BTO iMacs at the Apple Store

opus66

Registered
The BTO options on the iMac are not too complicated... can you get a BTO configuration at a walk-in apple store?

Do those stores honor the edu discount?

opus66 said:
The BTO options on the iMac are not too complicated... can you get a BTO configuration at a walk-in apple store?

Besides RAM you buy directly from Apple (it is a lot cheaper to buy third party RAM from places like OWC or Crucial), then NO.

opus66 said:
Do those stores honor the edu discount?

Not sure, call your local Apple store and find out (you may need to bring a valid student ID). Your timing couldn't be better! Apple is starting a promotion for students this summer, they call it Student Union. The short of it is, buy an Mac until Sept 24th via certain student channels, get an iPod Mini.

it's a nice perk... but irks me a little that it's an obvious ploy to move the excess ipod mini inventory before introducing the color version this fall.

still a great deal, but leaves me feeling uncertain as the color mini (most probably 8 gig by then) is what i really want. The 20 gig ipod is a great unit, but slightly bulky when running at the gym (and pretty much the same dimensions as my 1st Gen ipod)... Either way i go, i feel i'll want to trade-up/in to get the color mini come october.

You're irked at the fact that Apple is giving away old iPod stock with the purchase of a new computer?

Damn, talk about hard to please!

no i'm irked 'slightly' that i'll end up buying something i'll want to turn over in the fall... (i'm assuming with iTunes 5)

by the way, there's a huge difference between a rebate (about 8 weeks processing) and 'giving away' free and clear... makes a world of difference in accounting inventory and cash flow on the books until the new models arrive... rebates, coupons, upc mailers are done for 2 simple reasons... 1.participation/redemption is spotty at best and 2. the time value of money.

They're not giving you the ipod at purchase, they're holding your money for 2 months and the mail-in hoop that 30% of the people will inadvertently miss for whatever reason...

I'm happy they're offering it, but I also see the maneuver to keep the stock price from falling due to excess inventory showing up on wall street's radar...

trust me they'll make a tidy profit on all ends... actually a very shrewd move to push through a slow patch.

Back