Core2Duo does not = 64 bit Snow Leopard

Okay, this is what I understand. The Core 2 Duo "can" run 64 bit apps in Snow Leopard but you have to hold down the 6 and 4 key during boot-up. I hope someone will come up with an app to avoid this...

You don't have to be in 64-bit (kernel) mode to run 64-bit apps. Even Leopard can run both 32-bit and 64-bit apps.

This is true: your MacBook will boot a 32-bit kernel, but be able to run 64-bit applications.

Can you expand on what, exactly, you need a 64-bit kernel for?

It's my understanding that MacBooks, regardless of processor, will not load 64-bit kernel.
A core2Duo MacBook Pro should be good for 64-bit kernel.
Unless you have more than 4GB of RAM memory installed, that would seem pointless.

Per default, *NO* consumer/prosumer machine will boot to 64-bit kernel. Even the newest Mac Pro won't. Only Xserve defaults to the 64-bit kernel. It can be enabled on some later machines (later 15"/17" MacBook Pro and iMac machines as well as any but the first Mac Pro, but not MacBooks and not the MacBook Pro 13"). The important thing to keep in mind, though, is that running the 64-bit kernel on a consumer machine is like adding a foxtail to your car's radio antenna. You'll probably have more benefit in using a desktop picture that says "64-bit". :p

Back