Change Startup Disks During Boot

oooh. so it must be a new firmware dealiebobber (thats a techincal term) in openfirmware that allows the 'X' / '9' key selection. sorta like what we were trying ages ago with the openfirmware script...

now only if we could figure out how to get it on to the older macs... i'm sick of having to go into startup disk on my pbg3fw (powerbook g3 / firewire)

Originally posted by Tigger

Answer: the X key, and the 9 key, just like mentioned above.

A friend of mine has a TiBook with just one partition, and I know it works.

It won't work on older computers, only on G4 and newer iMacs. It does not work on my B/W G3, jus like the option key does not work :(

Thanx tigger!

But it doesn't work on my iMac DV. The option key works only with different partitions. Yeah, pressing it, I can choose between the one partition I have - this is making no sense...
Neither the X- nor the 9-key is having any effect. By the way: I got the latest firmware-update installed.

Can anyone help me?

alright so i've got an 867g4 with 10.1 and 9.2.1 on the same partition (i think i'm gonna back up and make 2 partitions). earlier today i tried starting up while holding down the 9 key, but it didnt work. as mentioned above the option key looks for more than one partition. what's goin on here? it isnt 9 on the keypad is it?

The X-key works!
But the 9 doesn't (Itried both 9-keys on the keyboard)!

I used to have more than one partition, but... than I kept running out of HD-memory on one or the other.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

So the X key and the 9 key don't work on my G3

I found this on the developer.apple.com server (Dated 1998):

The following keys can be used to override the selected startup device.
  • Key combination Command-Option-Shift-Delete: ignore the boot-device setting and scan for alternate devices.
  • C key: force the internal CD-ROM drive to be the startup device
  • D key: force the internal hard disk to be the startup device
The Command-Option-Shift-Delete combination works for me, but strangly enough only when I chose OS 9 as the OS to boot in, where as per Apple definition it should take the next boot partition it finds, no matter which is the current startup volume.
The D key doesn't do anything for me, no matter which OS is set for Startup volume. But that is just what I would assume when I look at Apples definition.

But it has to be somehow possible to play with Open Firmware to get the X key and the 9 key going even on the old Macs I think. If only I knew how... :(

Back