Colonel Panic, reporting for duty

MDLarson

Registered
So I've got a Mac mini that is giving me kernel panics and is otherwise just giving me the finger.

The attached photo is the latest, but I also witnessed a gray screen on startup accompanied by three beeps and a perpetually blinking (blip-blip-blip, pause, blip-blip-blip, pause…) light on the front of the computer.

I've also seen sort of a cascading kernel panic kind of thing where the screen gets a shade darker with each crash, and the white text on the bottom left of the screen was crabbing about something BSD related.

I did recently install two new EDGE RAM modules, so I have to admit I may have messed something up when I was putting things back together, BUT I'm not sure about this because I had wiped the drive and installed a new OS right after the upgrade.

What does it all mean?

Attachments

• kernel_panic.JPG
    kernel_panic.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
So now it starts up and Disk Utility is telling me that…

Incorrect number of extended attributes
(It should be 158311 instead of 158310)
…
The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

So I guess I will try some more things.

The repeating 3 beeps is NOT a hard drive problem (although you may now have hard drive directory corruption), 3 beeps means that your memory that is NOT passing POST.
Reseat the RAM chips, and then try booting again. If you continue to get the beeps, then replace the RAM chips.
I predict that when you get working memory, then the other issues (the hard drive) will magically start working, too...

So now it starts up and Disk Utility is telling me that…

Incorrect number of extended attributes
(It should be 158311 instead of 158310)
…
The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

So I guess I will try some more things.

I guess you need to invest in something like, IMHO the best Mac hard drive repairer, Disk Warrior. You will not regret the purchase.

I swapped the two 1 GB RAM modules, and tried restarting several times. I also checked the disk with Disk Utility and everything is checking out just fine so far! :)

Thanks for the RAM tip; I hadn't ever seen that symptom before.

Back