Arafats mysterious ailment

g/re/p, don't you see that you've just validated the arguments you quoted? The point was to get habillis and yourself to put party politics aside and think about what life is like for Palistinians. Neither pds, cat or bbloke have been suggesting that Palestine is right and Israel is wrong but rather that you seem to be completely ignoring the hardships that Palestinians face every day i.e. if the situation in Palestine was extrapolated to Texas, what would you do?

monktus said:
g/re/p, don't you see that you've just validated the arguments you quoted?
Damn right i validated the arguments i quoted - that was my intention.
monktus said:
The point was to get habillis and yourself to put party politics aside and think about what life is like for Palistinians. Neither pds, cat or bbloke have been suggesting that Palestine is right and Israel is wrong but rather that you seem to be completely ignoring the hardships that Palestinians face every day i.e. if the situation in Palestine was extrapolated to Texas, what would you do?
You can leave me out of the Israel/Palestine part of this thread - I admitted i don't know enough about the subject to debate it, and stopped participating in the discussion days ago. The only reason i posted again was to interject some humor into a thread that appears to have degenerated into a pissing match.

OK - a last word for me.

It is always amazing to me how circular the political spectrum is. The communist and the fascist are not that far apart. Both are racist, nationalist, collectivist (wealth gets collected one way or another) and reactionary.

Left and right meet each other at the bottom of the circle - how else shall we understand that the right embraces the Leninist ideal - "The ends justify the means."

I reject that ideal. To me, the means produce the ends. If you want good ends, better use good means. And so I stand on the Middle East question.

To my dear friend Habilis - please don't take unnecessary offense. I am not calling you fascist or by any label. You are a fellow citizen in a great experiment in self government. We just don't see certain things eye to eye.

g/re/p

;) :D

In the Palestine/Israel conflict, remember that Ariel Sharon _started_ a war (against Lebanon) while Yasser Arafat _ended_ a war (by pursuing a peaceful road of negotiations and ultimately winning the Nobel Peace Prize).

In the meanwhile Iraq, "terrorists" and "insurgents" torture and kill hostages, and american soldiers torture and kill wounded prisoners. Might makes right? Perhaps from the political-historical perspective, but certainly not from the moral perspective. At the very moment of perpetrating a crime you are guilty. Not in the judgement of posterior generations, but in the eyes of the present one. The winners write history, so it is obvious that later generations will not likley condemn their own ancestors' deeds. But in the here and now the american soldiers in Iraq are hardly better that the Iraqi resistance. The ideals may be all right, but the methods to realise them are reprehensible, and it is my very humble opnion that the methods by which you attain the desired results _do_ in fact matter. That is the only way that democracy and freedom are different from dictatorship and coercion: by the way in which laws and policies are made, namely with the consensus and the authority of the population that undergoes them. In Iraq right now the US Army is the law and order, and they are mostly just causing death and destruction. I fail to see how that wil llead to the desired result of freedom and democracy ...

Back