Congrats to RacerX

Mrs. X thinks this is just some kinda boy's club. There are times where I have to drag her to the computer to see some of your guy's great posts (though I think I'll pass on bring this stuff up).

Maybe when Ed's girlfriend post I'll be able to get her to type a couple lines for us ( :rolleyes: then again, most like not).

I went to the pizza place to get some food for tonite, and I saw this girl in uniform, she was drop-dead gorgeous ;) (and EMT too lol... she would know how to fix up almost anyone till the doc arrived lol)

Thanks for the mint, really helped for my german class ;)

What is a graduate in informatics worth if you don't get promotion from your employer? Then you can wait another time.

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
I went to the pizza place to get some food for tonite, and I saw this girl in uniform, she was drop-dead gorgeous ;) (and EMT too lol... she would know how to fix up almost anyone till the doc arrived lol)

EMT?

-the valrus

Emergency Medical Technician :p (Us americans have the stupidest names (and usually politically correct ones:p) for teh simplest of jobs to describe lol). Basically she is like a first aid person in an ambulence...maybe a nurse too, depending on some of the people's crudentials

So after seeing Attack of the Clones a few times, I couldn't shake the feel that some of the parts with Obi-Wan Kenobi felt very much like an old Phillip Marlow story.

Did anyone else get this impression?

I saw it twice on the opening day (it is a tradition for me, I saw Empire on the opening day, and Jedi and Phantom twice on opening day).

Phillip Marlowe was a PI set in the 30's and 40's (and played by Humphrey Bogart in at least one movie), and had a ton of connection which he could call on to help him solve the mystery at hand. (I'll rewrite the scene from Clones that seems like it was pulled right out of the pages of a Marlowe story and post it).

Here is a scene from Attack of the Clones with the names and places changed to protect the innocent (and not give away any of the actual story). :D

Scene 045: Interior Los Angeles,
DEX’S DINNER-MORNING

A WAITRESS is carrying plates of half-eaten food. There is a counter with stools and a line of booths along the wall by the window. A number of CUSTOMER are eating-TOUGH-LOOKING WORKERS, TRUCK DRIVERS, ETC. The WAITRESS looks up as MARLOWE comes in.

Waitress: Can I help ya?

Marlowe: I’m looking for Dexter.

The WAITRESS approaches MARLOWE.

Waitress: Waddya want him for?

Marlowe: He’s not in trouble. It’s personal.

There is A brief pause, then the WAITRESS goes to the open serving hatch behind the counter.

Waitress: Someone to see ya, honey. (lowering her voice) A Cop, by the looks of him.

Steam billows out from the kitchen hatch behind the counter as a huge head pokes through.

Dexter: Marlowe!

Marlowe: Hey, Dex,

Dexter: Take a seat! Be right with ya!

MARLOWE sits in a booth.

Waitress: You want a cup of coffee?

Marlowe: Oh yes, thank you.

The WAITRESS moves off as the door to the counter opens and DEXTER appears. He is big-bald and sweaty, old guy. Not someone to tangle with. He arrives, beaming hugely and give Marlowe a bear hug!

Dexter: Hey, ol' buddy!

Marlowe: Hey, Dex.

DEXTER eases himself into the seat opposite MARLOWE. He can just make it.

Dexter: So, my friend. What can I do for ya?

Marlowe: You can tell me what this is.

MARLOWE places the dart on the table between them. DEX’s eyes widen. He puts down his mug.

Dexter: (softy) Well, waddya know...

DEXTER picks up the dart delicately between his puffy fingers and peers at it.

Dexter: I ain’t seen one of these since I was prospecting way down south!

Marlowe: Can you tell where it came from?

DEXTER grins. He puts the dart down between them.

Dexter: This baby belongs to them Brazilians. What you got
here is a saberdart from the Amazon.

Marlowe: These Brazilians you’re talkin’ about, are they friendly?

Dexter: It depends.

Marlowe: Oh what, Dex?

DEXTER grins.

Dexter: On how good your manners are... and how big your pocketbook is...

And on and on (you get the picture).

*Ed looks up from behind his desk. Staring him in the eye is a blonde. a long, lean, eyes of trouble blonde. He just knows this day is starting off wrong despite what any other man would have thought in his situation."

"What's up doll?" he says, just like so many times before.

"aw, Eddie, you know i wouldn't be here if i didn't need your help," she almost whispers in a low sultry voice that he knew meant his life was getting ready to change for the worse.

"who is is this time?" he asked, knowing that with this dame it was gonna be somebody important, somebody with money and somebody he wasn't going to like for forcing her back into her life.

"oh, Eddie, you know it's always been you" she says, batting those big fake lashes like fans in church on sunday.

