Codename for the successor of 'Panther'?

It is Tiger. This is an image with a beautiful cat and a very important man. I have already posted the image, but I see people here don't know what's going on.
Hear You Soon!

Attachments

• Nooit om stunt verlegen.jpg
    Nooit om stunt verlegen.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 15
How about 'Imran Kahn' ("Like a tiger...").

Man, nobody's going to get that joke. Its an Australian/The Late Show thing...

I'm still for 'neko'. ;-)

But really: I wish Apple would just put codenames back where they belong - to the development stage. It kinda takes the fun out of codenames if they appear on the cover of the actual product. And really: Panther doesn't look, smell, act or feel like a cat. I've always been one to make fun out of Microsoft's everchanging version numbering scheme, but lately, I'm thinking that Apple, too, is suffering from 'marketing-hype'-illness.

Apple: Let's head on by going back. We don't even need the 'X' any more. Let's call the next version Mac OS 10.4. Or even better, let's go back further: System 10.4. ;-)

eric halfabee said:
Fastest cheetah, puma, jaguar (I would have thought a jaguar was faster than a puma ?? )...to the slowest lazy lion??

I'm starting to get confused by the meaning of the these names... :D
I'd assumed that 'panther' refered to a black leopard, because that's what it means in British English (and many other languages). However now I have learnt that in the US it is also a synonym for 'puma', which in turn is also called a cougar.

Like I said: Nothing to do with the actual product. *sigh* ... And even _if_ the characteristics of the cats had to do with the OS releases... I dunno... Let's get rid of it. From now on, I won't call 10.3 Panther anymore. I'll call it 10.3. (Btw.: On a Y2K bug affected system, the year 2003 can come out as 103.) :p

System and 10 are generic, and so long as their use is not intentionally misleading there's no problem. Somebody had OS9 trademarked. So unless there would actually be confusion about some other operating system that shipped with macintoshes, I don't see an issue.

As for panthers being black, that's generally the reference in the US as well. However a panther is simply a type of cat, not a color. So officially a panther isn't necessarily black, though if you ask any school kid to draw a panther they'll reach straight for the black crayon.

Trademark law has nothing to do with how generic the individual words are. You can trademark the combination of two or more "generic" terms.

The combination of "Stystem 10" is what I was referring to... And as I remember it was a computer operating system, but not from Apple.

(But I can't find it so possibly it is moot or my memory is mush. :))

Back