Censoring on MacOSX.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by BlingBling 3k12

You used it... you felt like you needed to use it... you pretty much got yourself censored by yourself...

I also love this site just as much as simX and many of the THOUSANDS of members... doing this is WRONG!

Ummm... I did that on purpose.

Wow, you'd think I had given dog food to all the kitty cats! :)

I have been busy with my new child, but have had a few moments to give in and see what all the cussing (err fussing) is about.

First off, I have removed the word "suck" from the filter list.

Secondly, all other words will remain censored until further notice. I personally am tired of watching those with a foul mouth run this board into the ground. If you don't like it, leave. Go cuss somewhere else. I hate cussing, and would prefer not to hear it. I thought saying **** was cool in 8th grade. Anyone else who thinks saying **** is cool, then well, like I said, 8th grade.

Now, for those demodupes. Please. You took offense to that? My goodness. You can all dish it out but you can't take it. I'm a Republican and proud of it. You can call Republican's whatever you want, I honestly don't care. I have better things to do with my life than worry about nonsense. If you lost respect for me because of that comment, then I just lost respect for you because of your inability to take a little bit of fun.

Honestly folks, look at you and this thread. Come on, show some maturity. Of all people, Ed, I thought you would understand.

I have never censored ideas, I have only banned a few because of cussing. Banning doesn't work, therefore I have resorted to the current means.

I might be a parent, but I am not YOUR parents. I don't have time to baby-sit you nor to punish everyone, and then to put up with hundreds of emails begging forgiveness and wanting to return back. It's the, "Please teacher, can I go to recess, I promise I won't do it again." Yea, RIGHT. That worked real well.

Sorry, I have little feelings left for this area. Clean up your acts folks. It's just language. And for those who think the US constitution covers this board? Nope, don't think so. No such thing as free speech around here. The only free speech around here is granted, not by the US Constitution, but by the Admin's Free Will which is granted by God.

Enjoy, Have fun... Carry on.

Admin

by Admin
Now, for those demodupes. Please. You took offense to that? My goodness. You can all dish it out but you can't take it. I'm a Republican and proud of it. You can call Replican's whatever you want, I honestly don't care. I have better things to do with my life than worry about nonsense. If you lost respect for me because of that comment, then I just lost respect for you because of your inability to take a little bit of fun.

I can both dish it out and take it. I would venture that I am second to none in that area. But I have never resorted to name calling. I don't know if you remember the thread, but it was on the government and it's systems in general, and up to your post and after, no political parties were degraded in such a way. I have my political beliefs and you have yours, why would either of us need to resort to name calling... sounds like something some one would do in the 8th grade, doesn't it?

once more xoot, you just don't get it:(

Admin- there are 2 areas that i try my best to never 'put down' in general terms because people who identify with them will take it as personal - religion and politics. When you wrote those words about democrats, they very much felt like personal attacks (even though i know they weren't meant that way). It felt like you had broken your own rule about no personal attacking which is one i strongly support. And all i ever really wanted from you was some sort of acknowledgment (like maybe an apology of some sorts) that you didn't mean to demean me and my beliefs in that way. But i will admit this is getting off subject. i only brought it up because it did leave a lasting impression and did color my perceptions when the censorship went down. And still all it would take to regain my respect is a few words of apology.

I can certainly respect the position you are taking about it being easier to just let the software police the boards than you. Given the enormous amount of responsibilities you must have as a proud new dad, i can see your point. and perhaps as we find more words that have some other usefulness than profanity, we can fine tune the filtering so that common words like suck don't just disappear from our vocabularies. I still disagree with the entire concept of censoring, but i can accept your reasons as valid ones for the time being. I agree with Coach about it being more of an opportunity for those abusers to learn with the banishment system, but you're right, it's not me listening to their whining to get back. either way, i'm not sure wtf to do about xoot. Maybe we can find him a sport to play or something:D

and to clear up what still seems to be a misunderstanding - the US constitution would cover this board if you wanted to exercise those rights. The constitution (and bill of rights)is not a law, but rather a guideline for laws. It does not force you to allow cussing, at least as of current interpretations. But it would protect the right to cuss if you did allow it. I have yet to argue that you don't have the right to do what you are doing. I just feel it is morally wrong. but then Vanguard would tell you i am wrong 99% of the time so...;) (in fact i seem to remember defending your right to make choices about the site regardless of what we think)

Well, the US Consitution thing was not clearly spoken. Yes, it does cover this board, while at the same time, it doesn't nessarily cover your rights on this board. If that makes any sense. If I wanted to censor discussions and block all conversations about Mac rumors, I could do that. By if you post false information about a company, they may legally request it be removed or sue you who posted the information. So, anyhow. Thats that.

As for the demodupes, yes it was meant in jest. I apologize to those who felt it was WRONG. I never read that thread beyond my post, so don't have a clue if I got chewed out in that thread or not.

Life is good. Live it. :)

Admin

apology accepted.:)

(ok, i'm not quite feeling all warm and fuzzy inside, but i'm getting there:D )

Wow.

I never intended this to get into a big discussion about the Constitution or anything like that. I just wanted the words "suck" and "p" "i" "s" "s" taken off the censored word list, because they have a legitimate usage.

Kudos to Admin for doing half of it.

Note that I never saw the comments by Admin in question and that it was never in my "agenda" to call Admin's position in question. I just felt that the censorship of those two words was wrong, and should stop. That's it.

