Chimera 0.2.2!

googolplex

jeff.hume.ca
Chimera 0.2.2 is out!

Heres the descrition from chimera.mozdev.org:

What's New In 0.2.2

Chimera can now open URLs sent to it from other apps, so you can now make Chimera your default browser and not have it sit there looking stupid when you tell it to load something. ;)

Text Zoom has been implemented, so you can now increase and decrease the font size used in a Web page.

Chimera now obeys the new minimum font size pref, ensuring that Quartz-rendered fonts don't fall below the typical anti-aliasing cutoff point. Quartz rendering has been improved. In addition to being speedier, it now has fixes for printing and for text spacing.

Chimera now has a bookmarks toolbar. Like the Mozilla Classic personal toolbar, Chimera's toolbar can wrap to multiple rows and supports pages and folders.

Bookmarks management has been improved. You can now specify where you want to create a new bookmark. You can now create new folders. The sidebar tree widget has been enhanced to support more keyboard navigation (left/right arrows to open/close, return to launch, delete key to delete, etc.).

Bookmark groups have been fully implemented. When adding a bookmark with multiple tabs open, you have the option of bookmarking all the tabs as a single group. Use this feature to load bundles of pages in a single click!

Background tab loading will now work. Background tabs will now refresh properly if left unattended.

Enjoy!
Dave
(hyatt@netscape.com)

Were you actually able to download it? When I tried to download it, I just got errors. :rolleyes:

STILL no proper way to close tabs??? Can it really be that hard to make a little X in the upper right corner that will do the same command as [command]+[Y]?

can someone put it on an idisk or something seems to be very slow (for me anyway)
thanks

OK, I decided to give Chimera another chance.

Form buttons, like here on MacOSX.com, are still TOTALLY ugly – they're not even aqua buttons! Just stupid grey buttons.

When typing in forms, I STILL get totally ahead of myself, and the cursor is still never totally in front of the letters.

Back to Omniweb....

Sim, stop it. I don't claim that it is perfect and neither do I. So stop bashing it every time a release doesn't make it perfect. Go bash windows or something! :). We all know that you use omniweb and aren't going to switch until chimera has all the same features. We all know its not perfect. There are two active developers on this! They can't make a perfect browser in so short a time. Loosen up. Nobody is saying that chimera is perfect so why are you argueing that it isn't?

btw, keep your anti-chimera rants of versiontracker.

The software is in development. Please see it as an alpha release. You keep wanting to see this as a 4.0 release like omniweb!

No hard feelings though :D

Originally posted by googolplex
Sim, stop it. I don't claim that it is perfect and neither do I. So stop bashing it every time a release doesn't make it perfect. Go bash windows or something! :). We all know that you use omniweb and aren't going to switch until chimera has all the same features. We all know its not perfect. There are two active developers on this! They can't make a perfect browser in so short a time. Loosen up. Nobody is saying that chimera is perfect so why are you argueing that it isn't?

btw, keep your anti-chimera rants of versiontracker.

The software is in development. Please see it as an alpha release. You keep wanting to see this as a 4.0 release like omniweb!

No hard feelings though :D

*sigh*

I've TOLD you a million times, and I guess I have to tell you again.

I'm giving a review of the current release. And I just said that I CAN'T USE IT FOR NORMAL USE BECAUSE OF THE PROBLEMS THAT I DESCRIBED ABOVE. Notice that I didn't say anything about bookmarks or history or preferences or spam-blocking or source editors or customizable toolbars.

Browsers need to KEEP UP WITH WHAT I TYPE, and when they don't, the browser is rendered UNUSABLE. And you know that appearance is second only to usability in my mind. So I'm saying why Navigator does not meet my top two priorities in a web browser.

So why don't YOU stop bashing me every time I say something bad about Chimera. You sound almost as bad as the people that defend Microsoft even though they know that they are defending an illegal monopoly.

*sigh*

DON'T make me have to post something like this again, gplex. It's really tiring.

OK, if your posting a real review of it then why don't you look at both sides? Why don't you comment on how there is now a personal toolbar, bookmarks are gettinb etter, etc. I'm sorry if I annoy you, but just complaining about the negatives of alpha software is silly. Of course there are negatives. The purpose of this thread is to update people on the new positives!

I don't know how I sound like people who defend an illegal monopoly. All I'm saying is to look at the positives. I can point out a million things wrong with chimera but I like to see that things are being fixed and new things are coming.

Sorry if I'm annoying and I'm making you mad. I just don't like when you do a "review" and point out all the negatives and don't even mention any positives!

Sorry.

In 0.2.1 they messed up and made text too small. 0.2.2 obeys the quartz settings that you set in system prefs. If you look at omniweb the text is probably the same size.

gplex:

The reason I focus on these negatives is because they are my top two priorities, and they render Navigator totally unusable for me.

MacOSX.com is one of the main sites to go to, so I test every new web browser with it, because it is a pretty demanding website. When a browser can't simply keep up with what I type, it doesn't get my support no matter if it has a million other cool features or missing features.

I tried to use it, but all of the other features are rendered moot because of the text thing that makes Navigator just unbearable. I literally quit after my first posting with Navigator 0.2.2 (my first post in this thread), because it couldn't work with the main website that I go to.

I'm sorry if I seem like I'm bashing, but I'm really not. Navigator fails in one of the most important aspects of a web browser, so it loses my support right off the bat. That's why my review was so quick – it's not worth it to review the other features if one of the main things is not implemented well.

About the Microsoft thing: you seem to jump at the chance to defend Navigator every time I say something bad about it. But the fact is that it misses the boat with one very important feature: typing in forms. And because of that, it's not worth it, in my opinion, to review it any further, even if it made every ho-hum website three-dimensionally interactive, or if it knew exactly which link I wanted to click on through the industry's first neural link.

My point is that you seem to overlook the fact that Navigator can't handle my typing speed, while all other browsers can. Maybe it's just me and my dvorak keyboard, but I sense that it would still have the same problem even if I was using the QWERTY keyboard layout. And in this overlooking, you seem to tout Navigator unequivocally, and this is what makes me angry.

Back