Classic doesn't start at all! :(

LaraCroft

Registered
Hi there,
since I've installed macos X.2 Classic doesn't start at all (the message that comes up is: "Resourse Update Error - An error was encountered while attempting to update your system folder with Classic-specific resources.".Before with OSX.1.5 it was fine, and if now I start from OS 9 everything works perfectly, it's just Classic in X.2 that doesn't start...I've tried deleting the classic preferences but it didn't work..I really don't know what to do...do you have any suggestion?
Many thanks
Lara

Try booting from your 9.2 CD (Restart and hold the "C" key) try re-intalling 9.2 right onto the OS X drive. That did the trick for me.

Are you sure you have ClassicOS 9.2 installed? If you have 9.1 or before you will definitely have problems, according to apple's website...

Cheers!

Thank you Finch and Natobasso for your sugggestion,
unlikely it wasn't enough..:(
I installed again 9.2.2 another time after I read your note even though i tried already that yesterday, but still comes up the same error and Classic fails to start.....

Your OSX won't update the Classic files, (well - duh!!!) Have you tried repairing permissions? Try deleting the main Classic files in the System Folder (there are 3, all starting with the word Classic) then try starting Classic again :rolleyes:

DeltaMac,
I don't understand what you mean by "repairing permissions", but I tried deleting the 3 Classic files (Classic,Classic support, Classic Support UI) from the System folder but again it didn't work, it comes up the same error grrrr
Thank you for your reply anyway :)

Hey LaraCroft,

I'm glad to say that I have the exact same error as you do. I'm running OS X.2.3 and have Mac OS 9 installed on an external firewire drive. I tried reinstalling a million times on the firewire drive but it never worked. Are you by any chance using OS 9 from a different drive like I am?

Cheryl suggested that I install OS 9 directly on the OS X drive and try from that. You can try the same thing, hopefully it'll work.

Andre

Lara,

You need OS 9 installed on the same drive as OS X for classic to work. If you have that, did you do a clean install of OS 9? Did you turn off any extensions or control panels in OS 9 in the Extension manager? It could be you turned off an important file.

You can not turn off General Controls, Startup Disk, Apple Guide, Carbon Lib, Classic Rave, Open Transport, Open Transport ASLM Modules or loose in the System folder the Classic Support, Classic Support UI and Proxy App.

Hey Cheryl,

as you suggested, I removed OS 9 from the external drive and put it directly onto the same drive as OS X. I did a clean install, removing absolutely nothing from the installation. After it was done, I restarted into OS X and tried it out. As before, the Resource Update Error came up.

Obviously, this doesn't mean you didn't try to help. I appreciate the assistance. However, I can't understand why Apple did not release any information about Resource Update Error. The first step to fixing an error is acknowledging it exists and help.apple.com has nothing about this particular error.

If anybody fixes the Resource Update Error, please let me know. I have three programs I can't get rid of it that work solely in Classic and I have no interest in buying new versions.

Andre

Oh I just wanted to add that being told to reinstall after an update is absolutely intolerable and unacceptable. I chose the Mac to PREVENT having to reinstall all the time. If Mac OS X requires constant reinstalls like Windows, I might as well just go back.

Lara,

Did you run Disk Utility? It's in the Utility panel in OS X. See what that tells you.

Thank you Cheryl and Cellfish for your reply,
OS9 is running on the same disk as OSX (and I've actually never done any partition as well on my g4 even though I read on many occasions that it was suggested to be done, but it has never created me any troubles-well, I hope it's not this the reason why of the Resourse Error!).
I run the disk utility, the one fron the OSX disk, but it didn't help.
The update for system 9.2.2 I have doesn't have the option for Clean Install (weird, but true) so I thought later on today I will try with the disk of system 9.1 first, even though I don't think I can reinstall an older version of the system.

I'm rushing out now for the silly Xmas shopping which I quite hate but it needs to be done for making other people happy. If I won't post any other message before Xmas I just want to wish everyone here who has been very friendly MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! :* :)

Lara

As I recall there is a trick to installing OS 9 after OS X is already there.
After the install of OS 9, you should restart to OS 9. Check the control panels, to make sure memory is correct and energy saver is off, etc. Then go to the Startup disk and select OS X. Now restart and give it a try.

Here i am again, back to the same problem: I re-installed system 9.0 with a clean install and all the following updates till 9.2.2, than started it and restarted again in X.2.
Classic still doesn't start, it comes up again the same error message :((
Could it be there is some pref in the users of OSX that doesn't make it work? I cannot recognize anything related to Classic/OS9.... with the old systems it was so much easier to recognize and fix prefs and things generally speaking...any more suggestion?
Thank you
Lara

How are you starting classic?
When booted in OS 9, did you check the Memory Control Panel to make sure you have virtual memory on and Ram disk off?

hi Cheryl,
yes, the setting is as you mentioned (starting up OS9 from control panels, Virtual memory is on and RAM Disk off)
Lara

Did you check for any firmware updates?

Did you trash all your previous system folders?

One thing to try. Re-install OS X. If you have the original OS X (not Jaguar) install that, then try classic.

I have the same problem! I updated from 10.1.5 to 10.2.3 yesterday, now Classic won't llaunch (same error). Never had any trouble before. I can boot into 9.2.2 just fine, have checked Software Update and have re-run the 9.2.2 installer, all to no avail. I tried moving the 'Classic ...' files from the System Folder. Same error.

I just looked in the console. Does this mean anything to anyone?

Dec 31 18:48:26 John-Kershaws-Computer Classic[578]: AUTOUPDATE ERROR: type and/or creator resource missing for /System/Library/CoreServices/Classic Startup.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/SystemFiles/Classic

Possibly unrelated, but I'm also getting twenty copies of this:

Stream closed
: Undefined error: 0'

entered into the console log once per second!

I checked the Apple Knowledge base and found these:
1. Open System Preferences.
2. Click Startup Disk.
3. Select your Mac OS 9 System Folder in the Startup Disk pane.
4. Choose Show All from the View menu.
5. Click Classic.
6. Select your Classic startup volume (the one that contains your Mac OS 9 System Folder).
7. Click Start. Classic should now start up as expected.
8. Choose Show All from the View menu.
9. Click Startup Disk.
10. Select your Mac OS X System Folder in the Startup Disk window.
11. Close the System Preferences window.

OR it could possibly be that your hard drive is almost maxed out.

Check the amount of free space available on the disk that contains the Mac OS 9 System Folder. If there is no (or very little) free space, copy or delete files from that disk to create more free space.

Note: Because of differences in the way that Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X use disk space, Mac OS 9 may report that there is space available on the disk when Mac OS X reports that it is full. You will need to ensure that Mac OS X reports free space in order to start the Classic environment.

Ooh - that sounded so promising!

But it didn't work despite following the instructions to the letter :(

Is it possible to set the type/creator of that file to a valid value? Can anyone tell me what there's is set to?

Back