Can't open files from desktop on G5

Crown_9109

Registered
First time on this forum...

I am the prepress guy at a printing company. It also falls on me to fix computer problems with the Macs when they arise. We have several G5 workstations currently running OS X v. 10.3.8. One of our employees was messing with her computer and naively decided she would dump "all those foreign language fonts" because she thought she didn't need them. Very bad idea - toally messed up the Mac operating system (applications would not launch or would crash - it was a big G5 "trainwreck"). I have managed to get most everything working again by reinstalling, repairing permissions, etc) but here is the problem I need help with:

When you click a file that is in a folder or on the desktop, it will launch the application (or go to the application if it is already running in background) but the file does not open. This is also the case if you try to drag the file over to the application icon in the Dock. Does anyone have any idea how to correct this problem (without having to totally reinstall OS-X).

Mike

Does it happen with all files (like even text files set to open with TextEdit), or does it affect certain files? I remember hearing something about Adobe applications refusing to open files when double-clicked, but they open just fine from the "File > Open" menu.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Does it happen with all files (like even text files set to open with TextEdit), or does it affect certain files? I remember hearing something about Adobe applications refusing to open files when double-clicked, but they open just fine from the "File > Open" menu.
Yes, it is only Adobe applications that have the problem, eg: Photoshop, Illustrator and PDF files (Acrobat). Othre programs like QuarkXpress, MSWord open OK, but the Adobe ones will launch the application but not open the file when double-clicked or dragged to the Dock. You have to open them by going into the application first and then going through the open command.

have you tried re-installing the adobe apps. And assuming all your G5's have the same apps on them, maybe build a new one from scratch, and use DiskUtil to make an image of it, so you can just restore onto others if something happens.

Do one of the following:

Solution 1: Copy the Adobe Unit Types file to Library/Scripting Additions.

Copy the Adobe Unit Types file in the Previous System folder to [hard disk]/Library/Scripting Additions.

Solution 2: Reinstall Photoshop.

Remove and reinstall Photoshop.

Background information

If you use the Archive and Install method to upgrade to Panther after installing Photoshop in Mac OS X v10.2.x, the system doesn't copy the Adobe Unit Types file to the Scripting Additions folder. Reinstalling Photoshop restores the Adobe Unit Types file, which enables you to open files in Photoshop

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/329996.html

Back