can't get past 'welcome' screen

tramp

Registered
I've just bought a MacBook Pro, and am trying to set it up; I got the welcome screen and moved to my country, but pressing 'return', or tapping the pad, will not move me past the screen

This happened the first time I switched power on. I had to reboot by holding down the power button. When it started up again again it gave the welcome screen. I was able to use down arrow to select New Zealand, but again there is no response to a tap on the touchpad, or a "return". There is no "continue" arrow at the right of the dialog box.

Is it new?
If it goes wrong at the very beginning, my usual recommendation is to insert the installer DVD, boot to that, and do an erase and install. The complete install from the disk does not ask for disk 2 on new Macs, so when you get to your desktop after the system setup, insert the disk 2, and follow the instructions to install the rest of your included software.
Come back here if that doesn't work (or even if it does - good news is appreciated, eh?)

It's a new Mac. I put in the Mac OS X Install disk before I powered on; the disk ejected as it powered on. I put it back in, it stayed; got the whole "welcome" routine again, clicked "English" and - NO CHANGE, still no response to "New Zealand" and no right arrow.

If your computer is indeed new, call Apple support and they will talk you through it immediately at 1-800-APL-CARE.

Calling Mac Support was a great idea but it was closed for the weekend, and I was committed on something else for half the next week. I finally took the Mac back to the shop where I bought it. All he did was press the "power" button. How could I have guessed that? -the screen came up lit, but the power was off? ? ? How confusing, and what a nuisance that being in NZ I can't reach support from Sat 8 pm till Monday 11 am.

This is funny - I just came across this posting as I googled for the same problem. I just got a new macbook pro after using a PC. I'm so used to the TAP to click (which is not activated on the macbook upon first bootup) and didn't realize there were clickers at the bottom of the trackpad that are not visible.

After re-booting a few times, and unsuccessfully finding a solution on the internet, I accidentally pushed down on the clicker and realized my error.

Funny.... silly me.

Once I was able to get past the welcome part, I found the system preferences and enabled the "Tap to click" on the trackpad.

Back