confess: are you using Safari exclusively?

How often do you use Safari?

• 100% of my browsing

• 75% of my browsing

• 50% of my browsing

• 25% of my browsing

• 0% - I use something else(which you will specify)

• I don't have a Mac.

Results are only viewable after voting.

habilis

Ministry of Re-Education
I don't know about you guys but I still can't bring myself you use Safari exclusively. I use Explorer equally. Unfortunately, explorer is still faster at some operations. For example, I still get occasional truncated jpg's when I attempt to drag and drop them into a directory on my HD. With explorer that doesn't happen. Also, many problems with java on sites where you can order something over a secure connection have resulted in failure with Safari. My biggest gripe about safari is that when you hit a page with a lot of code, safari prefers to download all the code first before displaying anything, with explorer, it displays everything in the browser as it downloads. I like Safari way better then explorer of course, but I also feel that explorer is a bit snappier then Safari. I wish Safari could get a little more snap in its step.

I'm 50-50 between OmniWeb and Safari (depending on what tasks I need to be doing). My wife is 75-25 between Safari and Netscape.

I don't think I've run any Microsoft software on any of my systems in the last few months (at least June as I recall). And even then it was to make sure that a site I was working on displayed correctly. I've gotten lazy though and usually only test with Safari and OmniWeb myself and let my wife test with Netscape. I haven't actually seen anything that displays correctly in those that wouldn't come up correctly in IE.

In my account OmniWeb is my default browser though (including previews from GoLive, ImageReady and LiveMotion). I think my wife has her account set to Netscape. I seem to remember double clicking on something in Watson and Netscape coming up once in her account.

Didn't I read some where around here that sometimes the latest version of IE won't finish rendering a page?

You guys know me... I'm still stuck on OS 9 for the Internet, which means... that's right, ladeez and jentz, Lynx! :D No, I use IE exclusively, though my mom uses NS (yech).

I had a weird browser glitch the other night. One of the pages I loaded had, like, 2 browser pages of white space before even the top blue buttons image. And IE is too f!!!ing slow at rendering pages!!!!!! :mad: Oh well... *sigh*

I only switch for site compatibility, which is rare (my online banking still doesn't work, GRR!)

I use Safari pretty much all the time, except for compatibility testing of my homepage and for online banking (I still have Camino in my Dock for that). I would have voted 99% had it been available ...
When Camino development picks up speed again and a 0.8 build becomes available, I'll give it a honest chance again.

i'd say 70% safari, 25% icab and 5% IE or netscape for those sites that just seem to require it. i'm sure some of them would work with safari, but frankly it's just as easy to keep those special sites all organized under their own browser. i would say that if safari would allow me to download graphics thru the finder window like icab so i can keep my files quickly organized by sites, then it would be my 95% of the time browser. althought icabs entire site download is pretty cool sometimes too.

Serious surfing is done via Camino... I would say close to 90% :D

Safari until the final 10.2.8 or Panther is a no-go! That's because under my 10.2.6 TiBook G4/1GHz setup is SO easy to crash it while in 10.2.8 that Apple pulled back which I have installed in my PowerMac G4/933 it works with no crashes so far! :rolleyes:

OmniWeb is the rest surfing experience while Mozilla, IE, FireBird for testing purposes and/or use with sites that I have compatibilities problems which are almost nowhere to be found for me :D

However, if OmniWeb will get Tabs, I think I will use it instead of Camino!

What about Safari? Hmmmm... Not just yet for me :(

I'm using Safari 100%. I keep trying to switch to OmniWeb, I want to switch to OmniWeb 4.5, but I just can't bring myself to do it. It's still slower than Safari (to boot up anyway) and without tabs, it's a wash.

Here's hoping 5.0 will bring me to switch :D

Safari 75 %. iCab 10 % .. rest Chimera (yes, still february build. I hate the bookmarks of 0.7) and Links (0.96)

Safari about 80%, then IE for script checking, XML checking....

I can't recall the last time i used IE, I know i still open it by mistake since I leave the icon in the dock just in case i need it.

Safari is the fastest IMO, and now that the Flash player sticking cursor is fixed, I really do more initial testing in Safari.

I use safari for everything except real technical stuff, and the real technical stuff is the stuff that is only supported by mozilla right now. The only browsers I even have installed right now are safari (90%), mozilla (5%) and IE (5%). I use IE to test sites and mozilla to view/test stuff that's newer and over safari's head.

I use Safari 100% of the time (it works with my banking site -- Wells Fargo -- just fine) however I am plagued by one outstanding bug ever since Safari went final.

The beta of Safari worked just fine with fonts -- and so does the final, but in a different way. I have my fonts set to Arial 12 and Courier 12, and the Macosx.com site's fonts are now miniscule in size. I have to hit command-+ to get them readable, but other sites, such as macnn.com come out looking just fine -- no enlarging needed. If I jack the fonts up to Arial 13 and Courier 12, Macosx.com looks fine, but then other sites, like macnn.com again, look too big. I guess it's in the coding of the sites, and not Safari's fault, but it didn't do this in pre-release versions of Safari.

This didn't happen in the beta (er, pre-release?) versions. All websites viewed just fine with those font settings (I like 'em small, but not THAT small). Explorer/Netscape/Mozilla display ALL web pages just fine with those same font settings.

Kind of annoying, but nothing that'll keep me from using Safari 100% of the time.

can't bring myself to use safari very much.
I love the functionality of the browser, but the way it interprets the pages' code is dissapointing.

I rely on Camino for almost 100% of my browsing. (I hate IE for Mac)

Safari scrunches the font sizes irregularly. pages I develop/view in safari, look VERY different compared to every other browser (mac or win). has been a problem when I've done things for clients who only use Safari. My work looks great in ALL other browsers, but safari is doing something just different enough for things to not look great.

I know Apple will fix, but until a new release of safari is out, I won't be using too often...
:(

BROWSING
at university: IE 100%
at home: Safari 100%

TESTING PAGES
Safari 47.5%
Mozilla 47.5%
IE 5%

I am trying to get Mozilla installed at my university. They still have NN4.7 here, although they did update MSIE to v6. At home, Safari fits all my needs. It also works with the few secure connections I use: Amazon, Decitre, Eyrolles (all books), etc.

I may have to launch MSIE at home once or twice a month - 99% needed, I agree ;) ;)

D'oh! I voted 100%, just thinking of other mouse-based browsers - forgot all about links, which I use about 10-15%

I really liked iCab's ad blocking, and miss it in Safari. I use privoxy, which is maybe a B+ to iCab's A+ WRT ads, but has some other nice features to make up for it.

Giaguara - have you tried links 2? I just found it on the linux distros at school, it boots buttocks! links with javascript, so annoying javascript redirect hyperlinks work. (what's wrong with plain old href, anyway?)

There's even links-2-hacked - has HTTP auth, tabbed browsing, primitve printing to PDF file, image blocking (links 2 has a graphic mode for X11, vgalib, etc... seems to me to be like that's designing a fish that rides a bike, then image blocking is just adding all sorts of advanced cycling abilities to fish v2, but whatever)

Whoa, if anyone read my last post about Safari displaying fonts too damn small, well, I've got some good news...

i just installed the revised 10.2.8 update, and now the fonts that were previously too small are now correctly anti-aliased and display beautifully! No more hitting command - + every time I come here! SWEET!

Oh, and just to keep on topic -- still using Safari 100%... ;)

90% Safari, Mzilla 1.4 for 10%, and OmniWeb/Xplorer/Firebird... for the rest.

Back