Clock/time??

JazzAzz

Registered
How do I always display the time up above on whatever you call that BAR, right hand corner. Chrome is my GO TO Browser, and it seems to disappear when using, on Chrome????

TIA for any info. Will check back later, as I am going OFFLINE now>>>Bye y'all

Doesn't happen for me. The clock is always at the top right corner of the screen. You can call it the top bar, or menu bar. Any mac user will know what you are talking about.
However, if you make Chrome (or ANY app) go full screen, then the menu bar is covered, including all system menus, and the clock as well. You would mouse along the top of the screen to drop down the menubar. But it only stays as long as you are moving the cursor near the top.
As the clock is NOT part of the window display for Chrome, the "fix" or work-around to have the clock display, is to have the menu bar displayed all the time. Which means you can't use Chrome in Full Screen mode. Choose the view menu in Chrome, and click "Exit Full Screen". The browser will go back to a "normal" screen window. If you like the screen area filled with browser, then just extend the size to the full area of the screen manually. Chrome should remember that window size.

Another possibility, with Chrome... Maybe there is a Chrome add-on that will display the system time within the Chrome browser window, maybe something at Google's store. Personally, I don't care to download apps or add-ons for Google, so that "solution" would be up to you, if there is one.

But, then you can have your Mac's clock announce the time, once an hour, or every 15 minutes, your choice. I don't know if that would be satisfactory for you, but its an option to allow you to know the time periodically.

Last edited:
Doesn't happen for me. The clock is always at the top right corner of the screen. You can call it the top bar, or menu bar. Any mac user will know what you are talking about.
However, if you make Chrome (or ANY app) go full screen, then the menu bar is covered, including all system menus, and the clock as well. You would mouse along the top of the screen to drop down the menubar. But it only stays as long as you are moving the cursor near the top.
As the clock is NOT part of the window display for Chrome, the "fix" or work-around to have the clock display, is to have the menu bar displayed all the time. Which means you can't use Chrome in Full Screen mode. Choose the view menu in Chrome, and click "Exit Full Screen". The browser will go back to a "normal" screen window. If you like the screen area filled with browser, then just extend the size to the full area of the screen manually. Chrome should remember that window size.

Another possibility, with Chrome... Maybe there is a Chrome add-on that will display the system time within the Chrome browser window, maybe something at Google's store. Personally, I don't care to download apps or add-ons for Google, so that "solution" would be up to you, if there is one.

But, then you can have your Mac's clock announce the time, once an hour, or every 15 minutes, your choice. I don't know if that would be satisfactory for you, but its an option to allow you to know the time periodically.

Well just got done with dinner, and Mr. OCD is back here on my Chromebook time>>LOL. Nope not what you said though. I do expand my Chrome window, but I never cover that Menu bar, it is always there. Not sure you could cover it, will try later. But if I minimize chrome (Yellow button) making it go below right corner) the clock will appear. Open Chrome back up, the clock is GONE, but the menu bar, like I said is still visible. Could be a Chrome setting also, but don't think so.

So, when the clock disappears, you can STILL see the Apple menu, Chrome, File, Edit, View, History, People, Window, and Help menus? Plus, whatever icons appear on the right edge of your toolbar?
And, ONLY the clock is missing?
And, it re-appears when you Quit Chrome?

Launch Chrome.
Now, from the View menu, part way down, underneath Reload This Page, Do you see Enter Full Screen, or Exit Full Screen (which do you see?)
If you Enter Full Screen, you WILL see the menubar completely disappear (it's really full-screen), then Exit Full Screen to return to a more normal window.

If you go to Chrome Preferences, then Show Advanced Settings, at the very bottom, there is a choice to "Reset Settings" to their original Defaults. You COULD try that if you like.

So, when the clock disappears, you can STILL see the Apple menu, Chrome, File, Edit, View, History, People, Window, and Help menus? Plus, whatever icons appear on the right edge of your toolbar?

Launch Chrome.
Now, from the View menu, part way down, underneath Reload This Page, Do you see Enter Full Screen, or Exit Full Screen (which do you see?)
If you Enter Full Screen, you WILL see the menubar completely disappear (it's really full-screen), then Exit Full Screen to return to a more normal window.

If you go to Chrome Preferences, then Show Advanced Settings, at the very bottom, there is a choice to "Reset Settings" to their original Defaults. You COULD try that if you like.

"So, when the clock disappears, you can STILL see the Apple menu, Chrome, File, Edit, View, History, People, Window, and Help menus?"

Yup, that is that happens. As to checking the rest will be on MAC just before going to bed hrs. from now>>>Thanks

I certainly hope you are not confusing Chromebook and Mac support here. They ARE different animals, and you cannot get Chromebook support here.

Yep. I've been helping JazzAzz recently. He has a new Mac, and has been discovering more about the "Mac way".
He uses a Chromebook, too. Depends on when, and where he happens to be at the moment.

