Cannot install OS X on Macbook

LasStyle

Registered
Hey

I have a problem with my macbook.. Once it cashed I had some prof to look at it, and what they did was to take the hard drive out and through it away.. Now there is no OS on my Macbook.. I have bought a new hard drive, and the Mac OS X Snow Leopard, so I could install it on my "new" macbook..

Here is the problem:
When I turn on my macbook, there is only a flashing question mark on a folder, and that means the mac cannot find any OS, well that is also okay, but then I insert the DVD with Mac OS X on, and the only thing that happens is that the macbook kick the DVD out of it, and I still just have a question mark to look at..

How can I possible install Mac OS X on my macbook, with no OS on? Is it possible anyway?

Thanks

MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2007)
13,3"/D2.0G/2 x 512/80/Combo

Did you try holding down the C key? Click the power button, quickly insert the DVD and hold down C. What happens?

Nothing at all happens? Does the DVD eject?
Is your Snow Leopard DVD an original Apple disk (white with a Leopard on the label)?

When you boot with that DVD in the drive, and restart while holding the Option key, do you see the Snow Leopard installer as a choice on the boot picker screen?
If yes - select that disk, and press Return/Enter
If the disk simply ejects, you may have a bad disk, or the DVD drive is not reading the disk properly. You can try a DVD drive cleaning disk, or just try blowing air into the drive (you can purchase a can of air at any office supply shop, or an electronics retailer)

Sometimes the DVD eject, and sometimes not.. No the OS X isn't a copy, but no nothing happens, the question mark just keep flashing.. :(

I'd like you to use a few more words, please :D

With the Snow Leopard DVD in the drive, shut down by holding the power button for 5 seconds.
Then, press and release the power button, and immediately hold the Option key.
Do you get the boot-picker screen, which shows the icons for any bootable drive? In your case, you should see the Mac OSX installer disk icon. Click on that icon, then press return.
Or, do you get a little window with a padlock, and a blank password area?

Please describe in detail what happens
BTW - the hard drive in your MacBook is a common failure, and Apple will replace it even if out of warranty. You said the tech guy removed your hard drive and threw it in the trash? You only have 1 GB of memory, which is the minimum for Snow Leopard. If one memory chip was loosened, so only the other chip is installed, then Snow Leopard installer won't boot. Be sure to check that both memory sticks are fully seated.
If you can boot to the Snow Leopard installer, then your new hard drive needs to be formatted, using Disk Utility from the menus. You have to do that before Snow Leopard will install.

Okay here is the log
(I insert the dvd, and fast turn off, then turn on, in different ways):

*Option Key*

1:
When I turn on the Macbook with the Snow Leopard DVD in, and push the Option Key, the question mark does't appear, but after the Mac reads and reads the DVD is ejected - But then there appears a cursor, the black mac-cursor with the white frame, but nothing els.

2:
If I do the same, but with my old "Mac OS X Tiger - includes Xcode 2 - Install DVD", the same happens, no question mark, only cursor, but first when the DVD is ejected.

*C button*

3:
Now with the C button pushed down when a start up, and this time with Snow Leopard:
The Macbook reads and reads and reads the DVD, but after some time it is ejected, then appears the flashing question mark. The cursor doesn't appear.

4:
Same procedure with C button but this time with the old Tiger DVD:
After SHORT time of reading the dvd it is ejected, and the flashing question mark appears. The cursor doesn't show up this time.

-----RAM-----

Well it could have something to do with the memory chips (The RAM right?) they are 2 x 512, maybe I should try to buy some with some more space?

If your Tiger installer DVD is black, then that is easy to explain - the black Tiger disk can't install on your MacBook. The only disk that will work for 10.4 is the grey DVD that came with your MacBook originally. I don't think that black Tiger disk will even show up on the boot picker screen.
Did you install your new hard drive? Then, you know how to get to your RAM memory sticks, and you should try to reseat both chips. You have enough memory, assuming that all is recognized, to boot and install Snow Leopard.

Question: Did you (or the prof) remove the top case (with the keyboard and trackpad)? Some people even do that when replacing the hard drive.

I suspect that your DVD drive may not be working properly. You can try blowing air inside the drive slot, or even trying a commercial DVD drive cleaning disk, available at most any office supply store.

Do you have access to another Mac?

No I do not have access to another Mac, and the HD was removed/replaced by taken the battery out.

But I have tried to test the DVDDrive, and RAM:

I borrowed my dads install DVD for Windows 7, just to see what happens. When I insert that dvd, the windows 7 setup wizard starts immediately, then I installed it to check the system for errors - there wasn't any. Well then I booted with my Active @ KILLDISK Boot CD to get rid of the windows OS again.

So well the hardware should work, but I still just have a flashing question mark to look at.

My Tiger install DVD is white, the text on it says:
Mac OS X Tiger
Includes Xcode 2
Install DVD

Replacement DVD
Not for Resale
2Z691-5305-A​

... :( It looks bad..

What looks bad? You mean that 10.4 disk? You also missed posting what the version number on that disk is. It will say "Version 10.4" or "Versions 10.4.7", or some other version. Your MacBook (Mid 2007) can't boot to that disk unless it's 10.4.9 or higher.
But, I suspect it's a replacement for a commercial Tiger installer, and won't boot your MacBook anyway.
If you were able to install Windows 7, then you can say the DVD drive is working OK.
Did you check while booted to Windows, to see if all 1024 MB of RAM was recognized?

Your Tiger DVD is probably not going to work in your MacBook, so I would try more with the Snow Leopard install.
Where did you get that Snow Leopard installer? An Apple store should be able to replace that disk with another if the disk is bad... You could also take your MacBook to that Apple Service shop, and have them try the OS X install with one of their disks.

It starts to look bad for my macbook, I'm loosing the hope you know..

On the Tiger DVD there isn't any version number.. :/

The Snow Leopard is version 10.6.3, and I bought it in a computer store called Fona..

All 1024MB RAM was recognized.. It seems hopeless right now..

Hopeless? not!
You were able to install Windows, so I still think that you don't have a good OS X installer disk.
You should try a different installer DVD, If Fona has a service area, you should be able to get them to try a different Snow Leopard disk.

Even if that is a bust - you could still install Windows, eh?

I think this thread was guiding the OP (LasStyle) to the conclusion that they have a bad installer disk.
What's your situation?

I have the same problem, just can't seem to get anywhere.

I have managed to install Linux and Windows 7, but the original OSx disk is a no no, so I am wondering if I should just cut my loses and throw the machine out.

So, what's your problem?
Are you using your original restore DVDs?
Or, are you using the commercial OS X installer?
What version of OS X are you trying to install? It will be listed on the DVD label.
What happens when you try to boot to that disk?
Be sure to give more description, other than "can't seem to get anywhere"

What happened to the OS X software that was already installed?
Did you use the Linux installer to format the hard drive, for example?

I have tried with the orignal OSX disks but nothing seems to happen, reboot - Apple - reboot - Apple - reboot - Apple and on and on.

This is with the original OSX disk that came with the machine 10.4.8.

So I tried to install W7 and it took a bit of time but finally I got it installed and doing so formatted my HD, so the file system is now NTFS of course. I tried to DL a copy of THE SAME disk as I already have (I guess this is legal as I own a license to use the OS in the first place [correct me if I am wrong]) but I could not get it onto a disk with any sort of success.

As for commercial OS X installer, that is something I have not tried aalthough I would give it a bash, if there was someone who could point me in the direction of such a ?! link.

Back