Can't access sites in Safari

dick

Registered
Damn, I know I have asked this question before but I have no record of a response.

I have an eMac with X 10.4.5 - 768 meg ram.

Sometimes I go to Safari and the address starts to download but can not go beyond the http bit or the whole address at times. Other times the bar goes all the way and I am in. I rang my ISP and they suggested I check my DNS numbers, which had fallen off (this has happened before, when I was using 9). I re-entered them but no luck. The ISP suggested I disable firewall and lo and behold ... it worked.

But the problem has reoccured and my DNS numbers are still there and firewall is still off (though I had no probs getting through with it on in the year I have had OS X - besides, isn't firewall there for a purpose??)

Sometimes I get to the address, sometimes it stops halfway.

Oh, and another prob.

I have been downloading apps (specifically Windows Media Player) and when they have been expanded they just disappear. Spotlight search will not find them. Jabberwocky has been very helpful, but I have something like five .bin files but no expanded ones that I can find.

Woe is me - hope someone can help.

Regards from a still hot Australia.

Dick

Try creating a new user test account and see if the same problem exist. If it doesn't, then you downloaded or hack something you might regret. If the same problem exist, then please report back.

I am no expert in firewall knowledge, other than having my running. To access web sites, you should not need to disable your firewall. Additionally, have you tried another browser other than Safari? Although I am not convinced it has anything to do with Safari. Are you on dial-up or broadband?

The prob occurred again and I found I could get to websites but not download anything, nor could I download messages in Mail (query just posted). I had installed Firefox recently - same prob. Then I thought: Duh, if I am getting out but nothing is getting in, so it must be a firewall prob. I disabled it and can now receive (except in Mail - see query).
But firewalls are supposed to protect one's Mac, not deny use of the internet!
Any further thoughts would be appreciated.
Dick

dick said:
But firewalls are supposed to protect one's Mac, not deny use of the internet!
Actually, that's backward: firewalls ARE supposed to deny the use of the internet. That's their whole purpose: to make sure traffic on certain ports does or does not "go somewhere."

ElDiabloConCaca is correct. Firewalls are meant to block inbound and outbound traffic. You can allow inbound traffic and block outbound traffic and vice-versa but telling the firewall to do so. You can even tell it to not do anything by opening up all the inbound and outbound ports (which would be silly :p) or just shutting it off. Firewalls prevent access to your computer but they can also prevent access FROM your computer, and this includes the built-in ones as well. The thing is that most software firewalls that are meant for desktops usually have certain ports already open for you so you don't have to go through the trouble of opening up ports like 80 (http) and some others.

Back