Bill Gate give up MS by 2008

MacFreak

Chic Not Geek
I got news break by my pager "Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates says he is giving up his day-to-day role at the company in 2008."

lbj said:
Funny thing is, I gave up MS in 1991. Glad he's finally seeing the light.
::ha:: I am now 100% Microsoft-free! And it's thanks to the folks at Flip4Mac; before them, I still kept Windows Media Player around, even though I rarely used it.

Anyway, it's been a while coming, I think. I've never felt like Gates was on a mission or anything. He's made a disgusting amount of money, and Microsoft hasn't been doing anything interesting since....uhh....well, there was a while a few years ago when Longhorn sounded interesting, but I don't think they actually did any of that. :) So, why should he stay around? Enjoy your boatloads of money, man.

I think Steve Jobs, on the other hand, will stick around for a while, because he's obsessed with the industry and "the next big thing". He always seems like he's on some kind of mission, and he always has. He's a nutcase. (I mean that in a good way....kind of.)

The Mac zealot in me had a idea pop into my head (just in jest) that maybe Bill is getting out while the getting out is good. Vista might be a bomb.:rolleyes:

Mikuro, I agree, Job loves it. And why not? He is head of a great company, that uses his ideas. Apple is exciting, while M$, I am sure is my cold and corporate like.

powermac said:
Mikuro, I agree, Job loves it. And why not? He is head of a great company, that uses his ideas. Apple is exciting, while M$, I am sure is my cold and corporate like.
But that's WHY Apple is exciting. Anyone who has watched a keynote can see how excited Steve is to show off new things, and that's why Apple to me is an exciting company. Everyone is genuinely excited about what they're giving you, rather than "here you go, this is new and cool."

Bill Gates is not leaving Microsoft, as it sounds like some of the people here think... he's simply resigning from everyday duties. He'll still retain his title most likely, and will still be calling a lot of the shots.

...just thinking of Ballmer running the company now makes me wanna puke. Personally, I think he'll run it into the ground, but maybe that's just wishful thinking... ;)

Satcomer said:
The Mac zealot in me had a idea pop into my head (just in jest) that maybe Bill is getting out while the getting out is good. Vista might be a bomb.:rolleyes:

Oh you mean like '98, ME, 2000, and XP were? ;)

To be fair, Win98 for its time was a decent system, as was 2000... XP isn't all that bad if you know what you're doing. That being said, I have a lot of respect for him deciding to go in the direction he's going in and I applaud him for it.

(Still, your OS sucks compared to Apple's nyah!)

I agree that this motion is very respectable. I questioned his motives originally when he began giving to charitable organizations, but you would have to be one sick person to go this far helping and giving and not actually mean it.

Back