Colour iPod (merged thread)

soulseek said:
…i remember u even set up a fake contest, where members would win that 'certain product' after the keynote when it would have been released.
that product never came to life, despite 'confirmed' sources....

however the site got good publicity ! is this somethin of the same ?

LOL!! Yeah, I remember that "contest". I was one of the "winners". I never received my free membership…

I could see a color LCD for displaying album art. Doesn't the new Sony player have that? That would be a "neat" feature.

If it is true, and they do come out, and all the models have color (not just high end) i may have to finally upgrade. But they'll probably just put color on the high end models to sell them faster.

What could you do with a color screen on a music player? Viewing photos or album covers is obvious and neat, but not "useful". So let's put on our thinking caps and figure out how color could really be useful...

1) Playlists can be represented by colors, like iCal calendars
2) Songs could be displayed in various colors depending upon their ratings
3) When viewing all songs by an artist, color could show which songs appear together on the same album
4) Party Shuffle on the iPod
5) The user could assign colors to certain music, like Finder labels
6) The battery indicator can turn red at a low level, like on a Mac
7) Calendar events can display their iCal color

I'm sure there are more ways and that Apple would use color in a positive way.

Chris

Seen as the iPod's are going to have colour screens, it would seem to me to be a natural progression to view your photo's/pictures on there.

You can already download photo's to your iPod so why not view them as well!

This will be exciting....he..he..he!

Chris. :p

C'mon guys, we gotta think outside the box. I can think of some very good reasons to have a color screen on an iPod:

1. Quick review of photos (note that many photographers now use the iPod as a repository for captured images on shoots). Additionally, an iPhoto integration would make this worthwhile. Pretend you're a realtor and you're showing a client some houses. You've got twenty possible options to show, but the client only has time to see five. Pop out your freshly-sync'd iPod and show them the house photos. Sure, this can be done in the office or with paper prints, but the point is that this TYPE of thing can be done and be very useful.

2. Review of video content. An iPod with a video output option and a color screen for reviewing my DV files would be great for client presentations. Imagine being able to go into a client meeting with just an iPod, hook it up to a TV or projector, navigate to a series of TV commercial edits and display them. No muss, no fuss. Way cool and way useful (for me anyway). Yes, technically you wouldn't need a color screen to do that, but it would be helpful for previewing.

3. iTunes-type visuals. Yeah, it's stupid and pointless, but still fun. I admit, I'm not big on gadgetry (I never play the iPod games), but if it's value-added and doesn't cost me anything in performance, money or interface, why not?

4. Color can help with organizational properties of data content. For example, if Address Book would ever add the color labels feature, that would work well on a color iPod.

Others have mentioned similar "useful" features. At some point, Apple almost HAS to go color, just to stay perceptively competitive. One day we will all look back and laugh at these silly old outdated monochrome iPods. Maybe I'll put mine in a place of honor like my old SE.

iBox - exactly what I was thinking. We all know now not to get our hopes up with anything new that involves Apple and starts with "i". Creative imaginations need not apply.

Although it is possible iPods will have color screens, it most likely will not happen this release. Maybe 5G. As said before they really need to work on the battery life. Wireless on the otherhand is a big possibility (although I'm not sure how much battery life that takes). Wireless Firewire was recently created, why not have an application for it?

Maybe there is a new feature on the horizon that will let iTunes download music videos into the iPod?

That would a worthy function for a color screen on an iPod.

Otherwise, if it's the samo-samo interface and purpose, then the screen will be a waste of battery power.

First of all, how is this exclusive? Just about every Mac site has had rumours of a color iPod at sometime. Without any further details, it's one of those guesses trying to pull a rabbit out of the hat. As many as have said, the iBox is a good example.
The thing I find interesting is the number of "new" posters in this thread (or hardly any others). I count gimp, emums, avatarpalin, pimpampet, bruceyoung (1 other thread), epkesdotcom, charlie (1 other thread), reaver, haffordj, serious, macgirl912 and cbonner (1 other thread).
Where are they coming from? What other sites? II haven't seen one other Mac site quote macosx's "exclusive".
Hey, if it's true, then I have to say it's cuz of the bling bling. But it seems kinda interesting that this thread is alive and kicking but little carryover to other threads. :D