"no doll, who's the sucker you need straight with this time?

she stares at the floor for a moment and then raises her eyes with a pout. "he's nobody really, just a guy i was seeing.....he thinks i took his diamond watch. but it wasn't me. honest. still, he thinks i have it. but i know where it is. I just need you to get it back for me"

Ed reaches up and tugs on the brim of his hat and then slowly pulls out a cigarette and lights it. he knows this infuriates her. "and what's in it for me?"

"me" she says.

he slowly puffs on the cig while memories of the last time she nearly got him killed remind him of previous such promises. "you'll have to do better than that babe."

Edward Marlowe, Phillip's little known brother, was getting ready to waltz with the mistress of chaos, whether he knew it or not. whether he liked it or not. the cards had already been played and he wasn't even holding a pair. The queen of diamonds was all it took to make him forget all his rules. But that didn't mean he had to do it for nothing.:D

Tolya - Marlow was sorta the model for Mike Hammer if you are familiar with him. great storybook/movie detectives who were hardboiled and always falling for the wrong girl.:p

I didn't remember how much I loved the old style detective movies until I finished reading your post, Ed. Maybe I should have added a section on that subject for my favorite movies in Ulrik's thread.

Detective Movies:
  • Chinatown
  • The Two Jakes
  • Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

So Ed, that sounded like you were writing from experience. Do you like that type of film noir?

other than thinking that Chinatown was very boring, i do really like that genre of movie. I also love those old detective books - i used to devour the Mike Hammer series. I have always loved the whole detective/private eye thing. I have always had this seccret fantasy to be one. but my reality says i don't want to be the one in that much danger. I think the part i really like is the puzzle solving aspect. So of course i find some of that in computer troubleshooting. And i find even more of it when conducting therapy with a client. In many ways i must be a detective and help uncover the real culprit at the heart of their problems. If it were obvious, what would they need help for?:D

The last book i read for pleasure was Jimmy Buffett's "Where is Joe Merchant" which was kind of a cross between those old detective books and his caribbean rock and roll fantasies. I would reccomend it for good escape material:p

I just finished reading Minority Report yesterday, which looks like (from the previews) the film is going to be closer to the story than the last Philip K. Dick story that was made into a movie (We can Remember for You Wholesale was the basis for Total Recall).

And I just finished watching Singin’ in the Rain (fun movie, hadn’t seen it in a couple years). I think I’ll switch gears and throw in The Caine Mutiny to round out the evening.

So Ed, what types of movies do you like. Any recomendations?

well, i like just about anything but 'chick flicks':D

you could probably get me to sit down and watch Blade Runner or Altered States at any time. I loved Total Recall. The 'Hellraiser' series was great. What was the one with Robin Williams and Cuba Gooding, Jr. where they are dead? the name escapes me right now, but it was good. action adventure is mostly what me and the old lady agree upon these days. (she doesn't like scifi or horror)

as far as old films go, i still laugh thru the "Dr. Phibes" movies with Vincent Price no matter how many times i see them. The old musicals are great when i happen to run across one, but i would never set out looking for one. I am sure i will start having more movies to talk about now that the TV seasons are over. reruns mean more HBO and Starz time:p

I loved Altered States! I have the soundtrack but I haven't added the movie to my collection.

Someone in another thread said that I was favored Macs through and through, it was too funny! Now if he had said I have a bias against PCs running Windows, then I would have had no argument.

well, maybe the thru and thru part is a bit exaggerated but i would say you pretty much come off as a mac advocate:D

i mean, i can have purple as my favorite color, but still like blue, green, brown and yellow while being biased against red for clothes and furniture while still liking red plants, right?;) But i'm still a purple lover for almost everything.:cool:

Another group of movies i like, but don't get to see very often, are martial arts flicks. Jackie Chan, Bruce lee, chuck Norris, etc. At least she will watch Steven Segal movies with me. (she is a ****er for a man with a ponytail:D )

mentioned in passing by Ed
(she is a ****er for a man with a ponytail:D )

I think we could have guessed that one.

So what did you think of the Matrix? It sorta fulls into that area.

I loved the Matrix. It was one of the few i have seen on the big screen. my son and i went to the dollar theater on one of my visits back to Ohio. I keep wanting to watch it again on Tv but it has never been showing at a convenient time before when i was thinking about it. she refuses to watch it as well.

I think i need to start taking advantage of taping movies i want to see. they always seem to be on when i am busy (or else i miss the beginning) and nothing good is ever on when i want to watch something. I really should take advantage of the technology. Of course i have 2 dvd movies that i have owned for nearly a year and still haven't taken the time to slide in my mac and watch. go figure.:D

I am looking forward to the 2 matrix sequels :D
They should be nice, but probably not as spectacular or as long awaited as the original since they are being released side by side, one in july and the other in august. pitty :rolleyes:

Back