At least my sig makes sense now, though.

he he:p

well, that was the main point wasn't it? and i got the apology i wanted from admin. what do you say we call it a day and chalk one up in the win column?:D

seriously - i believe all i wrote and i still look forward to dlookus's explanation i asked for. but win or lose, this has been the most interesting and engaging thread in weeks. all sorts of people crept out of the woodworks and "weighed in" on this subject. and hopefully some late comers still will. It is just so much more fun to have these kinds of discussions than just zinging one liners back and forth in this forum.

so one last word about 'insane' posting - folks, if all you want to do is type a line and get a one line reply, try the chat room. that is what it is for. The forums provide us with an opportunity to really express ourselves and to make meaningful conversation at a slower pace. Is there any way at all that you 'one line kings' can respect that? and respect the admin's desire to not have foul language scattered thru every thread? because what just happened with Simone is a good example of how your lack of thought does effect others, not just yourselves.

lol SIMX I take on your challenge to stop using the word "need" :p -- for how long though ? :p --- I';ve got my trusty thesaurus here with me and I require of myself now to find some pretty good synonims for this dastardly word :p

OK Ed,
Here's what I was I thought was unnecessary about your post:

but frankly, admin has never been that much of this site.

Here you're trying to alienate Admin from the rest of the group

and until his recent slanders of democrats i had the utmost respect for him.

This is a terrible thing to say about a person. Again, your speaking to the rest of the group, not Admin. You say you don't like to put people down about religion or politics, but apparently what you mean is: to their face. This is not a very mature way to get your point across. It's also off topic. You're bringing up seperate issues to exacerbate the current argument. What do you hope to accomplish with this statement?

In light of those cheap shots, this censorship action just looks like more right wing control of freedoms to me, the same kind of mentality that fueled the inquisition and book burnings - deciding what is too dangerous for others and taking on the patriarchical role of protecting them from themselves (a very republican kind of thing to do i have noticed).

We know how you feel about republicans, but this goes too far. Are you just going to associate Admin with everything bad that anyone who's to the right has ever done? You are generalizing in the worst way.

However, it is the people here that have always made this site a place i want to be. there are many i would hate to lose touch with. there are many people that i enjoy 'listening' to what they have to say.
Again alienating admin and speaking to the rest of us.

None of this was necessary, and yes I think you were overreacting. How is this a war?

We all have a choice. If we think things aren't good, we go somewhere else. It's that simple. I like it here too, but I really can't say that I saw big black clouds on the horizon when I realized Admin censored these words.

Originally posted by Admin

First off, I have removed the word "suck" from the filter list.

Secondly, all other words will remain censored until further notice.
I hate cussing, and would prefer not to hear it. I thought saying **** was cool in 8th grade. Anyone else who thinks saying **** is cool, then well, like I said, 8th grade.

Honestly folks, look at you and this thread. Come on, show some maturity. Of all people, Ed, I thought you would understand.

Actually, I feel more offended by a well formulated sentence generalizing 8 graders as people with low social intelligence and limited vocabulary, than by anyone telling me "**** you, Kjetil!".

Do I have to write twenty more lines to make you understand?

Guys, it is his board he can censor what he wants. The US constitution has nothing to do with this, he can do what he wants. Its not a big deal that you can't say some things. It doesn't totally make sense to me that I can say ass but I couldn't say suck, but it isn't going to change my life.

Man, this is why I left the macfixiit boards!

I am pretty conservative, Republican (in voting) but consider myself a civlil libertarian (the classical sense, not what the media will make it out to be - can you tell I was a polisci major?).

I couldn't be more against censorship in any form. As long as you're not hurting someone else, do it, say it, whatever.

Yes, this is Admin's board. BUT, in creating a public forum he takes on certain responsibilities and safeguarding the Constitution and freedom of expression are two of those responsibilities. Sorry, but it's true.

Now, if Admin were to craft a thorough (and I do mean THOROUGH!) acceptable use / policy statement outlining EXACTLY what is and is not allowed, had everyone read and agree to it and acted in a consistent and methodical way in his censorship then MAYBE there'd be precedent on which he could stand. Even then, I wouldn't want to be on his side of the bar in a trial...

In short, I never knew there was a problem here. Everyone policed themselves and freaks and troublemakers were quickly booted. God, I hope this doesn't continue. I have really enjoyed this board and it really helps a lot of people.

BUT, I draw the line when something is an affront to my convictions - no matter if it directly effects me or not or whether it is a huge issue or a small incident. You start censoring "suck" and then what?

Originally posted by apb3
BUT, I draw the line when something is an affront to my convictions - no matter if it directly effects me or not or whether it is a huge issue or a small incident. You start censoring "suck" and then what?

Yep you never know. Heck, "The" might be censored next week if you all don't stop using it.

<rolling eyes>

Give me a BREAK. I'll just shut down the whole board... will that make you all happy? I pay the bills, if I want to block ****, ****, and *****, I can block it if I want.

Get a life folks. I am loosing confidence in some of you. I have ran this place for how long and I block like 5 words and the whole place wants to hang me.

Go figure.

Admin

Okay... VOTE...

1) I can either leave censorship on blocking like 5 words...

-OR-

2) I will post new rules saying if you cuss your out of here and you will be banned with no option to return. Of course, cussing will be subjective to my definition of cussing.

Your choice. Either be filtered or be banned.

Originally posted by Admin
Okay... VOTE...

1) I can either leave censorship on blocking like 5 words...

-OR-

2) I will post new rules saying if you cuss your out of here and you will be banned with no option to return. Of course, cussing will be subjective to my definition of cussing.

Your choice. Either be filtered or be banned.

... so what would those 5 words be? after all, i've got to know what i'm supposed to be voting about ...

Nope... I won't say those words on the board. You either get subjective decision by ME or you get filtered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back