Cannot access Hard Drive

Ezd50

Registered
I've suddenly started to experience the famed beach ball of death.
After leaving the computer idle for a while, I try to access the internal hard drive to get to files and or apps, there it begins...the beach ball keeps-a-spinning. The only way to stop it is to physically hold the power button to shut it down. I've tried just about everything that I could think of, and even tried a few tips that found here. Nothing has worked.
Out of desperation and fear that I would lose my data, I installed a brand new 200gig HD. It accepted Panther flawlessly. I ran Software Update to bring it up to the latest software. It downloaded everything and installed everything until it got to the Superdrive Update 1.0. The friggin beach ball again reared it's ugly head. I had to manually power down to make it stop.
I have the latest OSX software (10.3.8?).
733 Quick Silver 512MB 80gig HD., and now a 200gig
SuperDrive

Please help,

Thanks,

EZD50

That beach ball can be a pain in the butt.

Have you repaired permissions? Where you running anything else in the background when you were installing?

Not completely related to your problem, but - - That 200GB is too large to be used with your internal IDE bus. You will find that you have a maximum of 128GB of space available. If you have an up-to-date IDE controller card that will utilize large hard drives, then you're OK. That would be the only way to completely utilize all the 200GB that you purchased.

Isn't the SuperDrive Update a firmware update? Once it's done, it doesn't ever need it again (and not needed for the system software at all)... You may want to choose not to try that update if it causes you problems

Cheryl said:
That beach ball can be a pain in the butt.

Have you repaired permissions? Where you running anything else in the background when you were installing?

Thanks Cheryl, I did that. I threw away the preference plist thingy, I ran Tech Tool Pro, Disk Warrior....Got anything else?

DeltaMac said:
Not completely related to your problem, but - - That 200GB is too large to be used with your internal IDE bus. You will find that you have a maximum of 128GB of space available. If you have an up-to-date IDE controller card that will utilize large hard drives, then you're OK. That would be the only way to completely utilize all the 200GB that you purchased.

Isn't the SuperDrive Update a firmware update? Once it's done, it doesn't ever need it again (and not needed for the system software at all)... You may want to choose not to try that update if it causes you problems

Hmmm. That's why I wasn't able to utilize the full drive. Should I get one smaller? Where could I find an IDE controller that will handle it?

Thanks,

EZD50.

Back