Compatibility

Deepak44

Registered
I have a MacX.4 OS & CS2 softtware. Please answer the following questions for me. I will be much obliged.

1. If I upgrade to MacX.5 OS, can I still use the CS2 software?
2. How can I clean up the hard drive on my computer. The Mac cleaner requires me to have at least a OSX.5 system.

Do not use the Mac "cleaner." Utilities of this sort do not remove the files that they are expected to remove. They often remove files that they should not remove. The bottomline is that cleaner utilities do more harm than good.

To "clean up" the hard drive on your computer, I'm assuming that you mean that you may be low on disk space (otherwise, there is no good reason to "clean up" the hard drive).

There really aren't too many utilities other than your brain that will help you do this in the most effective manner. You can start by using a utility such as WhatSize or Disk Inventory X to show you what type of files are taking up the most space on your hard drive. You should be looking for files such as music, movies, pictures, or user-created documents (stay out of the /System and /Library folders if you wish to be absolutely safe about cleaning your drive).

Then, you have two options:

1) Delete the music, movies or pictures from your drive.
2) Move or back up the music, movies or pictures to an external drive

Like I said, there really isn't a program that can do this analysis for you -- you are the best source on what files you need to keep and which can go, and therefore, it's much a manual process of going through the files you've got and deciding what to do with them.

Like MisterMe said, do NOT use MacCleaner. In fact, I would recommend against using any kind of program on your Mac that claims to "clean the hard drive" or "optimize your computer." Mac OS X needs absolutely no help whatsoever to remain fully functional and optimized, and using programs to try and "help" it along may prove to be counter-productive. Just be sure you keep enough disk space free, don't go mucking about in the /System folder, and don't install any kind of software that is untrustworthy (and we can help you make that determination).

Also, from various reports I've read on the internet, Adobe CS 2 should work just fine with Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard."

As an answer to your question about using CS2 with OS X 10.5...
If you upgrade to 10.5, it's very likely that your CS2 will stop working. Adobe never provided an update on much of their older software which _was_ working in 10.4. There's lots of info about that here: http://www.adobe.com/support/products/pdfs/leopardsupport.pdf
That Adobe article has a title about CS3, but lots of older Adobe software is noted in that document.

I agree with MisterMe - especially about the heavily-advertised MacKeeper, (seems that you get MacKeeper when you download the title "Mac Cleaner")
Will something happen if you use it? probably (and you likely won't be able to choose if the result is good, or bad)
Will I trust it to work correctly? As a service tech, I haven't had any experience with that software that gives me any confidence in it.
If you do decide that you need some system maintenance, stay with apps that actually have a good history, such as OnyX, or YASU.
Also, MacKeeper (which, BTW, is Intel only) is not free ($40, I think), and I think good results with free software is much better than the great feeling that you get when your file system is trashed by some software where you actually paid real money to do some task that is otherwise free.

Last edited:
Thank you for having taken the trouble of responding to my query. Now please let me explain my problem in detail. I use a MacOSX.4.11 system, having 2 duel core prcessors of 2.66GHS. My computer has slowed down considerably recently. The rotating wheel is displayed for a long time before I reach my desired site.
I had assumed that my hard disc has accumulated a lot of 'junk' and therefore wanted to clean up the disc. Please suggest a remedy for my problem.
Thank you once again.
P.S. I do not think that my disc is loaded anywhere near it's capacity.

Thank you for having taken the trouble of responding to my query. Now please let me explain my problem in detail. I use a MacOSX.4.11 system, having 2 duel core prcessors of 2.66GHS. My computer has slowed down considerably recently. The rotating wheel is displayed for a long time before I reach my desired site.
I had assumed that my hard disc has accumulated a lot of 'junk' and therefore wanted to clean up the disc. Please suggest a remedy for my problem.
Thank you once again.

You should be sure to check how much free space you have on your hard drive. The hard drive does not need to be "near capacity" before space becomes an issue.
How much RAM memory is installed? That can affect both performance, and affect the amount of free space on your hard drive.
When did you last boot to another disk, such as your OS X installer disk, and run Disk Utility on your hard drive to test your hard drive?
Be sure to run Repair Disk, different from Repair Disk Permissions.
If your hard drive tests OK with Disk Utility - and you have at least 10-15% of the total space free, then you may find that removing the various caches in your system will help out. I did mention earlier that OnyX, or YASU will do that very nicely, and either of those are relatively safe to use.

Another task to try is to download the OS X 10.4.11 combined updater, and run that install. It often will "tune" your system, assuming other parts of your system are installed properly. Here's a link for that... http://support.apple.com/kb/DL172.

Back