Can I replace my Apple TV HDD wih a bigger one?

kebosma

Registered
Can I replace my apple TV's hardrive with a bigger one? I couldn't imagine that I would be able to get 40GB full, but now I have 60GB of Kids DVD's which my little boy loves to watch.

Anyway, if it's possible, which harddrive is recommended for Apple TV?

The question is "why". My iTunes library tends to exceed such mobile drives, anyway, so I just share my 1 TB drive (with my iTunes library on it) to the Apple TV, setting synching to automatic. Its 40 GB drive takes the newest files automatically, the rest is simply streamed as needed. Requires my Mac to run constantly - but that it does, anyway.

The question is "why". My iTunes library tends to exceed such mobile drives, anyway, so I just share my 1 TB drive (with my iTunes library on it) to the Apple TV, setting synching to automatic. Its 40 GB drive takes the newest files automatically, the rest is simply streamed as needed. Requires my Mac to run constantly - but that it does, anyway.

Do you have any idea about the dissipated energy ? Now that SL has descent low-power management it may be more acceptable but I don't know if it goes down to 1-5 W or if it stays to 50-100W as it was before.

Streaming is a great option. However it is not ideal for everyone.

Potential problems with streaming:

1. Mac must be on the entire time. I don't want to go across my house to power on my computer everytime I sit down in my living room to watch tv. This would also be a pain for those with laptops as their primary computer.

2. Network latency may become an issue, particularly with WiFi connections.

For me upgrading my ATV harddrive was a no-brainer. I've done it twice since I purchased the ATV when it first came out. I mention that I do not sync previously watched content. I only sync unwatched content.

Cheers!

upgarded mine with a 250 gig,but have been unable to upgrade software since,for some reason.I'm on a new high!The mac mini has more capability and plays 1080.Using Plex, I have found freedom. Appletv has too many restrictions.Sinking is good for those in your house who don't know how to run system.I sink all my childs tv shows and some for my wife and leave the appletv in my bed roomand use the mini in the family room,steaming everything else.

Last edited:
Has anyone had any luck with board advertiser ATVFlash? It claims to make harddrive expansion a simple process via USB.

I'm using it. It's a hack, really, but it works. I've had the occasional crash with one version, but the newer ones work fine. Making it _work_ with the external drive was a tad difficult, but reading and a little patience made it work. I still don't really _need_ it, though, since I could stream things from my always-on iMac, of course. But I had a 1TB drive lying around, anyway.

Back