If they are adding a color screen they must be planning other uses. As for a radio, I think they should add either XM or Sirius.

macosx.com sent out an email this morning or last night.. so that is why all these newfolk... plus if you look at the views and such we have like 400-600 steady where macosx.com usually only has about 20. guerilla marketing or spam. Then again I think everything is spam unless you are family or friend... heck i would even throw in my worst enemy. I still think itunes/ipod are going to a godsend for universities. Proffesors can now put there lectures on itunes instead of waiting days for the campus bookstore to copy cassettes and them sell them for 5 bucks a pop. Just acc my lecture and then put it on itunes for 99 cents or 1.99 the schools get half the cut and apple has provided a damn good service. I think itunes will become even better so many possibilities from ringtones, to music videos, downloading coupons and barcodes that i can scan at albertson's, movies, AAA triptiks, newspapers, magazines, and more....woooohoooo.

According to my sources, Steve just wake up today and said "What could I do to get more visitors to macosx... I know, I'll just contradict everything I've said so far about the iPod, like 'WE WONT MAKE A COLOR SCREEN IPOD' and tell ScottW that I will!" :rolleyes:

From http://www.macobserver.com/article/2004/04/29.9.shtml

Mike Wendland: Happy anniversary. The iPod has just changed everything. The question now is what's next for us? So how about full color video, color screen? Do you ever see it morphing into anything like an iPhone all purpose device?

Steve Jobs: You know, our next big step is we want it to make toast. I want to brown my bagels when I'm listening to my music. And we're toying, you know, we're toying with refrigeration, too.

Mike Wendland: Not bad. Where is it going? What are you doing? Is it going to stay strictly music or will there be other features that you do?

Steve Jobs: You know, one of the things that I say around Apple, I paraphrase Bill Clinton when he was running long ago when he said, "It's the economy, stupid." I say, "It's the music, stupid." We have to stay focused on the fact that people are buying these devices to listen to music. People love music. They love listening to music as a background activity when they're doing..when they're exercising, when they are commuting and when they are just hanging out, and music is a wonderful thing because: A, it's music; and B, because it can be listened to as a background activity. And a lot of these other things that people are talking about building in such as video and things like that are foreground activities. You can't drive a car when you're watching a movie. You know? It's really hard doing that.

I would love a color screen with the ability to display photos. Anything that can help me use up the last 15GB of unused space of my iPod can't be that bad. Although a color screen would probably take more battery life. hmmm...

A Colour iPod would be great for Marketshare, but for an iPod, other features may be a bit over-the-top.
I predict a PowerPod will be released eventually (when Mini-HDDs get larger capacity). It will feature all the fancy features like AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth and a Touch Screen. Software will include Music Player, Video Player and Full-featured Calendar and Address Book.
Meanwhile, the iPod would still exist with a Colour Screen and Scroll Wheel, Basic Calendar and Address Book Features, Music Player and Photo Viewer.

If someone really wants to use even more advanced features, they will integrate perfectly with a PowerMac, iMac, PowerBook or iBook. This is how Apple will regain thier focus on Macintosh Computers, hopefully encouraging more Windows Users to Switch.

Has anyone ever used a Windows Mobile Device with Windows XP? They Sync and Integrate perfectly, When the first Windows Mobile HDD based Music Player reaches Market, Apple are gonna need a real Show-Pony in the *Pod Lineup.

This is really great to see! like i said in the WDDC Prediction posts yesterday. I'ts all apart of iLife and the "digital hub strategy"

The iPod may be more than what we expect. Not a PDA device but more, somthing out of the office and into our digital lives. i see this may take years to evolve.

why the heck did they send out an email to everyone about just another rumor - its not official, there are tons of rumors here. so what is going on?

i still have my own primary opinion...
just as the iBox... this is a move from the founder of this site, to get some more publicity!!! but at the end of the day every1 looks out for his/her best interest!!!
we have other moderator(s) who promote their own site(s) from time to time in their posts... dont really agree, cant do anythin bout it :)

anyways :) back to the colour iPod...
eventually i do see the iPod with a TFT screen able to view images on it.. not that useful but interesting!!!
but right now, if a good coloured screen is not feasable then id rather they spend money on developin other features... WiFi integration as some1 mentioned would be a really good idea!!!

Back