battery exchange

Timotheos100

Registered
I was just getting around to sign up for apple's battery exchange for 12' ibooks, powerbooks and 15' power books then i realised my battery model was AI060 and not AI061 like all the other 12' powerbooks.
Whats up with that? mine looks the same as a '61, whats the difference between the two models and why dont i get a free battery?

The exchange program is for defective batteries that were dangerous, and that was only the A1061 batteries (dodgy batch). I have two A1060s and they are fine.

So your not deciding to exchange yours?

Whats the difference between the two models? and is there any reason why i got a different model battery to what the other 12' powerbooks got

A1060 and A1061 probably came from different manufacturers. You are one of the lucky ones that didn't get one of the possibly flaky batteries.
AFAIK, there's no difference at all, except for the numbers on the battery.

DeltaMac said:
AFAIK, there's no difference at all, except for the numbers on the battery.
...well, aside from the fact that the internal components of one of the batteries are bad while the components inside the other are good... ;)

From https://depot.info.apple.com/batteryexchange/?lang=en

"The affected batteries could overheat, posing a fire hazard to consumers. Apple has received six consumer reports of these batteries overheating. If you have a recalled battery, please stop using it and order a replacement battery immediately."

"The recalled batteries include those with model numbers A1061, A1078, and A1079 and serial numbers that begin with HQ441 through HQ507 and 3X446 through 3X510."

"Note: If your battery serial number does not match the requirements listed above, you do not have to exchange your battery."

It wasn't a "hey, you all get a new battery" thing, it was a product recall on a defective item - they aren't going to replace perfectly normal batteries.

PS- Delta, they were both from LG, its just that LG have had a few cases of dodgy battery batches recently (there was also the 15" exchange program). I read somewhere that after this, Apple are switching to another manufacturer anyway.

Back