@SGilbert - have any ideas about this issue, where the clock (only) vanishes from the menubar when opening Chrome (or any other app)?
I thought OP had Chrome set for full screen, but the entire menubar would disappear, not just clock.... I'm kinda stumped.

I certainly hope you are not confusing Chromebook and Mac support here. They ARE different animals, and you cannot get Chromebook support here.

Not at all, SGilbert. I just happened to be on my CB at that time. It is a horse of a different color. I really like it because it is stupid proof, kind of like the very first internet device I ever used back in July 99, my then Webtv. Us WEBTVers back then loved them, but then MicroCrap bought it, we believe, purposely ruining it, since they could sell software & such. But that was a different day, a different time :)

Yep. I've been helping JazzAzz recently. He has a new Mac, and has been discovering more about the "Mac way".
He uses a Chromebook, too. Depends on when, and where he happens to be at the moment.

@SGilbert - have any ideas about this issue, where the clock (only) vanishes from the menubar when opening Chrome (or any other app)?
I thought OP had Chrome set for full screen, but the entire menubar would disappear, not just clock.... I'm kinda stumped.

Launch Chrome.

You're

Launch Chrome.

You're stumped??? I'm Steve>>LOL. Up on my Go To Browser Chrome, and the Menu Bar is perfectly clear up there, uncovered. Not even being touched my Chrome, yet no clock. Now if I place something else up there, like clicking on, "Find," the clock is there. But bring Chrome back up there, NO CLOCK :).

Weird Huh???

Well soon off to bed, for another OLD GUYS good night sleep, I hope. Night y'all.

Delta, the Full/Exit Screen. All worked as expected, on FULL menu bar is gone. Exit Full it is back, but no clock :)

Well just for grins, before logging out for the night, already closed Chrome, I brought up Safari. Same thing, no clock with Safari up in the menu bar, maybe just when using a BROWSER???!!!

Now I am OUTTA HERE>>>Night all.

I lied>>LOL>>>still here. Just for grins, go from left to right, down in your dock, clicking on each one, and see which one will show the clock up in the Menu Bar and which don't :).

Now bed time FOR SURE :)

What is your display resolution setting?
System Preferences/Displays
If you have Scaled selected, what value, such as 1280 x 720?
If Scaled - just for fun, set to "Default for display", THEN open your Chrome browser. Do you have a clock now?

Do you have the clock set to display more than the time?
For example, mine is set to show AM/PM, and day of week (no date), that's all.

I prefer mine to be scaled, "800 X 600," I think it is (On My CB at this moment). It looks better on my Wide Screen Acer (Non Apple Monitor) and I also have it opt'd for Date also, but makes no difference either way.

Well Breakfast than workout time. Have a great day>>>>Bye

Problem solved, SORT OF>>LOL.

When you look at the Clock Settings I shared I had it on DIGITAL. Switching to ANALOG, now I have the clock, but only using DIGITAL can I see both the DATE/Time.

Choices Choices>>LOL>

Well too nice outside to stay cooped up on this machine, so OFFLINE time>>>Bye Y'all

If the resolution is set too low (I use "low" to mean 800 x 600) then the screen elements, such as the menubar icons, are also bigger. Your menubar may be automatically moving something off simply because the system can't display it properly.
There's just no space on your menubar, notice in your screen shot that you are showing only 5 menu items in the menubar.
There is almost no space in the menubar now, in your screenshot.
When you launch Chrome, that adds at least 4 menu icons. There's not enough space, so the system decides that something has to be removed. The menubar item that takes up the most space for you is - the clock.
So, the system finds the space for the menubar by pruning an item or two. Clock goes away, until you go back to Finder, or some other app that has fewer menus.

Turn off the date, and the clock (probably) will stay on screen.
Do you use SIRI? If not, turn Siri's icon off
Do you really need the eject icon in the menubar? move that off the menubar (there's probably an eject key of your keyboard. If not, then the f12 key almost always works as an eject key.)
Do you really need the audio volume control in the menubar? turn that one off, too. (you still have a sound level icon that appears on the screen at the time that you make volume changes from your keyboard)
I'm not really trying to tell you what to do. Just showing that you could easily do three or four different changes to make more space on your menubar.

BTW - you would likely fix all of that in one step. Use a step or two higher resolution for your display :D
You may be "visually challenged", and I respect that, so I understand that you might not want ANYTHING on your screen to be smaller... and higher resolution immediately makes menu items, and other screen elements smaller.

By the way I see like a HAWK>>LOL>>Have the Nose of one also, just like Ringo, also playing the drums>>LOL

You see, I have a 20" wide screen monitor, and do not sit up in front of it. I got spoiled with Webtv, and never wanting to be stuck on a PC, back on a computer desk in a bedroom. But my computers have always been out here in the family room (Except for the Chromebook), and I am sitting back several feet on the couch, with a wireless (USB) KB/mouse Webtv style :)

Back