Change Startup Disks During Boot

I'm not sure why you got the error about <CHRP-BOOT>

If you email me some details about your computer I'll try to figure it out.

If you want to clear the boot-device variable, simply use Startup Disk (In any OS) and it will overwrite it.

My email is <lramsay@mac.com>

I need to know what type on Mac you have and how old it is.

I also need to know what partitions have which OSes that you want to boot.

If you have an IDE HD with two HFS+ partitions, then they should be 6 and 7 (although my partitions always start at 9 but I have an iMac)

Cheers,
Link :)

hmm. i got the same error, and i'm running 9 and X on the same partition (one massive hfs+ partition on my pbg3)

i figured that since it was one partition i could just use the script you posted as is...

I think I know where the problem lies...

I think there is a problem with the way that this site has displayed the script. eg. I think the line that currently reads <B>dup get-msecs &lt;</B> should look different.

Because any text you enter when you post here is treated as HTML, &lt; and &gt; must be enterred as &amp;lt; and &amp;gt; respectively.

There are probably other characters that were mangled by the HTML interpreting of ASCII text. I'll compare the posted script with the actual one and see if there are any differences.

Originally posted by a1291762
I think I know where the problem lies...

I think there is a problem with the way that this site has displayed the script. eg. I think the line that currently reads <B>dup get-msecs &lt;</B> should look different.

Because any text you enter when you post here is treated as HTML, &lt; and &gt; must be enterred as &amp;lt; and &amp;gt; respectively.

There are probably other characters that were mangled by the HTML interpreting of ASCII text. I'll compare the posted script with the actual one and see if there are any differences.

You could just attach a test file to your post for everyone to download. That would solve the html mangling problem.

I get a broken system folder when I try the opt key during startup.

Mac is:

Beige G3 400MHz 1MB
224MB SDRAM
RAGE128 Orion PCI
30GB 7200rpm
20GB 5400rpm
Ext. SCSI 8x20x CDR

Mac OS X build 4L13 10.0.1

Anyone know if you can use the boot selector from PowerPC Linux to choose OS X or OS 9.1?

I ran PPC Linux for a short while last year, good OS, but the selection process during startup with that was really good.

Again, I do appreciate everyone's help on this and especially look forward to when a1291762 posts or attaches the fixed script.

the option key simply loads you into the open firmware booter. it is avaible on all new world machines, and is in no way buggy. the of (open firmware) booter can also be used to boot you into linux partitions, or any other os you have installed.

brian
http://www.osxsecurity.com

I think the firmware boot loader (holding down option before startup) only works if you have your systems on different partitions (which i don't have). On the other hand, I also have an old (its probably considered old by now) 300mhz B&W.

I've compared the script that was posted to the original and it's virtually the same. The only difference is indentation in the code which doesn't matter anyway. The first boot menus were put directly into nvram which meant they had to fit in 128 bytes or so. formatting doesn't affect forth code.

I can only guess that the problem has to do with OF.

Sorry for the false hopes etc.

You might try talking to the creaters of Yaboot or Ybin to see if they can help.

Originally posted by strobe
It's a lot easier to use "d" which selects the first volume (first partition on the primary ATA bus on my G4) and command-option-shift-delete to select the last volume.

I tried that. command-option-shift-delete works for me, in my case it boots into X.
But "d" doesn't do anything for me. Is this something that is only in open firmaware since G4? I have a B/W G3.

You write about writing OF scripts yourself.
Is there any source where I could look into writing open firmware scripts?
I would like to write my own scripts, but I don't just want to type down some commands that are posted here, I would like to really know what I am doing (at least partially).

Choosing your system at startup, by using the option key, works only if you have OSX on one partition and OS9 on the other. I had this setup and then reformated into one partition and now the only way I can change is through the Startup Disk control panel. I would also be interested if the script mentioned earlier works, as switching is currently a ?#¢€ing pain.

I'm pretty sure I've heard of this option key thing somewhere. It seems that in Mac OS 9 on Revs. A,Band C iMacs, this option closes all windows on login.

On later machines though, I'm not sure.

I've used this option key thing on my Rev. C iMac/OS X Final and it works!

'd' works when the current volume is NOT the 'first' volume. On my G4 the 'first' volume is the first bootable partition on the ATA66 master drive.

sort of....

...if you hold down X during startup it will boot into OSX regardless of what you have your startup disk settings set at.

Think this might only work if they're installed on teh same partition though.

The Option has always worked on my system. Through OSX 10.0.0-10.0.4 never had a problem. Even when the two OSes were on the same partition.

TEG

there are clear instuctions how to swap partition during boot in "Learn and earn" however, the answer is this: if you want to use the OS X partition - hold down the X key during start up. If you want to use OS 9 - hold down the 9 key.

if you want to choose between the both hold down the alt key during start up!

it really works!

Hey very clever!

But what about choosing the system, when OS9 and OSX are on the SAME partition????
Will anybody ever find an answer????

Looking forward to that! Really!!!

Originally posted by CrazyAlex
Hey very clever!

But what about choosing the system, when OS9 and OSX are on the SAME partition????
Will anybody ever find an answer????

Looking forward to that! Really!!!
Answer: the X key, and the 9 key, just like mentioned above.

A friend of mine has a TiBook with just one partition, and I know it works.

It won't work on older computers, only on G4 and newer iMacs. It does not work on my B/W G3, jus like the option key does not work :(

Back