Corrupt (locked) preference

I am confused by this thread. Running Preferential Treatment I get the same exact error message about the same file "/cov.apple.systemloginitems.plist". AppleJack also say the file is corrupt and says it will remove the file to /Library/preferences (corrupt) folder, but then says the file could not be moved. The (corrupt) folder is created but no file is in it.

I am also using Leopard.

I got rid of the file by doing a clean install of Leopard. Following on from Satcomer, it seems that some software programme introduces it (Applejack itself?).

I forgot to mention the file is locked. I see no text in it when I open the file, it is blank.

Since you say some software installs it, what is the point of doing a clean install to remove it if it only comes back?

Last edited:
I forgot to mention the file is locked. I see no text in it when I open the file, it is blank.

Since you say some software installs it, what is the point of doing a clean install to remove it if it only comes back?
One option would be to do a clean install and then reinstall your software programmes one by one, each time checking to see if the corrupt preference has returned. Yes a pain in the butt, but may (possibly?) reveal the offending software programme.

BTW, I am not suggesting AppleJack would install it, it was just a thought.

I am still confused. Is having this file a problem or just of no importance? The file is locked and it is empty when I open it. I have read in some places that some people deliberately create this file and lock it to prevent something bad from happening. I suppose it is possible I did it a long time ago, and just do not recall. It is not the existence of the file that concerns me as much as the fact that AppleJack and Preferential Treatment say it is a damaged file.

I am considering unlocking the file and then deleting it. Is that an option?

Yes that is an option. Another is to simply to go to the finder menu item "Secure Empty Trash" and it should delete the file. Good Luck.

Back