closing the lid causes issues with external monitors

aristosv

Registered
I have a Dell D6000 Universal Docking station and I connected it to my MacBook Pro 13’ 2020 (Four Thunderbolt 3 ports). I connected a monitor on the:

HDMI port: 1920x1080
DisplayPort: 1280x1024

I downloaded the latest Catalina DisplayLink drivers, the desktop is extended and everything is working just fine. The problem starts when I close the lid of the laptop. I prefer using only the external monitors, so I need it closed.

As soon as I close the lid, the 2 external monitors star behaving very strange. Every couple of minutes they lose their signal, and it takes them a couple of minutes to get it back. Also, I can see that the laptop monitor is still shown in the display’s arrangement, even though the lid is closed.

1.png

Of course, this is a problem because I can’t work when my monitors lose their signal every 2 minutes.

I know this is not an issue with the Dell D6000, or the external monitors, or their signal cables, or a DisplayLink driver, because when the lid is open, everything is working just fine.

This has to be a Catalina setting somewhere affecting the way the laptop behaves with its lid closed.

Any idea what could the issue be?
Thanks

Sense you you have CAT then go into System Preference->Security Pane and make sure you give permission to run!

I have a Dell D6000 Universal Docking station and I connected it to my MacBook Pro 13’ 2020 (Four Thunderbolt 3 ports). I connected a monitor on the:

HDMI port: 1920x1080
DisplayPort: 1280x1024

I downloaded the latest Catalina DisplayLink drivers, the desktop is extended and everything is working just fine. The problem starts when I close the lid of the laptop. I prefer using only the external monitors, so I need it closed.

As soon as I close the lid, the 2 external monitors star behaving very strange. Every couple of minutes they lose their signal, and it takes them a couple of minutes to get it back. Also, I can see that the laptop monitor is still shown in the display’s arrangement, even though the lid is closed.

View attachment 9555

Of course, this is a problem because I can’t work when my monitors lose their signal every 2 minutes.

I know this is not an issue with the Dell D6000, or the external monitors, or their signal cables, or a DisplayLink driver, because when the lid is open, everything is working just fine.

This has to be a Catalina setting somewhere affecting the way the laptop behaves with its lid closed.

Any idea what could the issue be?
Thanks

Question: Are you able to do this with the laptop unplugged from power? We just discovered our 2019 MBP is bulging and would be $400+ to repair because we used it primarily as a hard drive plugged in all the time.

Back