Challenge: Find a name for the brand new PowerPC

Hmm... As it is basically a PowerPC G4 compatible version of the Power4, I'd say this is clearly not a 'new' processor as in a new generation. I think it's time to break with the 'G' monikers... Just use the model names, for Steve's sake... PowerPC 970. 747 was good enough for Boeing, wasn't it? :p

The all new PowerMacintosh. Our supercomputer is now based on the new 64bit PowerPC 970 processor, which bladiblabla... We have two models - a one processor and a dual processor version (why talk about GHz at ALL?).

As much as i agree that, as apple have pointed out, MHz/GHz is little compared to the importance of RAM in todays apps, there are still those out there who assume that chip-speed is everything. This is a very simmilar topic to that of Speakers. mainly Car/Home Entertainment (Not your sony Hi-Fi system with two stupid MDF boxes on the sides) stuff. For instance, just cus a set of speakers say they have a peak power handling of say, 200W, and a continuous (RMS) of say, 80Watts, doesnt mean a lott. it just means they can handle that much power from an amplifier. but you will still get people who assume that the higher the 'rating' the faster/louder it is. Hell. Why do you think people STILL buy P4's? they are the sh!ttest processor available. and yet, they are available at higher clock-rates, so people buy them.

Pengu

Here are my top 5 suggestions

5.) PowerPC X
4.) PowerPC 64
3.) PowerPC iCPU
2.) PowerPC iChip

And the NUMBER 1 spot goes to...

1.) PowerPC G5

All this means nothing as the chip will almost certainly be named the PowerPC 970. I have a feeling apple will go back to the old method of chip naming (601, 603, 604, 604e, 603ev, etc etc) Rather than the generic G3, G4 marking scheme.

They will probably call it a G5, simply because the G stands for generation. The processor doesn't have to share similar architecture or components to be a G5, just have a difference. The 970 is the next generation processor (hopefully).

What should we call the new processor?

hum.......

Apple should promote the next generation processor as being the best text processor on the planet. They should remind everyone how Apple and Adobe introduced the world to desktop publishing. Then they should advertise how Apple's new processor can outperform Intel's best at parsing and text searches. Since the backbone of the internet relies on HTML (which heavily leverages the use of text standard such as unicode and ascii) I think this is not that crazy of a concept. Too much importance is place on graphics performance, but not enough importance is placed on how well a CPU handles words and sentences. The PowerPC architecture is a very wide architecture, there are many integer and floating units. Don't forget about the altivec vector processing unit. If Apple optimizes Mac OS X to pipe text through all of these available subunits efficiently, the PowerPC will reign king in the area of text manipulation technologies.

So what should we call this new processor?

keep scrolling

keep scrolling

keep scrolling

keep scrolling

keep scrolling

keep scrolling

keep scrolling

keep scrolling

keep scrolling

keep scrolling

keep scrolling

keep scrolling

the G String!!

They should call it the PowerPC F8

We need a lot of faith these days. And I beleive this new processor will give some...

-Sighter

Hey Apeintheshell, you miss one gaming machine: Jaguar, made by Atari at begining of the 90th, the very first 64 bit gaming machine.

G5 is out unless they can convince Motorola otherwise (how G5 and 586 have anything in common I don't know, does G4 make people think there is a 486 running in there?)

xAnything is out because it is very similar to the x704 that was supposed to be from Exponential (remember them?)

iAnything is out because it really does sound to close to Intel chips (iAPX86), remember this is the chip name right?

My guess would be G6, it's remains consistent and is enough of a departure to differentiate it from G4/G5 (after all G4 is just a G3 with AltiVec right, well close enough).

btw, Jaguar wasn't really 64bit, at least not based on the cpu.

The graphic processor was 64 bits, and this is how game machines are measured. (like PCs ?)

Back