Buy an iBook? Or a Windows laptop?

Matt01

Registered
okay...
I am new to Apple, and I really like it. All I have is a G4 Tower...but I want to sort of up-grade.
Should I buy the Apple iBook G4? Probably the 14 inch, but I am not sure.
I could easily get a Windows PC for 899.00....I am just not sure what to do.
I dont need anything really fancy, I'm just a student.....
What would be the best thing...in your opinion?

Unless your eye-sight is severely damaged, I'd get the 12" iBook, though. Max it out with RAM, maybe get the bigger harddrive option. It's less hassle to drag around with you, has the same screen real estate (1024*768) and is simply, in my opinion, the nicer computer.

Then again: You might want to wait, if you can, for the next version.

I would normally recommend getting a computer now if you need one now, rather than waiting -- but in this case, it seems that many are predicting a complete redesign of the iBook computer in the near future.

While it may turn out that the iBook does NOT get an overhaul, I would think the information is good enough to warrant waiting.

You could also look at the MacBook Pro which was just released with an Intel Core Duo CPU. However, it all depends on what your target pricepoint is. I would definitely recommend an iBook but you might want to wait until the next revision which may actually include an Intel CPU. Of course, we'll have to wait and see on the iBook.

One more thing. As enticing as the price might be, I would check on reviews on said Windows laptop. My job bought some HP laptop that were considered affordable money-wise. However, these laptops (HP Compaq nx9010, using the mobile P4 CPU and NOT the Pentium M) are slow, heavy, and bulky. They also run VERY hot (thanks to the P4) and have poor battery life. No one at my work locations likes them, but they use them since it's better than nothing (and didn't have a choice in the matter). However, I'm sure given the choice they would have picked something better, or at least I would hope.

Sometimes, you get what you pay for. ;)

I have to agree with NixGeek, I am a dedicated long term Macuser, but something came up that I thoughti needed A PC For. By the time I had got the PC (It was Dell Laptop), set up with what I needed to help me with my Mac work as well as just using it for the PC work I needed to do, I was into $3995.00 No lie. In the end just for laughs I thought hell I'll try SoftPC or whatever they call it now, I couldn't believe it but it worked. I have never ever seem a Soft Mac on a PC, they just don't have the juice. A PC is pretty much a bundle of off the shelf components held together by a BIOS and an operating system on top that cannot even draw off any routines etc that are simply built in to the Mac.
I know the Macs cost more so do Mercedes compared even to Lexus. I have driven both and no matter what Lexus, Infiniti and all those guys say ab out how the beat or Match the Merc, they don't no way driving the Merc is a whole different deal, yes it costs more, it took a long time ot get to where I could have one, but now, I don't know what I would do in another car and the same applies to the Macs. Every so often I weaken and actually get a PC I do astronomy and a lot of the stuff for that is PC only. After using the PC more for the novelty than anything else, I end up putting them in the basement and using the monitors on my Macs.
Yes there will always be issues with Macs, but it's true of PC's as well.

My spin on this Get a Mac, you simply will not regret it in the long run. Be a bit patient if you have never used one before, it is a different world and with OS X now on most Macs, if you really want to get under the hood so to speak you can really get under the hood, this was one thing that PC users used to say about Macs, you can't Mod' EM. Well now you can if you are brave and knowledeable enough really Mod theMac and if you area not that brave there are a lot of folks out there that produce software that does the Moddiing for you. Plus if you are really into it, you can run the daddy of all operating systems Unix. Good old fashioned Command line stuff, witha range of software available that is out of this world.

Enjoy your new Mac

Stuart

I second Fryke with trumpets! Even though my eyesight is not tip-top, the advantages of the lighter weight and smaller package far outweigh the advantage of bigger pixels. I've had both and the 14 inch is noticably heavier and needs a bigger bag. The 12 iBook is the one if you need something now and budget is an issue.

And, it's sexier. Guys get off on the big screen, but the girls think the 12 inch is cooler. ;)

I have a 12 inch iBook from 5 years ago, when they first adopted the current shape. These are great little machines, 12 inches is small and light and can easily be used in a university auditorium without trouble.

That said, if you can afford a Macbook pro, its hard to imagine *any* laptop on today's market that is faster, or better equipped. A dual-core Intel processor, built in iSight camera, remote control and so on.

However, if your budget is tight and the Macbook is out of the question, get a 12" iBook. You won't be sorry.

And, it's sexier. Guys get off on the big screen, but the girls think the 12 inch is cooler.

True. Very true.

pds said:
And, it's sexier. Guys get off on the big screen, but the girls think the 12 inch is cooler. ;)
I don't think the 'Sheilas' would go for anything less than 12 inches though!

I have mentioned in another post my bias towards the Powerbook/Macbook. I just think it's better put together than the iBook. However, I am not exactly well off to say the least, so if I was going out to buy a budget laptop I would find the iBook appealing (which is in fact what I did two years ago).

However it depends what you want from it. I too have a G4, so my Mac needs are quite well met. I have recently been asked to install a Windows based database to inspect and modify. My PC laptop is owned by my employers and will not let me install the database. So I may now have to look into buying a cheap PC laptop.

The point I am making is that it is hard being solely Mac-based these days, because so many business, health and education establishments expect you to possess a Windows based computer.

Back