Can I expect a new Mac product soon?

Yesurbius

Registered
So I've got all my money saved up for my new Mac - but I'm not buying anything until Apple comes out with the new Mac lineup...

Ma money is burning a hole in my pocket tho LOL

Do you guys think we can expect a product announcement on April 1st?? :)

Depends on what you're in for. The MacBook / Pro line is overdue for an update. I was hoping for an update this month but I finally couldn't hold off an got me a top of the line 15" MBP to replace my 1st generation MBP.
The iMac is also overdue AFAIK and so is the Mac Mini. I haven't been following the Mac Pro.

So, depending on what you're in for you might want to wait just a little longer. If the Mac of your choosing gets updated soon go for it because the following update cycle might be 6+ months away.

I'd hate to get a Mac Pro and then they change everything. At the very least I'll wait for Leopard / iLife'07

just to let you know, they probably won't upgrade anything to coincide with the release of Leopard, they haven't in the past. it was a good 6 months after Tiger was released before the iMacs etc had hardware upgrades to meet tiger, RAM upgrades.

iMac is overdue though.

While they don't specifically put hardware and software releases together, they also don't _mind_ it. They could release the new Mac Pros anytime, really. Without or with much fanfare. Leopard, of course, will get its spotlight. Ha! ;)

holy cow, you're already replacing your MBP? so...where do you work? they hiring? ;)

Let's say I have a job that pays reasonably well and I don't have any family obligations (yet). The short lived financial freedom between you first job after university and your first kid arriving.

I'm replacing it because I want 3GB of memory (can you say Parallels?) and because the top cover (the outside of the screen) has some depressions that won't go away (stupid aluminum; titanium was so much better in that respect: it just flexed back) because one day I put it on the back of my bike without proper protection...

just to let you know, they probably won't upgrade anything to coincide with the release of Leopard, they haven't in the past. it was a good 6 months after Tiger was released before the iMacs etc had hardware upgrades to meet tiger, RAM upgrades.

iMac is overdue though.

It was June/July 2005 I got my eMac with Tiger installed and won't install anything under that, so what date was Tiger released?

I'd hate to get a Mac Pro and then they change everything. At the very least I'll wait for Leopard / iLife'07

That is what I am waiting for to buy a new Mac Pro. The time is close enough to MY upgrade cycle to wait a little while longer.

Nice site.

Ordered Mac Pro from local Apple retailer this morning ... CTO with 2.66 Ghz and Radeon X1900.

My rationale :

On the one hand I'd have a Mac Pro right away - can go fast and do everything my Mac Mini G4 can't. It'd come with Tiger and iLife '06 (I have Panther and iLife '05 still). If Leopard / iLife 07 is released before WWDC then maybe I'll get a free upgrade.

On the other hand, I'd go without my fast computer for possibly two months, and I'd save $150. Two months from now I'd probably start wondering if a price reduction is coming and be iffy whether to buy then...

I am also saving up for a iMac. But I don't want to get one and then have a brand new one come out. Does anybody think they'll be releasing one anytime soon?

I am also saving up for a iMac. But I don't want to get one and then have a brand new one come out. Does anybody think they'll be releasing one anytime soon?
I don't have any insider information or anything, but I would be expecting an update to the iMac range in the reasonably near future. An article on MacRumors discusses this a bit more.

There is never a perfect time to buy a new computer, and any computer you do buy will be leap-frogged in a few months' time. The only times I'd say it was a bad idea to buy a new Mac would be just before a Mac conference. Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference (WWDC) will be held in June, so if you can hold off until the summer, it might be worth it.

Back