Close safari?

Cow Loon

Registered
The user guide says that you can close an application by clicking the home icon (they then have a square following that, in line with the text). There is an icon in the safari toolbar that looks like overlapping squares, but it does not close safari. What must I do?

Safari definitely has a memory leak. I frequently defer reading links while surfing via Digg and Slashdot etc, and it’s not unusual for me to have 50 or 60 Web pages on my menu. If I don’t catch up soon enough, the spinning pizza of death takes over and doing anything at all in Safari, even just bringing a different window to the front, begins to take 20, 30, or 60 seconds to complete. At that point it is a race against time to see if I can actually read everything before Safari crashes. (This is on an iBook G4 with 640 MB of physical memory.)

I have submitted error reports to Apple, but nothing seems to get fixed.

Posting your iBook G4 problem to an iPad support thread won't be very productive, either.

Upgrade your RAM. You can swap out the one memory chip for 1GB. That will make a big difference, regardless of what else you do.

...and it’s not unusual for me to have 50 or 60 Web pages on my menu...
Not quite sure what "on my menu" means, but if it means "open in tabs and/or windows" then you have an astronomically large amount of web pages open at a single time. Close some of them (50% or more, ideally), and I'll bet you'll see far less crashes.

Or, switch to Firefox and see if it can handle 50 or 60 simultaneous web pages.

True that. 640MB is just enough for the system and an app or two to be running smoothly.

There are other, alternative ways to save web pages for later viewing other than having to keep them open and active in their own tabs/windows.

Cow Loon, the "Home button" that closes apps (including Safari), is called that because it takes you back to the Home screen with the app icons. As you discovered, it is a physical button.

It has a secondary function: it will wake up a sleeping iPad.

The "button" on the Safari toolbar allows you to open additional web pages.

Bot

Mac support much better then Safari. According to me I like to use Mac because it's technical supports user-friendly updates are available, second there is alternative pages to save, etc. Mac is very useful then Safari.

Back