and press ENTER to navigate to the root directory.
4. Type cd /Library/McAfee/cma/ and press ENTER.
5. Type sudo ./uninstall.sh and press ENTER to uninstall the agent.

NOTE: During the removal, the messages stopping McAfee agent and McAfee agent stopped will be displayed.

6. After the uninstallation is complete, restart computer.

You can copy and paste the Terminal commands from above. It's important they are exactly as above; even an extra space makes a difference.

Back