Changing Permissions In Terminal On Mac Pro Tower 10.8

rickself

Registered
Hello - I recently added 2 HD's from a G5 running 10.5.8 to my current MacPro running 10.8. Half of my folders that migrated over are now locked. INdividually unlocking them will take forever. If I get info on the HD icon and change permissions, it works for some folders but not for others. I recall reading a way to reset an entire drive in Terminal but the solutions were for Macbooks and others dating back to 2003! I don't want to try something ancient and hope it works - or doesn't work and mucks things up even more.
Can someone help? Please and thank you -

I am surprised that no one has offered a solution for you. I haven’t had a permissions problem in ages so my only offer is a work around.
While knowing that correcting permissions through Get Info on each folder will take what may seem a long time, try anticipating which folders you need to access in advance and use Get Info the night before, allowing it to work through the night.

Were these drives previously accessed through a different user name on the G5?

I am surprised that no one has offered a solution for you. I haven’t had a permissions problem in ages so my only offer is a work around.
While knowing that correcting permissions through Get Info on each folder will take what may seem a long time, try anticipating which folders you need to access in advance and use Get Info the night before, allowing it to work through the night.

Were these drives previously accessed through a different user name on the G5?
Even though both computer are mine, one was at work and one was at home. They did have different user names. When the LCS on the G5 at work started to fail and the processor wasn't processing anymore, I removed those 2 drives and put them into my MacPro at home. The G5 was running 10.5.8 - the most it could run without an Intel processor. Most of the files I need for work are on the old drives and EVERY time I try to save, I either have to Get Info and change permissions or Authenticate to move files.
It was within the past year or so that I read, I thought in this forum, on how to go into either Single User or Terminal and reset all permissions on an entire drive at once

If you are still struggling with file ownership on those two drives -
Have you tried the good BatchMod utility?
You can fix virtually any file/folder ownership problem without descending into the terminal :D
(Follow the directions carefully, as you can mess up your system quite quickly if you jump in without knowing at least a little ... )

If you are still struggling with file ownership on those two drives -
Have you tried the good BatchMod utility?
You can fix virtually any file/folder ownership problem without descending into the terminal :D
(Follow the directions carefully, as you can mess up your system quite quickly if you jump in without knowing at least a little ... )
This is a handy utility - dangerous for the faint of heart, but handy!
Thanks

Back