Chimera 0.2.5

googolplex

jeff.hume.ca
Heh Heh Heh

Installation
The newest build of Chimera is 0.2.5. You can download it from the following location:

Dave's iDisk

What's New (0.2.4 -> 0.2.5)

Plugin support has been greatly improved. Crashes when scrolling pages with Flash have been fixed. This build is generally much more stable with plugins than 0.2.4. Plugins will now stay inside the window and not paint on your toolbars and status bar.

The ability to choose your renderer has been fully implemented. From the View menu, you can select "Smooth Text" to use Quartz anti-aliasing. If you turn this option off, you will be using Quickdraw un-antialiased text. International users can turn off the Quartz anti-aliasing to view non-Roman characters. This can also be used as a good debugging tool to find out whether performance or rendering problems are specific to our Quartz rendering implementation.

Menulist popups will now position themselves properly when the page is scrolled.

You can now drag and drop links from a page onto Gecko windows to load the URL in that window.

Sounds good!

get it at chimera.mozdev.org/installation.html

Yeah, this link downloads a bogus gzip file that won't mount.

I really love the way Navigator is coming along. Contrast this with OmniWeb. OmniWeb has come a long way since it's official "release" in March 2001, but it still has some major fundamental flaws in it's HTML/CSS/Javascript rendering, that haven't seem to be improved over the last year.

My only wish for a feature implementation, one that I'm sure is coming, but hopefully very soon, is for a progress bar on the download box, so you can know when your download is done. Give me that and some improvements to the bookmark organization tools, and this browser will be there for 100% of my daily browsing needs.

The file has been fixed.

Wow, there must be some serious bottlenecks with the ATSUI patch because pages render sooo much quicker when you switch it off.

Golly. :)

DMG is healthy now. Iam currently using it. This seems to be one build for less superficial fixes. It really is a great browser in such short time.

I know that with every release I get more and more picky. This is my list: The mouse is HEAVY, I can't move it from the top of the scroll bar to the bottom in one motion. The spell checking is not yet implemented.

But really, as far as surfing the web goes, Chimera is a great browser. And I will never quit calling it Chimera and that's final.

yea, I am using it right now typing this message. this browser rock! but somethings i hope it will be fixed soon are:

- Supporting 2bytes characters
- Better AQUA/form elements (like Omniweb)
- Click on the dock icon to new window/tab
- Better Flash support (try http://www.iconcepthk.com/ and you will know)

:D

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
Contrast this with OmniWeb. OmniWeb has come a long way since it's official "release" in March 2001, but it still has some major fundamental flaws in it's HTML/CSS/Javascript rendering, that haven't seem to be improved over the last year.

OmniWeb's official 'release' was before Netscape Navigator was conceived. That's why it's called version 4.x. Chimera can 'simply' use the mozilla codebase for page rendering. My suggestion would be that OW could also use the mozilla base, as this seems to be quite good (I'm using Galeon on Linux all the time). But then again, the mozilla code is still bloated. (Compare download sizes...)

I guess we'll have to see where the projects are headed. I'm eager to install Mozilla 1.0.0 Final, though.

Originally posted by ddma
- Better Flash support (try http://www.iconcepthk.com/ and you will know)
What do you mean? That site worked great for me.

Originally posted by Koelling
And I will never quit calling it Chimera and that's final.
I'm gonna keep calling it Chimera as well. One day when "Navigator" is the standard for web browsers, we'll be walking around calling it Chimera and everybody else will be clueless.:D

Anyway; I do think Chimera is a really great browser, but almost everytime I install a new build, it crashes within five minutes of launching it.

Wow, it's MUCH faster this time around!

By the way, OmniWeb b5 happens to be out. The list of things changed and fixed is so long, I don't think I can read it all, but a lot of them happen to include the words fixed, optimizations, or faster. It's also A LOT faster, everyone go try it :p

Scrolling seems to be a bit faster in Chimera now too.

Some of the complaints I'm hearing are:
1) Better flash support
2) Better use of Aqua form elements...

Hello? Have you people actually downloaded and used 0.25? The iConcept site (and just about every other Flash site I tested) works fine, actually, even faster than IE.

As for the Aqua form elements, as I type this page, all the form elements appear to be Aquaifed to me....

As I've said, the only essential things missing from this build now are the ability to actually just click on a link and have it download, and fixing the lack of progress bar on the download window. Give me that and the ability to actually manage my bookmarks, and I'm one happy camper. Everything else is gravy...

Side note: I think it would be cool to have a "Download Manager" located as a tab in the side panel. I really don't want another Window, and keeping everything in the Side panel seems like a good idea.

I am sorry about that I didn't discribe my problem clearly.

For the flash problem, have you guys noticed the screen redraw was a bit wired? I meant the white background in the loading sense, it doesn't appear normally but only when you move ur mouse over the place (but it will draw the background completely once ya have moved ur mouse cursor).

For the Aqua form elements, I wanted to say the buttons sometimes overlay on each other or somethings whatever, here is a cap screen:
aquaform.gif

Also, it would be great if the "submit" button blinks while you are in the form like OmniWeb.

I was just trying to give my feedback and aporigze of not giving the full description for you guys...

Finally! A version of Chimera I can see myself using for more than 5 minutes.
2 complaints though:
1. Still, no intuitive way to close a tab:(
2. Tabs won't load in background

voice, currently close tab is command-Y. It's going to change to command-w and close window will be command-shift-w as soon as they get a good way to do so.

what I said about using it for more than 5 minutes: I take it back, this thing still crashes more than Windows 98...

ksuther, I know, but I'm looking for some way to do it with the mouse. An X somewhere, or right-clicking the tab to close...

chimera hardly ever crashes for me. Maybe it doesn't like something your doing voice :D.

Adding an x would go against apples UI guidelines I think.

Back