Cannot install OS X on Macbook

You can't install OS X on a NTFS-formatted hard drive.

I'm unclear on this - Did you download a copy of OS X, or a copy of Windows 7?
There's Windows 7 downloads direct from Microsoft, so nothing wrong with that.
I've never heard of a 'legal' download of OS X.
The official capability to install Windows through Boot Camp stayed in beta, as a test, basically, until the release of 10.5
I suggest that you purchase a copy of 10.5 - or 10.6 ( which sells for $30)
Or, you may be able to co-exist with Windows with software like rEFIt.
Your best choice will be to boot to your installer DVD, and format the hard drive.
Another possiblility (and a much faster install), is to use Disk Utility to 'Restore' your OS X installer DVD to a partition on an external hard drive. You can boot to that partition (which runs the install), and install your OS X system again.

I am aware that OSX will not install on a NTFS formatted drive.

I downloaded a copy of OS X the same as the one I have (10.4.8) just to see if it was my own copy that was corrupt.

My belief is that it is legal to take a back up copy of purchased software, now if I download the same OS as I already have, then that is pretty much the same as copying the disk myself, is it not? That was what I was getting at in regard too downloading a copy of OS X, the problem being I could not burn it too disk, so it did not work.

I purchased a copy of 10.6 yesterday and it should arrive tomorrow along with a new HD that I also bought.

Now, the thing I would really like to try is the last option you suggested, ie¨ using Disk Utility to restore my OS X installer DVD to a partition on an external drive. But I am a little bit unsure as too how I get it done.

Thanks for the feedback by the way, much appreciated.

Easy-peasy (sorry!)
Open Disk Utility
Create a partition on the external drive sufficient for the Snow Leopard installer disk. I use 8GB
Put your Snow Leopard DVD in the drive, and after that mounts, select any device in the Disk Utility sidebar. Click the Restore tab.
Drag your Snow Leopard icon into the Source block.
Drag your newly created partition into the Destination block.
Click the Restore button, and wait for that to complete - probably 30 minutes to an hour.
And - you can boot to that hard drive partition, which will run the Snow Leopard installer significantly faster than from the DVD.

The problem with getting an OS X install from the 'net - is that you don't know what you have, or if it will work. It's also not you making a backup copy - it's you downloading a mystery OS X that may not work for you (which you said did not work). That's not a backup copy, but just you trying to use a pirated copy.
Keep in mind that it's a good technique to burn a copy of _your_ disk, which may make the difference trying to use an original disk that doesn't read too well - and the copy which may read perfectly. I have done that many times.
BTW, I have used Toast many times for good copies of original disks.
Your 'legal' copy might work successfully through Toast, as it may recognize more 'strange' formats than your DIsk Utility might.
That's all I'm going to say on that issue....
Good luck!

Where and how am I going to open Disk Utility? My MacBook is useless and I am at present using my windows laptop.

Ah, OK.
As it's likely the present format on your hard drive is adding difficulty to the boot -
Remove your hard drive, then you can boot to the OS X installer disk.

Okay, that sounds interesting I shall give it a go.

Thank-you.

Please let me know if that trick can do it, before I remove my own HD.. Is there any Windows Programs similar to Disk Utility? I have the Active@ Kill Disk program on my Win-pc, and I think there was some kind of "Disk Utility-look-a-like" feature.

There must be dozens of drive/partition utilities for Windows... Partition Magic has been around for years. A little googling should bring up a long list.

Well I have put my new HD in my MacBook and popped my new Snow Leopard disk in partitioned and formatted my drive and OSX is now installing (25 minutes to go) So it is looking good at this point, I will give great credit to DeltaMac for his patience and help.

You where right friend the original installer disk was corrupt.

LasStyle get your hands on a copy of Snow Leopard and I think you will be good to go.

Well I have put my new HD in my MacBook and popped my new Snow Leopard disk in partitioned and formatted my drive and OSX is now installing (25 minutes to go) So it is looking good at this point, I will give great credit to DeltaMac for his patience and help.

You where right friend the original installer disk was corrupt.

LasStyle get your hands on a copy of Snow Leopard and I think you will be good to go.

Hvis du er dansker kan vi ligeså godt tage den på dansk. Hvor har du hentet din Snow Leopard kopi? Alt jeg har fundet indtil videre har været noget bras, og min Tiger install dvd er tilsyneladende værdiløs eftersom der ikke er nogle filer på den..

Hvad gjorde du helt præcis? Mit problem er at jeg har en mac med en 100% tom harddisk, og en Tiger install dvd der ikke virker..

Hej, jeg købt en kopi fra en i Den blå avis (10.6.3 Snow Leopard til 150kr) jeg var pis heldig, ellers prøve ebay.de eller ebay.co.uk der er mange til salg men ikke en opgrade selfølgelig. Så er det bare smide disken ind i maskin, det er nemt nok der fra. Held og lykke med det.

Nu kører den sku! Fandt lagt om længe en install der faktisk virkede :)

My Macbook is running again.. The problem was the install dvd, I found a new one - with a great outcome..

But thank god I still have a Windows PC (Win7), not so many problems with that one :p

So the solution of the problem (in my case):

----Step one----
Erase/format the harddrive with a bootable cd from Active Kill Disk
----Step two----
Restart Macbook with an install dvd with OS X on (10.6) while pressing "c"
----Step three----
Add minimum one partition with the disktool, in the install menu before the install begins
----Step four----
Install the OS
----Step five----
Enjoy the Macbook

Thanks for all your help DeltaMac :)

Back