• Linux (red hat, mandrake, ...)

Votes: 14 13.3%
  • Be OS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other unix system or other OS ?

Votes: 16 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am proud to say that I use nothing but OS X at work, despite being in a sea of PCs and PC servers. I love it. Everyone loves my Mac at work. They used to be prejudiced bastards against Macs, but sitting down with me and watching me work on it changed their minds.

I'm the only Mac here. I'm the only Mac-user here. It's great.

Main machine: Mac OS X "Jaguar" 10.2 build 6C35
Server: Mac OS X Server 10.1.5
PC (for accessing trouble request system): XPee Pro

At my work they have Windows 2000 machines (how come there wasn't an option for that in the poll? I just checked NT) and old VMS machines to run hardware equipment (yes, they are ten years old, made by Digital, a company bought by Compaq).

I can't stand that. So I bring an iBook to work, plug in to the visitor's network, and work away! For the first few days I tried working with the PCs, but I just couldn't handle it.

I talked to my supervisor and they're going to rent me a Mac! Yay! So I won't have to cart the thing around anymore..

What's kind of ironic, though, is that they are going to get new hardware soon to drive tthe hardware equipment here, and they need something stabler than Windows. So Mac OS X is actually a possibility for them, and they are considering it (but I don't know how seriously). :D

Originally posted by simX
At my work they have Windows 2000 machines (how come there wasn't an option for that in the poll? I just checked NT)

I didn't know if W2K is closer from WNT or W98 so I didn't put it ... Windows is a strange thing ... a lot of flavours but nothing coherent ... ;)

I use OS X full-time running a scanner and Photoshop. Everybody else at my work (about 12) is still running OS 9 (until Quark and our printer manufactuerers get in gear). We have 2 PC's running XP, one running NT, and one running 2000. And guess who has to make sure all of these machines are kept up an running? Yours truly.... Sometimes I wish I could put my head in a gas stove...

I have to use Win2000Pro at work, primarily due to the toolset. I am trying to get away from those tools. So much so that I am learning PostGreSQL and looking for a good DB Admin tool, so I can get off SQL Server (best product M$ evermade, DARN).

Any Suggestions? I need a strong tool with Import/Export capabilities, full Admin, etc. I am looking at www.macosguru.com/ tools, anyone familar with it?

Mac OS X for graphics, web development and writing, Red Hat Linux as the staging server for web development and SuSE Linux on the active webservers.

i know it isnt work but at my school we have Windoze 98 machines, but theyv'e bin tweeked by RM (reserch Machines) so it all rubbish.

But then again i am admin so it isnt all that bad! :p

B

*stares at win98 screen*

*looks at clock*

Only 30 mins till I get back home to my PB

I use X (with 11 other Mac's around me using OS9)..but..as long as we're stuck on QXP 4.1, Photoshop 6 and Illustrator 9...I have to use Classic all the time...and as long as my Q about Let's (Apple) Talk (posted in the forum somewhere) isn't completly solved..we'll stay on OS9:(

Well, I'm answering this from a SCHOOL point of view ;)

We have workstations, so we have to use lots off different computers :p

The old ones in the library use Windows 98, but the new ones use Windows 2000 Proffesional. Actually, ALL the new ones use that....

But when I'm doing music, and sequencing, I use OS 8.6 or 7.5.1, depening on which station I'm at.

I got a new job (just completed my first week! woohoo!).

There is a bit of Graphics, Web Design and Flash Animation that goes on... but to my horror - everything is being done on Windows machines! AHHHH!!!!

What some more screaming?
ASP Driven Websites, MS Access Databases... on Windows Servers...

Ok I'll stop - I can hear all the blood-curlying screams already! lol :)

And here I thought the lady I'm working with was a Mac-Head (being a teacher in Graphic and Web Design). Grrrr!!! :(

When I first heard of the job I thought "Cool! Macs" Databases "PHP and MySQL on Linux! Awesome!"... then when I got there I saw old PCs that need a new home - at the dumps! (not really cuz they're PCs, but they are old systems that are far beyond needing help!).

Sigh :(

But I'm having fun non-the-less, and they already knew how good I was, and with me proving myself over and over each day - I might be able to convince them to go in a different direction (I already started with abandoning the NetSol monopoly).

Maybe I won't get as far as replacing the PCs with Macs, but at least to move the domains to PHP and MySQL Linux Servers.
(but I WILL get myself a PowerBook with a nice CRT External Monitor - after them seeing how much more productive I can be, that might make them change their ways! heh ;) )

We're all PC at my work. I've thought about forcing the issue and requesting a Mac, but we do a lot of work with MS Access, so it'd probably just be a pain....

But at home it's 1 ibook and an old, grinning, PM 7200. Home sweet home.

At work I have the joy of three boxes on my desk. No room to eat a sandwich.

Windows 2000
Red Hat 7
Mac OS X

My work is a little different. My primary work station is a Sun Sparc. They wanted our department to convert to Windows 2000 but we revolted and they relented.

We have OS2. A big 10 year contract with IBM (which they are breaking) to go to...what else but XP Pro. I can't wait for every computer in my company (we're talking 40,000 + employees) to be running XP. What a crock.

At home OSX of course.

my work is all PCs. we have an NT server, along with two XP pro machines, a Win98 notebook and desktop, and three windows 2k boxes.

my machine is a G4 with OS X 10.1.5.....

we've talked at length about viruses (a common problem at my office but never on my work machine.. thanks to OSX)

on multiple occasions my boss(es) have flirted with going all OSX. one thing holding us back? our accounting software, peachtree. i don't see why we can't have one machine running peachtree. or just use VPC. they don't want to hear it. jerks.

oh well, i'm happy, so i might as well let them be happy too.

BTW, at home, its a G4 and a pismo.

Back