Cannot fully load Canon printer driver.

MHarelik

Registered
Running Mountain Lion on my MacBook Pro. I attempt to load the printer driver for Canon Pixma MX700. I get a basic load and can use the printer, but many functions are greyed out.

During installation, I receive the following error message: (quote) System extension cannot be used. The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/BJUSBLoad.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update. (end quote).

Canon's latest driver for this printer generates the same error. What is your advice?

First while the printer is connected to your Mac launch Software Update (in 10.8 just launch the Mac App Store/Updates) and wait for it to see if it gets Canon Printer software.

Plus did you check Canon itself if it had 10.8 drivers for your printer?

The latest version of your devices scanner driver was released on August 24, 2012. Along with the rest of Canon's drivers for the PIXMA MX700, it is available here.

Satcomer, DeltaMac, and MisterMe, thanks for your suggestions. I tried them all, and continue to receive the same error message quoted in my above post. Do you think "/System/Library/Extensions/BJUSBLoad.kext" and related ".kext" can be individually deleted, then reinstalled with the Canon driver? (I don't know if their origin is the Canon driver.)

"BJUSBLoad.kext" is a Canon file.
Try removing just that file. It's in your System folder, which means that you will need to provide at least admin-level authentication to trash that file. I would recommend that you don't touch any other file, unless you are certain of what you are doing.
Try the printer WITHOUT that file in place. It might be a duplicate that was incorrectly installed, and if the printer works without that file, then all the better.

Back