Chimera 0.2.2!

Originally posted by voice-
STILL no proper way to close tabs??? Can it really be that hard to make a little X in the upper right corner that will do the same command as [command]+[Y]?

Don't you mean, upper left corner? This here is Mac country, pardner.

sim, sorry about being overly 'protective' of chimera :). I'm a big evangelist of web standards and thus mozilla. This project makes me very excited and I do get carried away often :). And yes typing is a problem for me, same with form controls. Thats why I still use omniweb and mozilla for a lot. Anyways sorry for bashing you in a way.

From now on I'll post a disclaimer in all my posts that informs everyone of the problems with it still ok? :D.

And finally, this is all friendly argueing. At least it is on my side.

simX, Googolplex: You guys are cool. :D

Personally I can handle the text box thing, but I guess I can see why it would bother someone enought that you wouldn't want to use it.

I'm just getting the new Chimera when I can and hoping it'll be the best browser ever when it gets to 1.0.

Keep in mind that at this point it's not even a quarter of the way there in terms of version number. I think many will agree that in terms of features and usability it's far beyond that. The fact that it can handle a site like macosx.com at all, so early in its development, seems to me a good sign.

Chimera 4 times better than it is now? That's why I'm so loyal. :p I'm working on getting used to it, bumps and all, so that when the bumps go away it will be extra-nice.

-the valrus

Heh, train yourself on imperfect things so when it becomes normal it seems perfect. Good thinking valrus :).

Oh yeah and why are me and simx cool???

The text speed is fine for me in 0.2.2, and I'm a pretty zippy typer (75+ if I know what I'm typing).

What bugs me is the form elements are still really nasty, and when typing the forms the cursor does this strange overlapping thing. It also happens to be taking about 30% at least of my CPU time just sitting here while I'm typing. It shows promise though.

ksuther: Same here with the overlapping thing. Bummer. They'll fix it. I have faith. :p

googolplex: I thought you and simX were about to kill each other but you patched it all up in two posts. If only everyone here could be like that.

-the valrus

Valrus, thats probably because every chiemra release we get into an arguement about it :). Also I respect what sim says and I know him from other threads on here, he's a very good guy. Its easy to patch things up when you are considerate and reasonable with people. Notice how it is very hard to patch things up in the macxp.net thread, but here a couple of posts and everthing is fine!

:)

Originally posted by googolplex
Valrus, thats probably because every chiemra release we get into an arguement about it :). Also I respect what sim says and I know him from other threads on here, he's a very good guy. Its easy to patch things up when you are considerate and reasonable with people. Notice how it is very hard to patch things up in the macxp.net thread, but here a couple of posts and everthing is fine!

:)

I swear you're just misspelling things in every one of your posts to me on purpose now. :p

-the valrus

I was just notified that the binary that I mirrored is actually not the final chimera 0.2.2 release and it has some bugs in it. You can download the real version from chimera.mozdev.org or get it off me when I mirror the real version now that it is here.

Scruffy, I meant upper RIGHT corner. Ever used Mozilla and closed a tab? That's what I want in Chimera, and to me, the browser is NOT the least bit OK till it has a proper way to close tabs.

Originally posted by googolplex
In 0.2.1 they messed up and made text too small. 0.2.2 obeys the quartz settings that you set in system prefs. If you look at omniweb the text is probably the same size.

for me, text is now too big. maybe it's just a matter of getting used to. :)

Voice, I'm not sure how easy that is to do with a cocoa tab view.... It would probably violate Apple's interface guidelines as well....

Chimera is giving me a banner ad at the bottom of macslash.org that I'm not getting in mozilla. Has anybody else seen this?

Also, I am typing too fast for chimera to keep up. I look forward to this getting worked out. Another issue, the cursor is sitting behind the letters. That makes it hard for me to edit my speedy but sometimes inaccurate typing :) .

On the positive side, it looks great, it uses less CPU, and it renders quickly.

I agree with everybody else, it shows a lot of promise but it's not ready yet.

So, does anybody else get these extra banner ads with chimera?

No extra banner here vangaurd.

And I think that the text fields and form elements are their next priority. I was talking to one of the Developers the other day about it.

Googleplex will always win his arguments because he has more people on his side ;)
I don't claim that it is perfect and neither do I.
:) Sorry Just had to point that out.

I really like this version of Chimera and it has attained a spot on my dock (I only have 15 so that actually means something, unlike somepeople who have 120 some). Chimera is actually about 1 or 2 releases away from replacing mozilla on the dock. I have Omni which I use for this site (spell check) and moz for fast surfing and tabs. Since the typing in forms sucks on this and it hasn't implemnted spell check yet, this can be my speedy browser.

My only major gripe with this is the name. I know it's a small matter but Chimera is sooo much cooler than navigator and it lets people know that it is like mozilla better than Navigator does. I don't know if people feel the same way but I hope the powers that be know so they can appreciate that their original creativity was well founded.

Lol, I didn't notice that I typed that. I meant to say that I dont claim that its perfect and neither do the developers.

There are issues with the name. Chimera is still the project name Navigator is the name of the app however. Its all very confusing. They had to change the name, however, because there is an old unix browser named chimera. I think that people will still call it chimera even though the app is called Navigator. I know I still call it that and so do the developers. :D

Back