Dang it! Dell vs. Apple

Everything is manufactured by 3rd parties. hp doesn't make their printers. Dell doesn't make their computers or monitors. Neither does Apple. Neither does Gateway. If that's a surprise to anyone, well... sorry!

I would choose the Apple display if I could afford it, but go for the Dell if I couldn't. I doubt you'd regret that decision. I've got a cheap 15" LCD from Dell that's pretty damn good. No dead pixels, no color-shifting, nada, but of course the chances of those happening on a smaller screen like a 15" are lower than they would on a larger display.

I think that even if they all use the same components, there could still be differences. Everyone knows that not all components are of the same quality even if they are from the same manufacturer. For example, all processors are manufactured on the same assembly line and they all display different performance characteristics. Some can be clocked high and are sold at a higher price point. Those chips that can't be clocked as high are sold as lower clocked chips. All the CPU manufacturers do this.

Perhaps the same applies with the other components (e.g. LCDs) in a computer. Sure, they all come from the same factory, but that doesn't mean that they're of the same quality. Apple could well be paying Samsung a premium so that they ship the better components to them.

nice. if you decided to buy the dell, maybe you could peel of their logo or something. it makes my heart cry to think about a macintosh guy with a big dell-logotype on his desk.

I have an amiga boing sticker onto of my Dell logo ;)
(the Sceptre one still say sceptre - I like that logo :D )

Decado said:
nice. if you decided to buy the dell, maybe you could peel of their logo or something. it makes my heart cry to think about a macintosh guy with a big dell-logotype on his desk.
lol, yeah, I was thinking of doing something like that. My avatar was once a DELL logo with a U instead of the E... that would be kinda funny. :D I have access to a label printer (think bumper stickers) at work and could probably pull off a good looking spoof logo.

Update to my story…
Somebody at work wants to buy my current monitor - a 19" Samsung SyncMaster 900p. I think now is the time to buy. And lucky me! Apple dropped their price by $300 and Dell only dropped it by $50, so my decision has been made easier.

With eBay prices on the Apple monitor hovering awfully close to $1000, it's looking like a trip to the Apple Store... I just have to make sure we can afford it and the wife approves (should be easier since she got the 20" iMac G5 for Christmas...) ;)

They all share the same LCD (as do TV sets) but they have different electronics.

Yeah, I'm really looking for a DVI connector. Otherwise, I'd probably go the route of the "old" Cinema Displays - I've always liked the look of them.

chevy; so what you're saying is that the new apple displays only have new design and "new" electronics to them? performance wise, are the old and new displays pretty much the same???

alex.

I'd say go with a 20.1" Viewsonic VP201B - $729.99, but from what I saw in the other posts you want a wider aspect than 1600 x 1200. Specs-wise the ViewSonic has a very slighly edge the new Apple 20" display (6deg on angle, .005 on pitch, same contrast & response time & brightness). It doesn't have the FW/USB ports though.

mdnky, that looks like a pretty nice monitor. Looks like it's getting pretty hot reviews too. And honestly, the ports on the Apple monitor are relatively hard to get to and I'm not sure I'd use them all that much. I'm contemplating quitting my job at the moment so making a decision either way probably won't happen immediately. My wife has given me permission to get the Apple monitor when I get a new job though... I'll post back when something happens! :)

Anybody know of any FileMaker / Website / Graphic Design-ish jobs in the Minneapolis (close to Maple Grove) area? :D I'm looking.

While the LCD discussion is entertaining, MDLarson cracks me up for airing his thoughts about quitting on a relatively open forum...I take it your boss doesn't troll through these boards, MD, or I'd save the cash for the LCD and use it to fund your unemployment...

Can someone get fired for saying that they want to quit their job?
in sweden you can practically never fire anyone unless the whole business is failing.

In the US, it's definitely different. You couldn't fire someone for saying they're going to look for something else, or quit...but I think many employers would start compiling documentation on that employee for any transgressions or tardiness, to put themselves in a position where firing that employee is at least an option. There are probably work relationships that are open enough to be able to say, 'this isn't working for me' and still be considered a valued employee while you're there; sadly, I think these situations are pretty rare in the States...

No one put in a good word for the Formac LCDs...I love those things!

mseydel said:
While the LCD discussion is entertaining, MDLarson cracks me up for airing his thoughts about quitting on a relatively open forum...I take it your boss doesn't troll through these boards, MD, or I'd save the cash for the LCD and use it to fund your unemployment...
Ah, well, things change when your dad is your boss... ;)

My dad definitely doesn't check these forums, and if he did, I wouldn't mind. We have had open discussions about me leaving anyway, but of course an open forum like this is not the place to talk about such things...

Over here, people can definitely be fired for talkin' smack about their jobs... case in point: Dooce. But for simply talking about quitting, your boss would have to be a real hard-ass to fire you over that. Especially if you were talking about quitting AT your job.

Back