Chimera programmer feeling way down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

phatsharpie

Futuristic Robotic Cat
Sorry, maybe this isn't the most correct forum for this...

I was reading Mike Pinkerton's blog, and it sounds like he is feeling way down and unsure about Chimera's future. If you don't know who Mike Pinkerton is, he is the lead programmer for Chimera. Below if captured from his blog...

I'm torn about what to do with Chimera. It's obvious it will only ever be a marginal product on a even more marginal platform. AOL and Netscape have no interest in supporting it. Who aspires to be number two in an already over-commoditized space? Working my ass off for 3% just isn't any fun any more. Safari has already won, the rest is just to see by how much.

I feel really bad because although Safari has became my default browser, I always have a special place in my heart for Chimera. And Mike has really done an amazing job with it... *sigh* Don't know what to say, but pure bummer.

Below is a link to his blog if anyone is interested...

http://mozpink.blogspot.com/

Originally posted by phatsharpie
Sorry, maybe this isn't the most correct forum for this...

I was reading Mike Pinkerton's blog, and it sounds like he is feeling way down and unsure about Chimera's future. If you don't know who Mike Pinkerton is, he is the lead programmer for Chimera. Below if captured from his blog...

I feel really bad because although Safari has became my default browser, I always have a special place in my heart for Chimera. And Mike has really done an amazing job with it... *sigh* Don't know what to say, but pure bummer.

Below is a link to his blog if anyone is interested...

http://mozpink.blogspot.com/

That's not good! Other than Safari and Omniweb, Chimera was a trustful, useful with loads of features browser and I would be happy to support it if its authors will decide to go shareware...

What I am sure about, anyways, is that Chimera is Speedy and by each and every new version was becoming a GREAT browser for the Mac which I would hate to lose forever... I also feel somewhat confused with its Mozilla/Netscape roots but hey: It IS a great product which I think all the Mac users MUST support in order NOT to lose it... forever... :(

.. Safari hasn't won. At least me.. I hope they don't give up on Chimera or I'll stuck on the January xx - nightly.. :(

... isn't there his address somewhere? or should i start a Pro Chimera movement on all mac boards?? i like it far more than Safari... :(

I think "Innovations" would save Chimera. Programmers, c'mon, you know how to write better application. :)

It seems to me that the entire Mozilla project has slowed down. It doesn't seem like they are putting out as many updates as they used to.
(And I don't mean nightly updates.)

There was a time when I hated Chimera...It crashed every time I used it. The webpages got all screwed up...and then came version .6...and everything changed.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I like Safari and Chimera both, but they both need some work.

It's possible, though, that there is room for both on the Mac platform. I think the browser that is going to suffer the biggest loss of users is I.E.

i think its about time that IE suffers big losses . because from my point of view. in comparison to all other available browsers. ITS THE WROSE ONE THERE IS ! i even prefer the slow heavy Netscape from it. IE is useless and can be dangerous. and its about time ppl stop using it :)

I would agree with you. Microsoft hasn't released a new version of it since August. It is the only browser I know of, too, that has had numerous security patches released for it.

The updated version of I.E. for OS 9 froze my system more than the original..or it did. :) When I had Mozilla installed in OS 9, it hardly ever froze the system.

And AOL loads webpages so much better without I.E. as the central browser. Mozilla is slow sometimes, but it is relatively stable...even if it is bloated. :)

Believe me, I would know. I have beta tested every build of AOL for OS X- with and without Explorer.

Chimera could easily get more market share by fixing the interface issues. Better bookmark management, text handling, integrating the mozilla engine with Cocoa and/or Carbon...

But he's certainly right: It doesn't make much sense to try and win this game now that Apple has shown that someone who _can_ do interface can easily please a crowd with an old concept like a browser...

Uh? I don't believe i'd be the only one who prefers the bookmark management of chimera compared to that of safari.. No way that i'll use safari before it has tabs. Other than the bookmark tab. :(

Join the Pro-Chimera Movement...

Same here. Chimera #1, Safari #2. Chimera is a top class browser, the only suggestion i would have, is for the download manager to ignore images when saving them.

i'm not too worried, hopefully others will pick up the slack if certain people decide to stop developing chimera.

Originally posted by gigi
.. Chimera is a top class browser, ...

hmm.. its not a TOP class browser yet. thats what i think. it has quite a few problems. its crashes. its incompatible with some sites. its language support is perfect :) in time .. if this guy keeps on workin hard, it will become a top class browser !!!

You can find Pinkerton's mail by typing his name in Google.

I've sent him the URL of this thread.

Thanx Toast!!!

Hey Pinkerton!!! I like Chimera a lot.. Keep it alive! It's [boosted] faster than Safari, i like more it's bookmark system and I hate browsers without tabs :p I like it I like it I like it...

<<< Starts the Pro Chimera Political Party .. :D

<- start of Switch music

I was always browsing with IE, but I felt like somthing was lacking ... I dunno ... it was a bit sluggish .. and I wasn't complately satisfied with the interface ... there was something simply ... well, missing.

But then I deiscovered Chimera, and it was like ... WOW ... it had this leek no-nonsense interface ... and the speed! Man is it fast!

And I haven't got to the best yet!

Two words: Tabbed Browsing! Great. That was exactly what I was missing in IE. ... No doubt about it: Chimera rocks!

end of Switch Music ->

:D :D :D

Mr. Pinkerton: Keep up the good work!

Giaguara: Pro-Chimera! Where do I apply? Do I have to sign in blood?

Chimera is honestly the best browser on the Mac. Safari is unbelievably bad, I don't care what the fanboys say. Put 'accept cookies originating from server only' and better support for video (better support for windows media and real player) and you'll have the best browser in the world frankly.

Safari is garbage

Chimera is a great browser.
But if fighting against M$ is difficult, fighting against Apple on MacOS X is... nearly impossible.

Maybe Chimera can be sold ?

and safari only works on Jaguar... not everybody has jaguar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back